Been trying a few things.

Bebop

RDC Crypto
At an Offroad campground.
Kid next doors spent his all day VR-ing instead of Reality-ing.
We’re f**ked.

3983200A-9A6C-4CAA-9A33-C1AC9DFF39B6.jpeg

Advertising supports this site

Klaus

Administrator
Solutions
RDC Crypto
At an Offroad campground.
Kid next doors spent his all day VR-ing instead of Reality-ing.
We’re f**ked.

View attachment 246177
Owning nothing and being happy…

RDC is guilty of it as well. Why am I or you reading a forum when its a very nice day outside. However…. Its accelerating and those that of us remembering analog world and how much more human to human connection we had; only those know what we are losing with every new integration of digital.

It doesn't have to be that way.

T.martin

RDC Crypto
Let's see where this can go. My 14 year old plays a lot of BeamNG and really likes the offroad aspect of it. Next year he will start co-driving duties in the Jeepspeed but for now that is how he gets his offroad fix. They recently had a few teams run a 250? mile race against each other on one of the BeamNG maps. It took hours. If someone were to make a high resolution version of a course, let's say Laughlin, and then if trucks were outfitted with Starlink and a few accelerometers (black box) for telemetry, people could see those trucks in virtual reality racing. Take it one step further and people at home could race virtually on the same "course" during the event. Could be fun.

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
RDC Crypto
Let's see where this can go. My 14 year old plays a lot of BeamNG and really likes the offroad aspect of it. Next year he will start co-driving duties in the Jeepspeed but for now that is how he gets his offroad fix. They recently had a few teams run a 250? mile race against each other on one of the BeamNG maps. It took hours. If someone were to make a high resolution version of a course, let's say Laughlin, and then if trucks were outfitted with Starlink and a few accelerometers (black box) for telemetry, people could see those trucks in virtual reality racing. Take it one step further and people at home could race virtually on the same "course" during the event. Could be fun.
Yep

And even more :)

Klaus

Administrator
Solutions
RDC Crypto
Beautiful.

I love screens as a tool to get into real world. Not the other way around.

There are too many screens (typing on a screen). It makes us weaker overall.

THE_SCOTTS

RDC Crypto
Yep

And even more :)
🤯🤯🤯

That just makes me go

1655331189695.png

Bricoop

RDC Crypto
Very cool, but if we have starlink connectivity, please give me real, live video and sound.

There is a literal gold mine waiting for the person that can bring off-road racing to the masses. Last week ESPN3 was airing the disabled dog olympics book ended by cornhole matches. The bar is low.

Crusty Shellback

RDC Crypto
technology is cool and all, but for me, it can't replace the real life experiences.

Dave Cole you are the man and I applaud what you are doing for Off Road. 👍 Keep pushing that boundary.

Maybe I'm too old school and seen too many things in life that most will never see and certainly never see from a computer screen.

Case in point. I work on a Navy ship, testing missile systems. Had a young guy who was in charge of the installation of a new system. Once it was complete, I tried to get him to go out to sea with me to see how it operated so he would have an idea of how the systems he's installing work and what they are used for.
This was his response, literally.

"Do you have cell service? NOPE.
Do you have internet? NOPE
Do you have Email? NOPE. That's the beauty of it, nothing to bother you so you can enjoy the time at sea and experiences things.
Well I can see it all and experience it on youtube."

WTF!

There is a big difference between looking at a video, or now VR and experiencing things real time with the sight/sounds/smells/ feelings/adrenalin that goes with it.
I've sat in the immersion room at Disneyland and agree it was really close to reality with all the sights/sounds/ smells being pumped in. But it wasn't the same as real world.

And how do you capture things that happen randomly in nature?
I was on a ship, off the coast of panama, in the pacific ocean when we ran into a large pod of dolphins. They were playing in our wake. Jumping, flipping, spinning. Just like you see trained dolphins do at Sea World. But this was real time, untrained, out in the middle of nowhere in the pacific. I don't think VR will ever be able to replace it.

I guess I'm just worried that we are becoming like the movies we watch. Everything is at the push of a button in a VR world and reality outside is passing us by, unnoticed.

Sorry that I'm starting to ramble on like Mig29.

Klaus

Administrator
Solutions
RDC Crypto
technology is cool and all, but for me, it can't replace the real life experiences.

Dave Cole you are the man and I applaud what you are doing for Off Road. 👍 Keep pushing that boundary.

Maybe I'm too old school and seen too many things in life that most will never see and certainly never see from a computer screen.

Case in point. I work on a Navy ship, testing missile systems. Had a young guy who was in charge of the installation of a new system. Once it was complete, I tried to get him to go out to sea with me to see how it operated so he would have an idea of how the systems he's installing work and what they are used for.

Do you have Email? NOPE. That's the beauty of it, nothing to bother you so you can enjoy the time at sea and experiences things.

WTF!

There is a big difference between looking at a video, or now VR and experiencing things real time with the sight/sounds/smells/ feelings/adrenalin that goes with it.
I've sat in the immersion room at Disneyland and agree it was really close to reality with all the sights/sounds/ smells being pumped in. But it wasn't the same as real world.

I was on a ship, off the coast of panama, in the pacific ocean when we ran into a large pod of dolphins. They were playing in our wake. Jumping, flipping, spinning. Just like you see trained dolphins do at Sea World. But this was real time, untrained, out in the middle of nowhere in the pacific. I don't think VR will ever be able to replace it.

I guess I'm just worried that we are becoming like the movies we watch. Everything is at the push of a button in a VR world and reality outside is passing us by, unnoticed.

LOL for the mig29 reference.

I liked that Navy story and I observe the same with kids I spend time with. Myself I have seen the world in analog and then completely embraced computer technology from day one. Used to think that the more networking things the better the world will be and now more and more I feel the complete opposite. Secretly I sometimes wish an EMP will take out every circuit there is. Obviously not a realistically fantasy. Can't happen by force. Everyone on their own terms needs to realize how toxic computers are to human interactions. Yes more gets done but thats not free. There is a cost to the IT communication of machines. For some its a hidden cost while others see it.

Thats why I absolutely love what Dave posted above and at the same token I am horrified as its yet another step closer to human to machine where before it was human to human.

Perhaps computer technology/AI/communication is not an absolute. As in absolutely Good or Bad. Maybe it takes self-discipline to moderate the amount of attention one gives to it. No matter what it is interesting to observe how technology evolves and humans devolve.

green787

RDC Crypto
Website
realsound.us

WTF!

Do you know how much it would cost to go to Egypt and see rocks piled in the desert..... On Youtube I can go down into the pyramids and explore them from the safety of my swivel chair..... Going out to sea to see a Vulcan canon fire....??? No way....

Crusty Shellback

RDC Crypto
Klaus,
It goes even further. People will send a email instead of getting up and going to the other side of the room and talk to the person.
I've gone over to see a friend at another building and ask him a question instead of emails. While I was there, we would talk and other things would trigger and we would discuss other projects not related to the one I had a question about. And while walking down the hall way, I'd see someone I knew and talk to them a bit, and learn about new projects coming my way. would never have gotten any of that info if I'd stayed at my desk and sent that email. Then when I get back to my office and talk to my coworkers, they would be amazed at the info I had gained and were surprised when I told them I went over and talked to people rather than send a single email. Some of them still couldn't grasp the concept of not sending the email.
And yea, I work with new technology every day. I get to do live fire testing of the newest systems for the navy before they get to the new ships.:cool:
Got to test a laser weapons system over a decade ago.

green787.

Yea, I agree it does cost money to go visit places. Thanks to Uncle Sam's Navy, I spent 21 years getting paid to travel the world.
I saw newly discovered ancient civilizations in Mombasa, Kenya in Africa that they were literally still trying to figure out who the people were that used to live there.
I've fed beer to a Elephant in the middle of the preserve in Africa.
I've been diving off a small island off the coast on Thailand.
Been to James Bond island in Thailand.
Sailed thru the panama canal.
Been to the worlds fair in Vancouver BC.
Spent a week on a small island in the middle of the Indian ocean, Diego, Garcia.
Seen some of the most beautiful sunrises, Sunsets, and moons out over the ocean so far away from land, there is no manmade light to spoil it.
Met some of the most interesting and amazing people all over the world. Local people, not famous big wigs.
Except I did meet John Wayne's driver from when he was in Africa filming Doctari. He was our driver on a photo safari I went on. :cool:

Nothing on youtube can compare to what I've gotten to see.

Guess I've been lucky.

ProfessionalPitMan

RDC Crypto
Klaus,
It goes even further. People will send a email instead of getting up and going to the other side of the room and talk to the person.
I've gone over to see a friend at another building and ask him a question instead of emails. While I was there, we would talk and other things would trigger and we would discuss other projects not related to the one I had a question about. And while walking down the hall way, I'd see someone I knew and talk to them a bit, and learn about new projects coming my way. would never have gotten any of that info if I'd stayed at my desk and sent that email. Then when I get back to my office and talk to my coworkers, they would be amazed at the info I had gained and were surprised when I told them I went over and talked to people rather than send a single email. Some of them still couldn't grasp the concept of not sending the email.

green787.

Yea, I agree it does cost money to go visit places. Thanks to Uncle Sam's Navy, I spent 21 years getting paid to travel the world.
I saw newly discovered ancient civilizations in Mombasa, Kenya in Africa that they were literally still trying to figure out who the people were that used to live there.
Spent a week on a small island in the middle of the Indian ocean, Diego, Garcia.
Seen some of the most beautiful sunrises, Sunsets, and moons out over the ocean so far away from land, there is no manmade light to spoil it.
Met some of the most interesting and amazing people all over the world. Local people, not famous big wigs.
Except I did meet John Wayne's driver from when he was in Africa filming Doctari. He was our driver on a photo safari I went on. :cool:

Guess I've been lucky.
I 100% agree with both your take and Klaus' take. I am a music freak. Watching a concert on YouTube does nothing for me. Traveling and watching travel videos on YouTube does at least hold me over before I can get to go somewhere but nothing replaces the experience. Smells, tasting local food, etc. Off road is a very tactile experience. The feel of the car, the site, smells, etc. are all a huge part of it. I think what Dave has done (and this explains his making off road available to the masses thread) is bad a$$ though. Even if it is not for me.

Klaus

Administrator
Solutions
RDC Crypto
But if I show a million, 10 million, 100 million people Baja for the FIRST time, will it change the amount of people reading this post on RDC?
Does that mean it will increase the amount of pageviews on RDC ? If so we benefit monetary yes and I will appreciate it. However money is not my God. As of right now this site generates ok money for Curtis and myself to get by and we are grateful for exactly that. Can it be more? Sure...we are subscribers of money just like everyone is. It simply is not important to me personally.

My personal model of economy is to solve other peoples problems and then afterwards get rewarded for it. That has worked well before RDC and will work no matter what I may do after RDC.

Dave, thanks for making me think, introspect. Get a tiny bit uncomfortable. The me nagging on digital is ironic as the guy that brings RDC to the table. I also mean no harm to your project, if anything I want it to succeed and criticizing it can only harden it. I hope you see it that way.

My next venture after RDC will include digital aspects but be much more analog.

green787

RDC Crypto
Website
realsound.us
Green787

Guess I've been lucky.

I'm just saying with all this virtual reality and stuff, they are scanning the Pyramids and offering virtual tours.... I've learned more about the pyramids just following this red headed girl on Youtube that visits these places and somehow gets behind the normal tourist areas....
After exploring on youtube, THEN you can decide if you really want to climb the steps of Machu Picchu or not....

Crusty Shellback

RDC Crypto
Guess I am more of the adventurer. I'd rather go out into the unknown and explore and see what I find. Then its all a new experience with no expectations.

Watching it on TV, then going to see it is usually a let down, for one, it usually looks better on TV/Youtube/advertisments, than it does in person. And there are usually a million other people trampling around in the area. I'd rather go explore where few others have gone. Been to a lot of places like that in Baja and all around the world.