• Forum membership has its advantages....

Beam: CL to Race car--what's needed

y2kbaja

If we want to race class 9 with our vintage car we need to swap the beam from link to BJ. If we get a $30 CL stock beam spindle to spindle what do we need to do to make it race worthy? Turn the centers? Gusset the steering arms? Gusset the arms? weld the speedo hole? Stock leafs ok? Any mods to the beam or are they allowed? Replace the ball joints? Hook and rod stops? What outer tie rod ends are used, do you taper the steering arm to a larger hole to use ford/international? What length front shocks? Losing the power steering :( also means a complete redo of the steering shaft, etc. I also figure we're going to have to redo the cage from the top clamps to the a pillar (that's the easy part since we're redoing a lot up there anyway).

Attachments

Bro_Gill

Need a stock beam, have to redo the upper clamps as the tube spacing is larger on the BL beam. Shocks must fit in factory mounts, so there is really only one size for that. 2.0 with reservoir of the brand of your choice. Stock leaves are fine, and with a single seater, I wouldn't even turn the centers. Singe tube up to 1.5" diameter from the top of one shock over to the other for strength. New balljoints (try to get German) and hook stops are a must. Yes on larger tie rod ends and you can weld a gusset on the steering arms. Also can fill the speedo hole on the driver's side spindle. Arms cannot be gusseted, but stops can be added. If you still have the original machined clamps for the front end, cut them off in one piece, as they are valuable and can be used on old cars that lost them over the years for restoration.

mrmatt

If you want a ball joint beam race ready....contact Doug Silcock...doug969 on rdc

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

y2kbaja

Good info, thanks. Since there are some broken frame diagonals in the front the plan is to cut the top tube off from the a pillar to the beam and replace it along with all the diagonals. Then we can put the top clamp where needed. The 9 guys up here are helping us with some parts. They said they have a beam for us drum to drum with rack mount. I was just going to start looking for parts on CL and just wanted to know what I would have to do to a "new" beam. Reading some other threads, are the spindles the weak link, not the ball joints?