Beam Class 10 Cars

jcarius

Reaction
OK, to open a can of worms ...

I'm thinking about buying a 2 seat car - my gal and I would are talking about doing some desert racing together rather than leaving one of us at the pits ...

There seems to be a rash of beam 10-cars for sale, some of which seem very reasonably priced.
Has the class finally gotten to where if you're not running an A-arm chassis you're just not competitive?

Opinions sought .....

Thanks!

Jim

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
Chuck (Hovey) still races the "old man" raceco beam car in class 1 out at fud and occaisionally at Laughlin when needed! He still dominates the Fud races in it (just ask the McMillions..lol) and has led the Class 1 field at Laughlin (until the heim on the shifter broke). That car works outstanding.

robert_encinas

Reaction
i thought beam cars are now class 12, or score lites. 10 was the a arm cars? or does it go by the motors, air or water cooled?

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
Class 12 = Beam car / air-cooled / limited cc's
Class 10 = Beam or A-arm / limited cc's
Class 1= Run what you brung (except fenders)

Mike_McCluskey

Reaction
The Letners seem to whoop it up with their old beam car. Bob Gordons beam class 1 does quite well. The Fleet Fuels 12 car handles excellent. IMHO beam cars can work just about as well as a-arms if setup properly. I'm sure a-arms have advantages but I don't have any experience with them.

Just my .02 pesos.

El Chinero

Reaction
A-arm car is cushy!
Recent experience:
"Leading" Class 12 @ Henderson - Vic Bruckmann - beam ... not bad
9th Class 1 @ 500 - Stuart Chase - A-arm ... never a jolt

No matter what, NOBODY builds a new "10" with a beam! Or shouldn't

Tony T
El Chismoso

johnnyspeed

Reaction
Whereas I agree that anyone building a new 10 car should probably build an a-arm, BUT Rich Beck with Beck motorsports has done some cool stuff with his beam car. Basically he has done away with the typical "plastic bushing" set up, and converted his front beams to include replacable Bearings. He has about 1000 miles on his set up with no problems. He finished 5th inn SF (3rd in pro-10), second by 30 sec in the 2002 MDR KArtech 400, and 2nd to Ellison's 10 car in the 2001 KArtech by 7 minutes. Basically he has taken his Jimco 12 car, put a bigger WIK motor in it (new rules for 2002), and is running competively. In 2001, he ran cl 10 with his class 12 motor, and until our rear axle broke 1/2 mile from the finish line, we were going to finish 2nd in class 10 at the 2001 Prim 300! (with his old 12 motor). If you/anyone is interested in more info about his front end work, you can contact him at #619/449-4343.

Attachments

tkr

Reaction
up

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing