beating a dead horse

tedmales

Reaction
i have asked this a bunch of times but want one last opinion. I am looking at the the yzf 450 or the raptor. I do not plan on racing, but I have not seen fud in a while might do a team race for fun, but mostly want a fun bike. I am big( 6' 5" and closer to 400lbs then 300) what does everyone think. Its my first quad and want a 4 stroke for ease of operation, and electric spart is cool, but want to get the most bang for my bucks. I am planning to do a little work to whatever i buy, maybe a pipe, a arms and shock to carry my big-ness around, but thats probably it. any help would be great.
thanks
ted

desertratt

Reaction
since you are not going to be racing i'd go with the raptor. it is more of a rec bike where the yfz is more of a race bike.

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Negative on the DS(tank)650. The raptor is fun, with the power and all but handleing is very poor compared to the 450. I have been on both, and I am not big on racing the ATV's but for playing around I liked the 450 better, it was safer and most comfortable out of the two. Don't look at it as a pure race bike, but as the cadillac of the bikes for the moment.

tedmales

Reaction
how about the predator? they are on sale pretty cheap, but why?

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
I have been hearing that they are not that reliable. As well as the only really cool thing about them is the 0 bump steer but who really cares about that, you don't have the sharp atv steering and more parts to fail.

DezGuy

Reaction
Have you ever ridden a DS650? Yes they are heavy but it feels alot lighter when you ride it. If you are a bigger guy there really is no better quad for you. I am building a DS650 for the Baja 1000 and will post some pics soon.

tedmales

Reaction
i have friend who race desert, and he have told me to run away from the ds650. I respect his opinion, and his baja 1000 trophies so i will take his word for it. plus it costs more than a raptor anyway. I have heard that its heavy, but i think the raptor is only a few lbs lighter, but i have narrowed it down to the yzf or the raptor. probably a raptor unless i find a smokin deal on a yzf. gotta love electric start. plus if your going to put shocks and arms on a quad then exactly how it handles when stock is not a big issue. i am not a racer so i think i should be happy with anything i get.

DezGuy

Reaction
Curious who your friend is? The biggest thing when buying a new quad is getting on and riding each one. I will be testing all next month in Plaster City and you are more than welcome to come out and ride mine. I know a really good racer that will not ever race his Raptor again after riding a LTZ400. Than theres his partner that raced a DS and says the LTZ is just OK.

tedmales

Reaction
2004 Kawasaki KFX 700 VForce

anybody heard anything about this beast, i think i changed my mind about the raptor, this one sounds fun.

Attachments

• 68402-kj_kaw_kxf_700_00034.jpg
    68402-kj_kaw_kxf_700_00034.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 242

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
They Debuted it at the PONTE VUX race in france this year. Didn't do so well, wore the riders out. But from what I understand it has no shortage of power.

tedmales

Reaction
it is about the same price as the raptor, but is more powerful, and a large framed bike to match my large frame. the only thing i am not sure about it the belt drive transmission and shaft drive. its like 500 lbs so it heavy, but i am not trying to race moto cross. still thinking raptor, but this one has swayed me a little, plus everything i read says it was the most fun to ride. i know i cannot trust everything i read, but i look around alot and i believe this could be a very fun machine.

Red_Star

Reaction
I'd say go with the 650. Its wider and more stable then the raptor. To me the raptor is too tipsy. If I was to get another quad, it would be a gas gas 450. Super wide

Gas Wild HP 450
Retail Price: $8850
Engine
Type: Single-cylinder, four-valve, four-stroke, DOHC
Displacement: 449cc
Cooling: Liquid-cooled
Carburetion: Fuel injection
Lubrication: Dry sump
Ignition: Integrated engine-management system
Starting: Electric with kickstarter backup
Drivetrain
Drive System: Chain, 2x4