Belts - V-Belt or Serpentine

MH20

RDC Crypto
I'm trying to setup the accessory drive system my brother's truck (Ranger + 5.0L V8) and have read the varying opinions on this thread
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10853&highlight=serpentine

I talked to March Performance and they suggested this serpentine system
http://www.marchperf.com/instructions/30125_instructions.pdf

I have no problem running a serpentine system since it will actually be slightly less expensive to setup than a v-belt system, but the only thing that I don't like about this setup is the lack of belt wrap on the alternator. Is it acceptable or is it asking for a slipping belt?

Anyone have a decent setup that they are running? Or should I start looking for a stock system (and out of what)?

dezertdude

RDC Crypto
Alternator takes very little force to spin. It wont be a problem.

Vdrive belts = old technology, and more belts = more chances for failure.

scottm

RDC Crypto
Website
www.cemaz.com
Surpentines can pass dirt and rocks with less trouble because of the spring loaded tensioner.

steveG

RDC Crypto
Don't hesitate, serpentine all the way. Don't forget the fact that with a serpentine you only need one spare and if you happen to loose the belt you can install a new one in a few miunutes.

SimonSays

RDC Crypto
Website
www.Thefactoryracing.com
Don't hesitate, serpentine all the way. Don't forget the fact that with a serpentine you only need one spare and if you happen to loose the belt you can install a new one in a few miunutes.

we run the serpentine belts on our class 7 we have never broken a belt but we carry on in the cab with us and can change it out really fast, the spring loaded tensioners make that easy.

randy s

RDC Crypto
what happens if your power steering pump freezes up with a serpentine system?. unless you're carrying some sort of idler pully with you, are'nt you pretty much screwed? in a race, do you carry an extra 2 belts or an idler pulley plus an extra serpentine and try to figure it all out out in the middle of nowhere. did i mention that it might be an alterator bearing siezing up that fails instead? even if the tensioner surrenders, what then? its not like it takes alot of time to change a fan belt. plus, serps cost alot more. these are legit questions that came to me while setting my 5.0 ranger. even with a/c, i went with belts. i will guarantee you that if anything like this comes up in mexico out on the trail,it'll be much more likely that you'll come up with the right replacement belt before you find a serpentine you can use. just my opinion. besides, it's not like they're too heavy.[fanbelts].

partybarge_pilot

RDC Crypto
Your in the same boat with a V-belt if the P/S pump siezes. If your going to buy shorter spares to bypass frozen equipment, it's the same deal no matter what belt you run.

Dave_G

RDC Crypto
what happens if your power steering pump freezes up with a serpentine system?

Your more likely to take a rock into the V belt and throw it than with a serpentine. Also as the belt heats up and expands the tensioner on a serpentine keeps the tension constant unlike a V belt where once you set it, that's where you have to live with it. The attached set up is a system we built some years back Note the maximum wrap angles on the pulleys that need it most.

Attachments

• Belt1.JPG
    Belt1.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 204
  • Belt2.JPG
    Belt2.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 176

randy s

RDC Crypto
nicely crafted. i understand your point. i guess i'm just a creature of habit. you know the type. old, cranky, set in their ways. i just have'nt had a rock do that. even running up and down the beaches south of san felipe and cruising up to the pools at matomi for 31 years. everyone has had a fan belt break and i've really never seen a serp fail but the time or two when that has happened to me[bad belt], it wasn't any big deal anyway. best thing to do regardless of preference is to make sure they're in good shape. carry new spares. there was a reason you changed out the old one. good luck on the build.

randy s

RDC Crypto
by the way, what do you do if your power steering fails with a serp?

Dave_G

RDC Crypto
by the way, what do you do if your power steering fails with a serp?

Change the power steering pump. You can't steer a TT or Truggy that well without power steering anyway. :)

good luck on the build
Thanks. The above project was finished several years ago and it's already overall'd the 1000 several times. ;)

randy s

RDC Crypto
yeah, i guess i was thinking more from the recreation point of view. oh well, each to his own. either way, use the best drive belts [belt] available. and always carry an extra power steering pump and alternate with you when you're racin just in case your chaser can't get to you. lol.

randy s

RDC Crypto
could have sworn i saw v-belts tie-wrapped to robby gordons trophy truck cage at the 250. i might be mistaken, but i don't think so. he could have been just haulin them down there for me. lol.