Barstow to las vegas

drewd

Reaction
Does anyone know of any trails that can get me from barstow (stoddard, lucerne, ect.) to Las Vegas. Maps or GPS for lowrance would be awesome. We have street legal baja bugs (kinda) and a couple of jeeps so short drives on paved roads are ok. Thank You

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
You might want to try the "bike" section for this too. There are trails all mapped out with gas stops, but I have no idea who has them.

Mike

Chaplain

God Dude
Reaction
Website
teamrfc.gospelcom.net
Does anyone know of any trails that can get me from barstow (stoddard, lucerne, ect.) to Las Vegas. Maps or GPS for lowrance would be awesome. We have street legal baja bugs (kinda) and a couple of jeeps so short drives on paved roads are ok. Thank You

Ya, there is a two track road (arrowhead trail) that I take from time to time when I've had it with the traffic. It parallels the highway pretty close, mainly on the northwest side. Look for these funny looking dark poles every 25 yards or so that stick out about 10 to 15 feet. They have a danger sign on them, maybe a gas line. Keep an eye out for fences crossing the trail, you never know when the bobwire gate is closed.

Never driven the whole thing, just miles here and there to break up the drive. Look on google earth.

Last edited:

BajaFand

Reaction
There is a powerline road that will take you from just below the Agg. stop in Yermo all the way to Primm.

drewd

Reaction
My buddy keeps telling be that there is a race from barstow to vegas. Is this true. It would be great take the coarse. We are planning two days out, one night stay with a friend who lives in vegas, and then two days back.

kenaroo

Reaction
My buddy keeps telling be that there is a race from barstow to vegas. Is this true. It would be great take the coarse. We are planning two days out, one night stay with a friend who lives in vegas, and then two days back.

That race hasn't been done in 15 years or more.. AMA has a dual sport motorcycle ride every year that goes from Barstow to Vegas

mrmatt

Reaction
Website
www.myspace.com
Was the Barstow to Vegas race only bikes or did 4 wheel (buggy/trucks) ever run this race. I have always thought it would be a fun ride and was thinking maybe it could be a fun race?? Any chance of that ever happening?

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
Go to District 38 dual sport website and ask if anyone has the LA-B-V GPS file. They might give it to you if you ask nicely.

The Los Angelas to Barstow to Vegas Dualsport ride follows the old B-V course. A fun ride, but your bike better have legs.

Chase 2

Reaction
Was the Barstow to Vegas race only bikes or did 4 wheel (buggy/trucks) ever run this race. I have always thought it would be a fun ride and was thinking maybe it could be a fun race?? Any chance of that ever happening?

Bikes only. Here's a pic of me on a 125cc Yamaha riding to a win in the 250cc Novice class in the 1970 B to V.

1970B2V.jpg

drewd

Reaction
I'll try the district 38 guys and see what they say. Maybe I will just have to map it out myself.

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com

88 was the last year of B 2 V (I was 17 and it was my only B2V). Only bikes and quads. One hell of a race for sure. Wish it was still around.

Chase 2

Reaction
I'll try the district 38 guys and see what they say. Maybe I will just have to map it out myself.

The Dual sport ride is put on by District 37 not District 38. D-37 dual sport forums can be found here: http://www.district37ama.org/forums/index.php

I've done both the race and the dual sport. There are many ways to get from B to V on dirt. The dual sport guys have used many different ways more than the race used but, they rarely use much of the original race routes. Remember that the route passes through the Mojave preserve or wilderness or what ever that call all that "closed" area. AAA maps actually show several different routes if you want dirt roads. Years ago I did the Team Dual Dogs "Iron Butt 1000" which was the LA,B2V ride then turn around in Vegas and ride back to LA. Damon Powell (Mr. Dual Dogs) handed out copies of AAA maps that had the route highlighted.

drewd

Reaction
Is the Mohave preserve closed to everyone or just ohv vehicles? I'll see if I can stop by AAA and pick up a map. I was 4 years old in '88. I can map it out myself but I would rather take a proven route instead of guessing. Would the district 37 b2v routes be 4 wheel friendly? Single track might give us a problem. Thanks again for the help.

RonLacy

Reaction
The "Barstow to Vegas" was only dirt bikes only, until later when they allowed ATV's? It was one of the toughest MC races, like almost 200 miles and NO roads, not even dirt roads.
I raced it in 1973, it was my favorite race of all time. However, I lived in Northern California, so it was a lot of trouble to make it there! The "Barstow to Vegas" race was STOPPED by the environmentalist, I think in the 1990's!! Someone else said 1988 was the last year for the race, so that was 33 years ago! :-( As far as I can tell they still do the Dual-Sport ride?
No race since 1988, but they do have a Dual-Sport ride. Dual Sport means street legal dirt bikes, some also allow ATV's, but it depends on the course. The original Dual-Sports were motorcycle only. The "DUAL" came from some of the trails could only be connected via roads, usually dirt and the rest of the course was single track, and that is why it was MC only.