Beam Bushings

Cameron

Reaction
What's the best way to remove the original bushings from the front beam to put in the delrin bushings?
I tried a slide hamer with a hook but can't get the inner bushings out. The outers came out without a problem. Any suggestions would be great.

<font color=red>Cameron</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>BRAT Racing # 936</font color=yellow>

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
Sometimes taking the leafs out and sticking a long piece of small round stock or ? and tapping it out from the other side works.

Protech975

Reaction
The original inner bushings are made of Micarta " a hard resin material" and thay can actually be split in half and then simply pulled out. Take a very long handled screwdriver or other chisel like tool and put the blade up against the bushing and give it a good wack! it should split or crack enough to then just reach in and drag it out! Sounds primitive but it works!
A Pro VW tool uses a slide hammer with a flattened washer type tool that can be layed flat to slip through the bushing then straightened up against the bushing and pounded out! Rob S.

TimHayosh

Reaction
The tool Rob mentions sounds best. I have used a single leaf and/or a piece of all-thread rod and tapped from the opposite side. Sometimes heating the beam helps too. I have heard of others who simply bash it in farther. Additionally, I remember having to "notch" the new bushings to clear three rises inside the beam. The new bushing will almost fit if you don't notch. It's a perfect fit if you do.

Just $0.02 worth.

Happy motoring, Tim

Cameron

Reaction
Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can break the bushings or tap them out from the other end.

Cameron

Reaction
Breaking the bushings with a screwdriver did the trick!
Thanx again for the info.

Protech975

Reaction
Re: Beam Bushings - 2 year old post forward!

Dave - Same subject but two years old! Give these suggestions a try! Rob S.

class7s

Reaction
I got the outer bushing out with no problem, it is the bearing that is killing me

Protech975

Reaction
Dave, Try taking a piece of pipe or steel rod, largest you can slip through the center section and use it to drive the bearing out from the opposite side. Try a bit of heat if it is stubborn. It should come out if they are not rusted to the beam. Rob S.

Cameron

Reaction
I ended up making a tool to use with a slide hamer. I used a piece of heavy angle iron that would fit inside the bushing, rounding one side to match the inside of the beam. I then welded a bolt to the other side to thread it on to the slide hamer. It still took a bit of work but I got the bushings out.

class7s

Reaction
Thanks Cameron, I will try that too, I have a slide hammer with a square hook attachment, I wil just grind that down to fit the beam.