beadlock wheels

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
Is there a good 15x7 rim that comes with the beadlock on already, rather than modifying an existing wheel? Also, if there weren’t any good rims that come with a beadlock, what material of rim would best suit the beadlock modification? Any brand recommendations, what should I look out for, and where should I get the rims? Budget of around $250 per rim including beadlock, at least that seems like what I would end up paying.

"Those who risk nothing, are nothing."

Ryno

Reaction
I know Champion is probably the biggest name when it comes to beadlocks. www.championwheel.com
Also, call Race Ready Products, they have them as well, or they can order them. $250 is pretty reasonable for just a 15x7....when you get up to 17" they get pretty pricey. Only thing that's not cool for a street truck is putting air in the tires about every 3rd to 4th day...gets old quick.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
A little silicone on the bead will fix the leaking problem. Easy to remove with gasket remover.

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
is air leak a real problem? this will be for a street application.

jeff

Reaction
Don't forget that beadlocks are illegal on the street. Just tell the cop they are a SIMULATED bead lock. Go find a brochure from a company that makes a SIMULATED beadlock wheel that looks like your own and keep it in the glovebox.

A properly mounted, sealed, and torqued beadlock should not leak air. If you've never played with beadlocks get ready to spend more time than you thought possible tightening the fasteners. Some of the crawler beadlocks out there have at least 30 on each wheel... that's 120 fasteners you have to torque and re-torque in sequence over and over and over and over and over and over...

Aloha

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
And over and over...... I have a cordless drill/driver with a clutch on it. just set to the apropriate torque and go around about 5 times......

IDRA_CRB

Reaction
Why are beadlocks illegal?

Frankly, I don't see why anyone would want them on a street vehicle, but I don't see where they would violate any vehicle code section.

Reese

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Same reason 5 points are I beleve....if used incorrectly they will fail and cause damage or death.

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

jeff

Reaction
For what it's worth... I was out at the ARCA Rockcrawling Championships on Saturday and saw a few entries running without beadlocks. Unless you are really worried about losing a bead a beadlock might be a waste of money on a daily driver. I've been going back and forth about getting a set for my Bronco but I still haven't decided. If you wanted to beadlock some Mickey Thompson wheels I've got access to the Classic and Classic II for a pretty fair price.

Aloha

pciscott

Reaction
Bead locks should not leak when put together properly. The Robby Gordon Wheels are $300 each with a beadlock ring for a 17 inch wheel. The 15 inch Wheels are $275 each with ring. I think the legality issue is red tape because the wheels are not dot approved. We are getting a set polished up for the new prerunner. They are a great looking wheel. Call Robby Gordon racing if you need any, email me if you need the number my address book is at the shop. Goodnight.

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Trophy Truck #7

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
have any pics of the robby gordon wheel?

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
how ofter do the bolts have to be tightened?

Jimmy8

Reaction
I got a set of the Team Gordon wheels about a month ago for the new trophy truck. They are an absolutly beautiful wheel. Jeffries, fortin, and the letners are all running them. As for beadlocks leaking and on the street, my prerunner has a set of ultra beadlocks on it, and they have been on it for 2 years and the tires haven't gone flat yet. It is street legal, and I have never been bugged about them. Keep in mind you will also need to buy 24 grade 8 bolts w/ lock washers for each wheel as well. We have a small 3/8 drive impact we use when mounting them. Jesse Jones is also making a forged beadlock now that is a real nice piece of work, but they are a little more expensive I believe.

Trophy Truck #15
www.jimmybeaver.com

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
anyone have pics of these trucks with the rims?

Stan

Reaction
A guy in my 4x4 club is done with beadlocks. He was replacing bolts everyday because they kept on breaking. Also, on the legality issue, it's a DOT issue. This issue has been/still is rehashed on a 4x4 message board every so often, and the only thing anyone can come up with is it's a DOT legality issue. Now, in 1995, the CVC specifically listed beadlocks being illegal in this state, but it is not listed anymore.

I'm not here, nor was I here, nor will I ever be here.

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
who makes these rims? Do they come in 15" x 7" and can they be non-beadlocked aswell?

Attachments