Beer Disaster Need Advice

3 Amigos Racing

I have a Viking Keg fridge in the back yard.

I have not changed the temp setting in two years and have had at least 20 of the
15 gal kegs go through it with no issue and mostly Dos Equis beer including this new keg.

Last night heading outside for a beer and no beer!
Pullled out the keg 3/4 full but frozen, you could hear it clunking inside the keg.
I turned the temp down a little and will try tonight after work.

Did I ruin the 13 gallons of beer? (I know- bad beer no way:D)
Why did it freeze now? It has been hotter outside so I didnt worry.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Epic FAIL!
Beer is shot....disaster!!

PLS

Have you put a thermometer in to check actual temp? Sounds like the thermostat/temp control or cooling unit has gone bad. The frozen beer is history, so don't put anything else in until you know it is working properly.

dezertgirl

"RDC's Social Butterfly"
Frozen beer=ruined... it kills the carbonation :(

Only thing I can think of is maybe the switch was messed with and if that's not the case it might be on its last leg. When refrigerators/freezers in general start doing that they usually have to be unplugged, defrosted and then have the vents and fans cleaned and then plugged back in... usually that works and they keep going.

DEZERTBOUND

....put some shreded wheat in it and tell your friends it's a "micro-brew".

3 Amigos Racing

Hey can I turn up the air pressure and inject some life into it? worth a try?

I used a pulp thermometer as it was all I had an the keg temp on the outside was 38..

Its a bad deal.. brand new keg..

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Make DAMN sure the coils are free of dust, dirt, lint, dog/cat hair, etc!!!!

Random Thoughts Racing

Kids played with the temp knob? Would a leaking co2 bottle (bottle gets colder) lower the temperature enough to freeze the keg?

Even flat Dos Equis is better than Dos Equis from a bottle after Durka Durka has used in one of his photo shoots :eek:.

3 Amigos Racing

Any chance it was frozen when you picked it up?
No.. drove it from bevmo ontario to av..in the heat..drank a couple pitchers on day 2 and then freezo..

and the temp knob was set in same place as always.. the outside of keg had no frost and temp was 38 and the refrig not running after I found frozen.. .. checked it all..

$159 dollars of beer.. looks like a taste test tonight to see if it got burned.. or whatever frozen beer taste like..

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
No.. drove it from bevmo ontario to av..in the heat..drank a couple pitchers on day 2 and then freezo..

and the temp knob was set in same place as always.. the outside of keg had no frost and temp was 38 and the refrig not running after I found frozen.. .. checked it all..

$159 dollars of beer.. looks like a taste test tonight to see if it got burned.. or whatever frozen beer taste like..

Total loss.....:eek:

partybarge_pilot

Man up and drink it! Make some ice brew out of it. Let it thaw partially and drink it. The water will thaw last giving you some XXXX.........

Dezertpilot

Call me over Ill drink some beers wiht you sometime, damn keg fridge mmmnnnnnn:)

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Call me over Ill drink some beers wiht you sometime, damn keg fridge mmmnnnnnn:)
you'd drive from Newport to Apple Valley
fer a once/semi frozen XX???
:eek:
I could imagine a situation where a bud had a
simular situation in mex and desperatly needed
my help with an impossible problem...butt...
he'd/I'd have to be desperate!!:D:D

3 Amigos Racing

I have to drink it either way.. I am conditioned.. Bud cans out of the case in dezert two days no cooler.. that was a a nasty drunk..those cans were as hot as coffee when I drank em.. I have had a few frozen cans.. just traumatized over freezing the whole new keg and trying to figure out what happened.. my stuff always works!

Any time you all are out in the high dez my keg is accessible! on the way to and from Lucerne..

Random Thoughts Racing

Thinking about the Co2 more, if the keg wasnt quite sealed (pinhole leak) wouldnt the decompressing Co2 continually flowing through the keg cool it a few degrees to many?

Has the Co2 tanks been consumed faster than usual? If you close the Co2 valve will the line pressure guage indicate a leak situation at the keg?