• Forum membership has its advantages....

Barstow Clean Up

Junior

I thought the turnout was great. I also want to thank all of those that were there as well as those whe contributed in other ways. Specifically, thanks to Herbst for the beverages, thanks to Rory for the artwork. One glance at the event shirt will show you the number of folks helping out in other ways. One of the reasons I show up personally is because I dont really do anything for the cause the rest of the year, believe me if I could I would rather just cut a check for mega $$ to CORDR and not get dirty. I get loads of warm fuzzy's by doing this and alot of pats on the back for the long drive involved.

The BBQ was great and free beer to boot. Had a great time and will be there next year with entire family in tow.

Junior
EJR Racing #244

Mike_McCluskey

My son and I also had a good time. I let me kid drive my truck while I walked and picked up trash. He had a blast. Wants to know when he can drive the motorhome!! We scored the Laughlin trip. Much thanks to Riverinfo.com. I think thats the Spencer Low Racing group? I was a little disappointed in the turnout. I thought after the first year we would have doubled the number of people. Considering the number of registered users on this site alone I thought 200 was an easy number to reach.
One thing I did notice was that most of the trash was NOT in the areas we use. Most of it was by the college and other easy access areas for dumping. It will be bigger and better next year. Just my humble opinion.

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK SLASH X FOR THE EXCELLENT FOOD AFTER THE CLEAN UP!! THOSE RIBS WERE SOOO GOOD! I'D DO IT EVERY YEAR JUST FOR THE FOOD.

Everybody needs to make an effort to thank all the people who helped organize that event. Lots of work and personal time given up to put the event on. Much more than the few hours we all put in to clean.

frankh

Tigger and Dani maybe you should be thanking the IP group after all they are one of the reasons that you can state the most of the clean up was not from where the racing is but from local dumping there own trash. But even more important than giving our own a hard time maybe you should be pointing out how many of the so-called environmental protection people were out there. They are all gun oh about shutting the land down but not about cleaning up. One reason may be is that if it gets all cleaned up they would have nothing to bitch about. I saw a show on T.V this week where they were trying to make a case that environmental protection should fall under the military. It was not making much sense till they started talking about money. They stated that if we (USA) spent part of the military money that we spend on new weapons we could make head way on new form of energy. It is funny what they will do to get their hands on power. The parts that I can’t understand is how stupid some of are elected official are because you know the will fall for it.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
I am all over next years clean-up... sign me up! Me and Dominic had a blast out there hangin' out and picking up refrigerators, Erin did too although she came dressed a little inapropriate at the beginning. We put in a good effort and got a good time out of it. At first I thought the same thing those of you who probably didn't go thought... yeah this is gonna be lame goin and gettin dirty pickin up trash, to hell with it, but the fact is it wasnt, or maybe I just love the desert. I brought friends out who don't even go to the desert and they had a good time. The BBQ and videos were cool. The food was awesome, thanks Slash X ,and free beer reels me in anytime.

I would like to thank everybody who did show up and especialy CORDR. Tony, Paige, or Sherryl Email me and let me know how I can help out with you guys. I have limited money and time with school, work, race team, etc.. but I am willing to give what I got.

Hope we can schedule more of these and get more media coverage.

Paige I need directions to DRE to get you that shovel and I also wanted to know if you had the pictures you took posted anywhere...Specificaly ones of Me, Dom, or Erin.

Kris

When in doubt, GAS IT!

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Yes, I know. This is not Desert Racer. Did I use any curse words? Did I say something wrong? No, I stated the truth from my (and many others) point of view. Just because the content of my posting was something that YOU disagreed with doesn't make it wrong. I'm soooo sorry, but I call it like I see it.

And THANK YOU Mr. Biting for participating in our clean up. We greatly appreciated your efforts! =)

~~aka~~ Danihoe

~~KEEP THE DESERT CLEAN~~

FABRICATOR

Frankh, the part about using the military to cover this sounds an awful lot like the Hate Crime laws. Except for just a few new laws, all this did was bring federal money in to prosecute offenders of existing laws.

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

Score 44

<font color="DarkOrchid">Think Strange</font>
The Getto Rolls & I had a great time ....Teamed up with CJ for half the day ....I was pressed for time....Had too prep / load up/ and get to OSSPEEDWAY ...Do some drivin...Mrs. D. lookin forward to next year....

http://prerunners.com/strangesig.jpg</A>">

rdc

Frank, I would ask you reread my post. I did not slam IP. I did thank them for cleaning up after the races. But it was flat out wrong of them to throw a party on the same day as the clean up considering we had set the date at the beinging of the year. They could have done their thing on Sunday. What I was trying to piont out is that IP has the ability to get the younger crowd out to the clean up by making it the cool thing to do. But if you had a choice between picking up trash or going to a party to see off Dan's truck and watch race video's what would you do? I hope Jen and Greg don't take insult to my post but instead understand the power they have at their figer tips to help things.

Also Frank you did your part in being one of our biggest sponsors (Telcom/ Motion Tire). Thank you very much for your support!!!!

And I also forgot to say thanks to another CORDR crew member: Eric, sorry, thanks for coming out all they way from Vegas..

Tony

Junior

Oh, I almost forgot. Why would we have the cleanup at the same place every year? You guys do have other areas in Cali to ride don't you? How about Plaster city area? (that makes 2 right there) Maybe other areas don't have such a problem with dumping, I am somewhat uninformed. The desert area around Barstow is quite nice. I have only been there twice, once for each cleanup. You folks that go out there from time to time MUST keep your eyes open for those punks who are dumping trash all over your desert. Get a plate number, photo's or whatever info you got and take it to the BLM.

I'll hangup now and listen.........

Junior
EJR Racing #244

rdc

I would like to let everyone know that ALL of my post are my opinion and NOT the views or opinion of CORDR.

Others and I have put in time for free to try and keep the desert open. It saddens me to see the lack of support. I just got of the phone with a friend who doesn't go to the desert and he told me he heard on the radio this weekend that an OHV area was closed. Does anyone know where this is?

And in closing. If you think I have slammed you or anyone else then please step up! I will show you what slamming is all about. I hope I do not have to do that. Trust me I have held back BIG TIME! I like you all and don't want to slam anyone but if it is asked for then I will deliver!

Tony

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
All washes in Sanbernadino and riverside county have been closed to OHV. That includes a major part of Glamis. I think they did this becasue too many people would park at the washes at Glamis and avoind having to pay the fees. They blamed it on the Turtle living by the washes. I think their are more places that have taken ah hit too, but Glamis is the biggest I know of.

Kris

When in doubt, GAS IT!

BradM

Frank was more than just an event sponsor. I was there and I represent N2S Racing and Motion Tire Motorsports. Frank had to finish preping his 12 car for the 1000 and making sure that Carolyn's truck is ready to race at the next MDR race. I am sure that other people that didn't show up had legitimate reasons or other commitments too. Let's try to keep it positive. Thanks to all those who did come and help. Maybe others will try to reserve the date for next year.

"The only source of knowledge is experience." - Albert Einstein

Waldo

Safehouse
I would have much rather gone (like I planned) than stay home and take care of stuff that came up!!!

BRAAAAAAAAP!

rdc

I too need to make it clear that my posts are not the opinion of anyone but myself. I may be a member of CORDR but this is NOT the opinion of CORDR.

Dani/Danihoe

Wayne_Nosala

Hey gang,
I had a great time this weekend!
I dont want to get into the pissing match here, but i have run across
Jen & the Volinteer IP folks may times in the blazing hot desert
working on courses for MDR

Thanks Blake Monk for the $100.00 in cash prize for the CORE pit club

I actually had jumper cables hooked between my desert buggy & a Rolls Royce pre-runner!...ya dont see that every day :)
cool to meet Chuck Strange

Ann, I will have to give that ride next time, i was looking for you as things
were wrapping up

We never would have got so much done in Collage hill without the Bobcat & dumptruck
most of that trash was so close to the dump, we could have hit the entrence
by throwing a rock at it!

Cool to finally meet Klaus, Ive seen the DP movie a few times already, but i stayed
& watched it again at the BBQ
The food was awesome!

I also won a $200.00 certificate for Fab-tech, do these guys have a catalog?
Do they sell buggy stuff?...just kidding,I will get thier # off the cert

The Donehoe's are WAY COOL people for putting this all together

See ya next time
Wayne

mike_hinson

Tigger,
I received this this morning from our local Bakersfield mountain bike club which is also involved in public access issues. The news is quite disturbing. Looks like it came from the Sacramento Bee.
Mike

***********************************************************************************************************************
Feds close popular desert land to off-road vehicles
By Christina Almeida
Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- In a move to protect endangered species in the California desert, federal officials have banned off-road vehicles from several popular locations in Imperial, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties.

The U.S. Bureau of Land Management announced the closures Friday, which will affect more than 100,000 acres of public land.

"Our primary goal is to provide protection for a variety of endangered plant and animal species," said BLM spokesman Doran Sanchez.

The closures, which include roads in Edwards Bowl, the lower Chemehuevi Valley and the Imperial Sand Dunes, are part of a settlement agreement with the Center for Biological Diversity, the Sierra Club and the Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility.

The groups filed suit last year, demanding they implement closures to protect several species including the endangered desert tortoise.

"This will help to provide some of the relief to hopefully save the (desert tortoise) from going extinct in California," said Daniel Patterson, a desert ecologist for the Center for Biological Diversity. "The only way you have to protect it is to protect its habitat."

Off-road vehicles also will be banned from all drivable washes in the three counties and 25,000 acres just east of the Imperial Sand Dunes, a popular off-roading location in Imperial County. Earlier this year, 40 percent of the Imperial Sand Dunes was closed to off-road vehicles in order to prevent extinction of the endangered Peirson's milk-vetch, a plant species.

All the closures have been implemented on a temporary basis, until the BLM can consult with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service as required by the Endangered Species Act to complete new regional land management plans.

Patterson said he expects the closures to be part of the new plans.

"The closures bring more of a center balance to the public lands in the area," he said. "Hopefully, the BLM will put forth a transportation system that makes more sense."

Problems? Suggestions? Let us hear from you. / Copyright © The Sacramento Bee

Jack

I just hate to see a brake up over this, yes some people did not show up, but I know we made a diference and hopfully it will be bigger next year, not smaller because sombodies fellings got hurt.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Tigger,

Just to let you know everyone does not think the same way. I do not think that everyone needs to "re-evaluate your priorites", who is to say that it needs to be everyones priorty to go clean up the desert. I am not saying that its not good or cool, it certanly is a very good thing and I commend all who helped out. But I DO NOT think that everyone that didn't go is a bad person and should be ashamed. People do have lives other than "the desert scene". What makes you think that you can "show you what slamming is all about", are you God and know all the answers? It seems like if you dont get what you want or something happens that you dont like you just get all pissed off and complain and everyone should do what you say. Sometimes its better not to talk and just to sit back and listen. And I don't think the way you responded to the situation at my house was very grown up either and not much like a person I would like to be assoicated with. You are a cool guy but sometimes I think you just talk to much and if something doesn't go your way its the wrong way.

As far as the cleanup, I agree that it should be held in a different location. It seems like mostly what the trash was is refrigirators, couches, stoves, dryers. When is the last time you saw someone going to the desert bringing one of those with them? It sounds like that area is just a big dumping ground for the locals. I know that where I goto the desert, (ocotillo wells) there is sometimes trash there that was obviously from desert people. We could use a big organized cleanup out there. Even at Glamis would be cool. I was sorry I couldnt make it this year as I had prior plans but I will be there next year for sure!

Go Big Or Go Home

rdc

CORDR "COALITION of OFF ROAD DESERT RACERS" ----

I believe the dedication of this group is to DESERT RACERS. There is no desert racing in a few of the places mentioned that may need cleaning, such as Ocotillo Wells (sp?). That does not mean that the area doesn't need to be cleaned up --- maybe one of the various clubs --- truck, jeep, bike ---- should have an event that cleans up that area. This is was only CORDR's second annual clean-up. I'm sure over time that CORDR may be able to schedule clean-up's in other places besides Barstow and maybe have more than just one per year. However, getting people to attend the clean-up is the problem. This clean-up was planned almost one year in advance. Only 169 people (who are all wonderful great caring people) came. CORDR is a very new non-profit organization and probably cannot fund too many clean-ups per year. Hopefully in the future CORDR can. But then again, the future looks pretty grim for desert racing and for all OHV users. Eco-freaks want complete control of land use --- they will do anything. Remember --- some of these freaks will live in a tree for years and years just to support their cause. They don't have all their marbles and have lost all their screws. CORDR can only do so much, especially without the support of EVERYONE associated with desert racing.

Once again, this is MY opinion, not the opinion of CORDR.

rdc

Fish don't use what happened at your house against me on this or for that matter even bring it here! I don't talk about peoples private lives on this board and neither should anyone. Fish if the drive was to far then maybe you should have gone to the clean up that was in ocotillo wells on Saturday also. At least I remember reading on here that there was going to be one. I never said I was God and knew all the answers. And you are a prime example of a person who doesn't read a post in its entirety before you go shooting your mouth off. I just stated that I had not slammed anyone, never was my intentions. But if you wish that I slam you then please step up. Are you stepping up Fish? Don't be all bent because I decided to take my tools back and now you have to find another way to to do work on your truck.

As for clean ups at Glamis you should go check out the ASA web site. Their are clean ups out there all the time. It bothers me that if you wanted to help but Barstow was to far to drive that you did not ask me if there was anything else you could do. You backed out of everything you said you would help with concerning the clean-up. You can find time to run to the desert when ever you want but not to clean up.... Yes the trash in Barstow is not form the racers or other off-roaders but it makes us the big people for doing something about it. If you ever came to a BLM meeting you would know the positive impacts it has. I never said that people that didn't come out were bad people. I know there were a lot of people who helped in other ways. But I do know that it could be so much, much more.

And to everyone. Don't think they are going to close the desert I think you need to read a few post up.

Don't hate me. Don't spend your time trying to tell me what I did wrong. Get motivated and do something! And if you have done your part then THANK YOU!

Fish I think your a good kid. You are yet to see the big picture, but that will come in time. I would still like to be friends, go to the desert together. I just thought I better get out of something that was going to get real bad. I don't see how that is imature.

Tony