• Forum membership has its advantages....

bed sides

evan_clanin

i was wondering if i was going to pull my bed sides how would i do it..any web sites with directions..or should i just save and buy glass and can i mount glass and still have my stock bed bottom..

thanks in advance
evan

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.therangerstation.com/FenderFlaring.html>http://www.therangerstation.com/FenderFlaring.html</A>

That link has pictures and how to make a tool that makes it easier to do.

I would just flare them and save the 5-700 bucks after having the glass installed(depending on type and who installs it). You can keep your bed if you use glass, but if you are using glass in the rear you are probably already missing half the bed floor anyway. THe easiest way to do that is to drill all the spot welds off the fender skin and the skin will come off allowing you to bolt up the glass.

Flaring the fenders cost less than $20 to do it yourself or $150 at most shops.

Kris

When in doubt, GAS IT!

evan_clanin

okay i stil have my bed..i live in key west..just moved here from cali and im goin disco...no suspension just body

jarreptolson

I have a question requarding glass bedsides, i just got some for my 92 ranger 4x, and i had thought that the method of mounting them while still retaining the bed was to cut the sides off with a sawsall and leave the bed rail for structural support, or would it be better to just drill the spot welds? Any info would be helpful, also maybe a picture or two of it being done would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
I have no pics, sorry. I have just seen it done. Check with a body shop they do it often when replacing bedsides

Kris

When in doubt, GAS IT!

gary

i don't have any pics of while i was doing it, but i did my own bedsides on my toy. took like 2 days. drilled out the spot welds with a special drill bit made just for that. also liberal use of the sawzall, to make things go quicker. left in the top rail and all the edges/tail light bucket areas. it was a lot of work, but damn those bedsides look cool....if you've got any more detailed or specific questions, i'll be happy to help, if i can.

evan_clanin

a special drill bit ..is it one that goes slow?..were can i get one?..did u take off the whole rail or did u cut it on the out side of the lip?

vwguy

its a special drill bit that cuts out spot welds

how ironic is it that most people slow down for speed bumps yet almost all of us here im sure pin it

gary

it's specially built to remove only the spot welded area, as long as you don't push all the way thru everything with the drill. about 8 bucks a piece-i ended up going thru 2 of 'em. got them at a tool store, home depot didn't have them. i didn't remove the rail, just all the stuff around it. left in the front edge of the bed for support, and the tail light area.

evan_clanin

thanks for your help guys ..hope fully ill have a sick disco truck in paradise!!!