• Forum membership has its advantages....

Being prepared for rain come race day

B. R C Arrow

After following the weather for the upcoming Pahrump Nugget 250 its looking like it could rain and possibly even snow. This would be our teams first time racing in the rain and we want to be the best prepared to have a successful race. Any advice would be greatly appreciated . Thank you in advance.

Advantage West

X2 on the rain X. Wear the large black trash bags over you from the start, they will keep you dry and help to keep you warm. Every pit needs to be ready with visor towels. Even if you just pull in quick enough for them to toss them in. Also have another new visor midway through the race. It takes just a minute for someone to change your visor while you leave you helmet on at a pit while your fueling. If it rains hard enough to cause mud, your visor will get scratched to piss.

Cris Lepiz

Like mentioned above wearing trash bags over your suit will help keep you warm and dry. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to wear latex gloves under your race ones to keep your hands dry.

AZ7000'

Rain-x has a new plastic formula Slime was selling in Baja. I've seen the glass kind mess up a plastic shield. Works to easily wipe off dry dust too.

TMorford

hairspray all electrical connections it seals out water
I did this for a BAP race a few years ago with Aquanet and got laughed at by a friend who later had electrical issues after hitting a puddle...

JDDurfey

We mounted a small box of soft shop towels in the race car that both driver and co-driver could reach. Then you have plenty of wipes for the visor. maybe even use Velcro to secure it and then be able to change it out at a pit if it is bad enough.

I'll second the clear safety glasses as long as they don't fog up on you. That way if you have to open your visor, you still have eye protection. The last thing you want is to lose an eye.

I've never thought about Jet Ski gloves, but that is a good idea. When racing a bike I used to get my grips and gloves wet before a possibly wet race to make sure that once wet they were not slick. Had to learn that one the hard way once, grips and gloves I was using were terrible once they got wet and I could barely hang on no matter how hard I squeezed, made for some wonderful arm pump in the mud.

johndjmix

Snow would be awesome. Has that ever happened?

Enough snow to get stuck in ever happened?

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
Snow would be awesome. Has that ever happened?

Enough snow to get stuck in ever happened?

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com
Yes. Yes.

dislocated1

In regards to snow at the Nugget 250, I remember having snow flurries at this race back in 02 or 03.... Was fun stuff!

BHollander

Make sure you are running antifreeze in your cooling system. If it is super cold it will make for a bad day if not.

bajadreamer

Wallmart or Bass pro "Frog Toggs"
Inexpensive lightweight breathable rain gear.. I live in Oklahoma and weather here changes fast and the frog toggs are bitchen when it gets muddy on those fast trails..get em big enough to fit over other clothing.. they also will fold up small enough to fit into a large crown royal bag .. I think the last set I got was $30-40 :)

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

AZ7000'

Mmmmmmm. Crown royal

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Dezertpilot

. Also have another new visor midway through the race. It takes just a minute for someone to change your visor while you leave you helmet on at a pit while your fueling. If it rains hard enough to cause mud, your visor will get scratched to piss.
Don't they make visor tear off's like motorcycle goggle tear off's? They must, if not someone should develop them!

B. R C Arrow

Yes they do make tear offs for visors, I've never used them.

Thank you to all who have commented with your suggestions, advice and wisdom.

Race In Peace Mark Luhtala

drofmij

Rain x your shield, I would start with tear offs, but if it rains it will get under them and you will have to pull them off. You can never have too many towels, No microfiber. Have spare shields and a spare helmet would be real nice. Take duct tape and put a couple rows back to back then tape it to your shield and top of your helmet. So it keeps the water from getting behind your shield and you can still lift your visor. Put the towels in Ziploc bags and tape them in the cab. The trash bags work great to keep your core dry but it wasn't December either. If its just mud and not much rain, wet towels to wipe the mud help.