battery???

PBR

what kind of batteries is everyone running in your race trucks/buggies???

desertracer

We have 2 AirBorn off-road batteries from Kartek, they are the smaller sealed gell filled ones. Then we are running a Turbo Start 16/12V battery from New Castle batteries. This battery has both a 16v and 12v post and we use the 16v for starting. We have to run a Boost box which ups the regular alternator 13-14v to 16-19v to charge the 16v. The only small problem we are encountering is trying to properly run the vent for the 16v battery without the fitting vibrating loose or losing all of the acid. Other than this small problem the 16v has been a savior for us when it comes to starting our car. If you are having troubles starting with a regular 12v battery I would look into this one for sure.

RRose

Optima.... costco has them for $100 right now!

singlehanded

aren't the costco ones a special make and not the same as the normal red tops???? I think it was discussed before.....

J_Dog

We run an Optima (Yellow top) and have no problems with it. Plan to go with duals next season.

Ryan B

Saw optima at summit racing they have them on sale right now for $89 for the red top.

Josh_K

Ollie, The hot set up in my mind is a Optima red or yellow. Then go to Kartec and get the steel optima battery cradel that holds it in really well. It keeps it from sliding around a arking the side terminals on something. I think they are around $40.00

jeff

One thing on the Optima... you can kill them really easy by placing too much pressure on the top cap. I killed mine that way and talked to Optima about it. If you use a strap or clamp system that places most of the load on the top of the battery it will compress the cells and cause them to fail. Optima said they don't cover that type of damage because it's not their fault and I agree - just a word of caution to prevent someone from having to take a long walk at night

Aloha

PBR

i had a feeling that everyone would say optima, but i haven't had that much luck with them in the prerunner. they never seem to start running low, they just die. i will check out the airborne ones at kartek. thanks for all the info.

ollie.

Rprice

I was climbing this steep hill behind my house in my towrig yesterday and the battery fell out of the tray(broke the strap) and ended up laying on its side and the truck quit right at the top of the hill and the positive battery terminel was touching the fender well and smoking. do you think the battery is dameged it doesnt look to be damaged only thing i see is the positive wire the cap that covers it is melted. thanks for any help

Josh_K

If you are not pre-runnning Mexico or going on long trips, tight on funds and it still works......run it.

In_the_works

How are Kartek's Airborne batteries for a daily driver? They are a little cheaper than an Optima right?

gary

since i work at costco, i got the #'s on our optimas.
910 cranking amps
720 cold cranking amps
90 rc (i dunno what that is..anyone??)
group/size is 75/35.
$99.99
here's the good part. i don't know what the warranty is on them through other places, but with costco, it's 3 year free replacement. if it dies within the first 3 yrs, return it for a full refund. after that, it's pro rated.

1992f150

wishful thinking, but if you get it replaced what kind of warenty does the replacement come with, if any?