bender dies

mcheck

STEEEKERS!!
for a guy starting out and purchasing a bender and dies, what is the most common die as far as CLR Distance? also when it comes to 180 degree dies, say it is a 180 degree die with a 5.5 clr, will that be capable of giving you a 90 degree bend with a 5.5 clr?

i am purchasing the model 32 and plan on building cages, tuna towers for boats, a buggy or two, etc.

any help is greatly appriciated

Wild bill

If you plan on using a lot of thin tubing (.083") or less, go with the 6.5 rad. The 5.5 will crimp thin tubing. The model 32 is definite upgrade. My model 3 is good but the 32 is even heavier built.

atomicjoe23

+2 on the 6.5 CLR was for the thin stuff. . .for 0.120" wall and thicker your fine with 5.5 and 4.5 (if available for the tube size you are using. . .don't know what that is so I can't say). . .basically will be up to you between the 4.5 and 5.5 based on what you like the looks of better if you are using thick enough wall tubing. . .

. . .you will definitely not have any problems with the Model 32. . .good bender and is what I myself will be buying for myself in the near future!

mcheck

STEEEKERS!!
quick question, sorry just trying to get a better understanding, so on a 180 degree die with a 5.5 clr, a 180 bend wiill have a diameter of 11 inches roughly?

ZTFab

quick question, sorry just trying to get a better understanding, so on a 180 degree die with a 5.5 clr, a 180 bend wiill have a diameter of 11 inches roughly?
Yes, it will be approx. 11" at the CL of the tube. For example, if you bend 1.75" tube to 180* on a 5.5clr die, the outside diameter will be approx. 12.75".

Wilson

When selecting a bend radius, be careful to choose a "legal" radius if it's for a race vehicle - I believe that SCORE requires 4X the tube diameter as a minimum radius...... A 180 deg. die is good for any bend 180 deg. or less. We've got a Model 3 bender, works great.

DBMETALWORX

3.5 x's your tube o.d. Should be your minimum bend radius, when using .095 tube and thicker. 2.5" for 3/4", 3" on 1", 4"on 1.25", 5" on 1.5", and 6" on larger diameters, to 2", with a minimum wall of .120". Most die sets will state the minimum when you're ordering them. Any thinner and it will wrinkle the inside of the bend. I use these same radii on square tube also. The outside stretches too much with smaller radii, even with thicker tube.

Baileigh Inc

Yes, it will be approx. 11" at the CL of the tube. For example, if you bend 1.75" tube to 180* on a 5.5clr die, the outside diameter will be approx. 12.75".
Don't forget to add about 1/4" or so for spring back. This will open you CLR a little