Bastage Beam Cars?

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Curious to hear how many beam (buggy) cars out there run engines outside of class rules, ie 12, 10 etc. I know alot run in sportsman, but would like to know what size engine you run (air/water cooled) and how often you race.

The purpose of this thread is to see if enough people with older cars are interested in starting a new pro class to go out and race these cars with a bigger payback. I've seen alot of this type of cars for sale over the years and think we can have fun racing something differant like the old days. Most of the cars I have seen are old Class 1 cars from the 80's/90's.

Thoughts? Ideas?

HSD RACE

I like the idea! I am working on an older beam car (Pistol Pete's old 5 unlimited car) that I put a 4.3 chevy v6 into. I race a 12 car, but was thinking about some sportsman races in the "5 car" win it's finished. Sounds cool!!

joe1369

I think SPORTSMAN UNLIMITED is thin enough now, we don't really need another class to thin the heard. Beams, or no beams, I think at the Barstow, Lucerne, Ridgecrest, preparation and not getting flats, seperate the winners from loosers, in 10, 12, 16, and sportsman unlimited 1350, times are very close, look at the JOHN DEERE car, its a beam and it rocks, the older cars need to come out of hiding, but add an extra $100.00 or $200.00 to the entry and make it a pro-class, I don't think will bring the old cars out of the garages???? JMHO :D

Martin

UGH a new class! That is why class 12 was started for the older beam 10 cars. My 12 car was built in 1988 and can run with the best of them, Pinkie maybe older and is class champ last year.

Fourstroker

I recently sold our Bastage Beam car. It was an old Raceco with a 1914 we ran in Class 10 at MORE. The new owner is putting a different motor in and plans on Class 12. It was a tough pill to swallow racing against Cepielek, Chicas, Dunn, etc in our old car but it certainly made us drive that thing hard.

URNOTFAST

I think SPORTSMAN UNLIMITED is thin enough now, we don't really need another class to thin the heard. Beams, or no beams, I think at the Barstow, Lucerne, Ridgecrest, preparation and not getting flats, seperate the winners from loosers, in 10, 12, 16, and sportsman unlimited 1350, times are very close, look at the JOHN DEERE car, its a beam and it rocks, the older cars need to come out of hiding, but add an extra $100.00 or $200.00 to the entry and make it a pro-class, I don't think will bring the old cars out of the garages???? JMHO :D
Hold on here a minute...I think youre comparing apples to oranges...I was at the last MORE race and I saw that big ugly black car with the deer on it, what I understand is that its not so muchh the car, but the two young kids that drive it. There is no way that that car could compete if that sheriff car that won, drove his car the way it should be driven or even that damsel car. Those cars are far superior. If that black deer car shows up at a SCORE or BITD race, the question of a class 1 beam car being competitive, would be answered....NO WAY. ~Gruden Sizemore

Jeffers909

Hold on here a minute...I think youre comparing apples to oranges...I was at the last MORE race and I saw that big ugly black car with the deer on it, what I understand is that its not so muchh the car, but the two young kids that drive it. There is no way that that car could compete if that sheriff car that won, drove his car the way it should be driven or even that damsel car. Those cars are far superior. If that black deer car shows up at a SCORE or BITD race, the question of a class 1 beam car being competitive, would be answered....NO WAY. ~Gruden Sizemore
I'm really flattered that you credit our success to the driving of James and I, but you too are a little off base. The car has yet to reach its full potential and even so, our mph averages are competitive at any race you can think to pull up. Once all the bugs are worked out, don't worry, the question will be answered, we will be racing at SCORE and BITD and we will be competitive. If you want to credit that to all driving talent then go ahead, I'm flattered.

Cody Jeffers #109
Ward and Jeffers Racing
"EAT1N' A-ARMS AND SH1TT1N' V8's"

Jeffers909

And yes I do agree. If any 500 hp Class 1 drives a whole race at the level the car is capable of, we shouldn't be even close. The problem is, they can't be driven 110% for a whole race, only for one or two laps at a time without some sort of problem: flats, a-arms ripped off, wheels wrong side up. There is no better example then Letners and Robby Gordon. They used to drive 110% until their cars broke, but after awhile you get tired of DNF's and downtime. Now Robby is getting nerfed by Clyde Stout!!! Ohh wait, then Clyde wadded it up. Letners have been named the fastest around but how many wins??? Those cars and trucks can't be driven that hard for a whole race. It's that simple. We chose to build a car that can be driven 110% for 500 miles, and we are right there competing with the big boys. It's that simple.

Cody Jeffers #109
Ward and Jeffers Racing

URNOTFAST

And yes I do agree. If any 500 hp Class 1 drives a whole race at the level the car is capable of, we shouldn't be even close. The problem is, they can't be driven 110% for a whole race, only for one or two laps at a time without some sort of problem: flats, a-arms ripped off, wheels wrong side up. There is no better example then Letners and Robby Gordon. They used to drive 110% until their cars broke, but after awhile you get tired of DNF's and downtime. Now Robby is getting nerfed by Clyde Stout!!! Ohh wait, then Clyde wadded it up. Letners have been named the fastest around but how many wins??? Those cars and trucks can't be driven that hard for a whole race. It's that simple. We chose to build a car that can be driven 110% for 500 miles, and we are right there competing with the big boys. It's that simple.

Cody Jeffers #109
Ward and Jeffers Racing
Ah hah my young friend...I believe I have touched a nerve! It is great to be young and confident, but that too comes with its own downfalls. There is no prudent, scientific and you could add realistic way that a 20 year old design off road vehicle could keep the same lap times that a car built with todays technology and hp. Your statements are rather brash about the great Robby Gordon. I believe he has a track record to defend himself with. As I said before, a MORE race is not an example of the competition, of todays driver and technology. Not to put MORE down, it is a great low budget organization and the promoter can be proud of his success, however, the "big boys" choose not to race there. I was at the awards ceremony...which one are you? The long haired with bandana? Or the big one who spoke? It will be interesting to watch in the future. Its too bad that the bigger teams choose not to race in Barstow. Its a great track to be a spectator. How many races have you raced to compare lap times? ~Gruden Sizemore

Jeffers909

As I said, the new cars with 500hp and 2-3 feet of travel can and should be able to outrun ours for a lap or two. But they cannot push those cars that hard for a whole race, they break. The trophy trucks also. I wasn't being negative at all toward Robby or Harley. Very very fast, both of them. But they have both slowed down to keep the vehicles they drive together. I never thought I would see the day that Robby was getting nerfed and then left. But a few miles down the road the decision didn't seem that great did it??? What it comes down to is that I hate watching so much $$$, HP, and wheel travel not equate to much at all compared to our "primitive" beam car with 240hp. Sure on a whooped out straight they can push into the 120-130mph marks. But most dont, not for more then a few seconds. The reality is, James and I both want to get every inch out the vehicle we are driving, and it hold up. It didn't work out to well with the 9 car, but this one seems to be doing the job. Hopefully some names will show up to Lucerne for the 500. If there is a place they should run away from us it is Lucerne, practically a freeway. We will see.

Cody Jeffers #109
Ward and Jeffers Racing

Jeffers909

By the way, I'm the one with the bandana. We have 4 races but only three with lap times. The Freedom 250 last July was the same exact course as the Kartek Dual this January. We ran laps on that course in January equal to and faster then Letner, Househoulder, and Pistol Pete did last July. Our first lap included a 3 min driver change, on corrected time it was faster then any lap ran in July. Look it up if you want. Barstow is considered one of the roughest courses, yet our mph averages compare with the unlimiteds in SCORE and BITD on way faster courses. Time will tell.

You may not have seen initial post last year about this car, but once you have read that, you would understand why this struck a nerve. Needless to say, the rear cage is still intact. : )

Cody Jeffers #109
Ward and Jeffers Racing

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
I love the whole thread of people saying it was gunna be slow. hahahahah

Post some pictures!
ya .... i think once they get that thing totally dialed, it's going to be a total sleeper!! ive liked the idea of that car from the begining...

i will admit, at first i was a little skeptical but after riding in our new 12 car and seeing what it could do i could only imagine what a beam car with no limits is capable of..

LONESTARR

es not okaye that car is a tuna boat how es many overalls have you had.I think es letner must have stopped and got out for a sandwich every lap if your times were the same .

By the way, I'm the one with the bandana. We have 4 races but only three with lap times. The Freedom 250 last July was the same exact course as the Kartek Dual this January. We ran laps on that course in January equal to and faster then Letner, Househoulder, and Pistol Pete did last July. Our first lap included a 3 min driver change, on corrected time it was faster then any lap ran in July. Look it up if you want. Barstow is considered one of the roughest courses, yet our mph averages compare with the unlimiteds in SCORE and BITD on way faster courses. Time will tell.

You may not have seen initial post last year about this car, but once you have read that, you would understand why this struck a nerve. Needless to say, the rear cage is still intact. : )

Cody Jeffers #109
Ward and Jeffers Racing
Young Jeffers I am just curious why you would build a brand new class 1 car with such outdated technology. Surely you would have been better off to maybe try a few newer upgrades such as maybe a A-arms with a type 4 or maybe a 6-cyl Subaru. Would a V8 have been out of the question? I think an LS motor is cheaper than a type 4 FAT motor, so cost could not have been you're only motive. You boys are much too young to remember the days when that car that you drive was superior. I have seen the Letners at Barstow and they are blindingly fast. I think you may have bitten off more than you can chew if the Letners really wanted to overtake and pass you. I think it might come quite easily actually. In some ways I hope I'm wrong. You boys definitely have character and being so young, drving class 1, one would definitely root for the underdog. Good Luck! I'll be at Lucerne. ~Gruden Szemore

joe1369

Wow what a thread highjacking, GO DEERE, this was about a new class for old cars, may we resume the discussion??? Who wants another class???? Couldn't some of those short cars run in the new ECOTECH class?;)

jward909

Young Jeffers I am just curious why you would build a brand new class 1 car with such outdated technology. Surely you would have been better off to maybe try a few newer upgrades such as maybe a A-arms with a type 4 or maybe a 6-cyl Subaru. Would a V8 have been out of the question? I think an LS motor is cheaper than a type 4 FAT motor, so cost could not have been you're only motive. You boys are much too young to remember the days when that car that you drive was superior. I have seen the Letners at Barstow and they are blindingly fast. I think you may have bitten off more than you can chew if the Letners really wanted to overtake and pass you. I think it might come quite easily actually. In some ways I hope I'm wrong. You boys definitely have character and being so young, drving class 1, one would definitely root for the underdog. Good Luck! I'll be at Lucerne. ~Gruden Szemore
Hey Cody don't know who is trying to get at us, but if it's really mom and pop Jeffers they ought to stick to getting the race car ready and leave the internet to us!If they had more time on the race car and less time on the internet the car would actually be ready for us to drive as hard as we want to. Anyway, this is funny stuff!!! Sorry about the highjacking of the thread.

JWard
Ward&Jeffers 109