• Forum membership has its advantages....

Be Aware Only allowed 4 tires per race vehicle

9rocky

We were taxed at the Otay border yesterday for every spare tire over 6. They tried to say only 4 were allowed, but we had the border crossing letter from SCORE which stated 6. They then placed a value on the tires at $300 each, and taxed us at 16%. Also, make sure you have your original paperwork on your vehicles. They would not take copies this time. Just an FYI for people coming down.

nimrod

KOOK!
I like how a Score letter changed their national border crossing policy. What if someone shows up with a letter that's says 12 tires per vehicle?

9rocky

I agree. I also would like to see any team that covers a 500 mile race with 6 tires, much less the 1000.

sanfelocrew

I am mexican custom broker employee, just to say, that mexican officers are unprepared are sometimed unkwnoledge about mexican laws, you guys came to promote baja, they have to let you in to mexico like that! the best you can do, is to ask in wich articles on mexican custom law they are using to support they decision, and call for a superior, and you know what? They will even known... Sorry but is reality! Mi mexico!

Enviado desde mi XT1528 mediante Tapatalk

ScottWisdom

Still wondering about the trailer spares if anyone knows. I'm also wondering if anyone has used the TJ border crossing into Mexico this week with a truck and flatbed trailer with buggy. SCORE site recommends Otay Mesa crossing but it adds drive time.

Mark Newhan

For the NORRA event, we were instructed to go through the Otay crossing. They did have us pull into secondary to check everything from VIN's on the trailer and race truck. They also looked at our cargo, including tires. For NORRA, it was only 2 spares per vehicle, not including the spares on the race vehicle.

sanfelocrew

Still wondering about the trailer spares if anyone knows. I'm also wondering if anyone has used the TJ border crossing into Mexico this week with a truck and flatbed trailer with buggy. SCORE site recommends Otay Mesa crossing but it adds drive time.
Hi, mexican regulation is one spare for car, so, id you have your trailer, has to be also a spare for that, is common sense, also, paid taxes for extra spares? Your not going to sell the tires in mexico right? Personally do not know how score make the arregments with customs law...

Enviado desde mi XT1528 mediante Tapatalk

9rocky

I understood it has being 4 tires per vehicle. As in per chase truck.
That is not how they looked at it at Otay. We had 3 trucks, 2 racecars and a pre runner. Should have been allowed 36 tires then. And they only counted car tires. Did not seem interested in trailer spares.