Bender Question's

SByota

Reaction
Bender Question\'s

After much reading of old posts I have decided on the JD model 3 bender. My question is what is the best size die to buy. I figure the 1.5" DOM can be used for just about everything, but what CLR? I understand that the smaller the CLR the tighter the bend, but what would be best for items such as bumpers and shock hoops. I know I am a long way away from 3/4 link or building my own arms, but I think with some practice I could build my own bumpers and shock hoops. Thanks in advance

DesertCreations

Reaction
Re: Bender Question\'s

1 1/2" is good for bumpers on mini and mid sized trucks and I go with 1 3/4" for full size trucks. As for shock towers thats usually up to the fabricator and owner of the truck.

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction

As per S.C.O.R.E. rules:

2000lbs to 2999lbs closed cockpit = 1 1/2x120
3000lbs to 3999lbs closed cockpit = 1 3/4x120

weight minimun for class 7 abd 7s is 3000lbs (mini trucks)

Why so many "street cages" with 1 1/2 tubing?

I reccomend 1 3/4 for all.

Monday thru Friday my truck hauls tile...Sat & sun it HAULS ASS!!!!!!!!

cleartoy

Reaction

I have that bender with a 1.5"x4.5 radius die that I use for bumps, shock hoops, cross over supports and other things. It can bend tighter than a 6.5" radius, but maybe not as nice.

I also have a 1" die that i use for light weight things, like mounting fiberglass, fuse boxes ect.

Id like to get a 1.75" die for things like bumpers on full size trucks, nerf bars ect.

Id also like a 3/4" die for small things as well.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction

That is for mild steel Pat...msot race trucks in score are 4130

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

shower

Reaction

If I remember right Pat was right on. SCORE doesn't separate mild from 4130 for tubing dimensions. They just recommend 4130 for construction. But, I would have to check my rulebook just to be sure.

vorra65

Reaction

Not long ago, there were some posts regarding hydraulic conversion of the JD2 bender. I finally finished my conversion, got a few pic's for all to peruse. I had posted a few month's back with the idea and pump/motor combo I wanted to use. Ended up using a parker 2" / 20" throw cylinder with a Dayton 2.5 hp 220 motor to supply the spin. Haven't done any .120 wall yet, but I bent some 1.5 .090 wall mild the other night. Worked great. Anyway, thought I'd post for anybody else that might want to do a conversion. The goal for me was not only tired of yankin on the bar, but being able to bend and the roll the bender out of the way. Helps, when your working in a limited space. Real nice to, cuz you can stand right over the degree wheel while your bending- instead of bend a little take alook-bend a little take a look.

Attachments

1992f150

Reaction

that is cool, how fast does the arm move? Can you adjust the speed?

Azusa: shame of the foothills

vorra65

Reaction

>How about a parts list with costs and suppliers to finish out this conversion? Thx, Curt<

Hydraulic pump/reservoir and air operated motor -$25 (ebay)--- ( I sold the air operated motor for $25 last week on ebay)

Dayton 220V motor-$90 (ebay)

Gresen hydraulic control valve -$75 (ebay)

Steel and casters- $75 S/K Steel-Sacto. (steel) Blue Collar Supply-Sacto. (casters)

Hydraulic hoses -$60 Delta Rubber- Sacto.

you'll need a lovejoy coupler to connect the motor to the pump -W. W. Grainger
Already had this one-so can't give you $$

vorra65

Reaction

>that is cool, how fast does the arm move? Can you adjust the speed?<

It will make a full 20" pass (120 deg. at the bender) in 20 sec.

I 've installed an adjustable flow control valve and haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Hoping to slow it down by 1/2.

It also depends where the ram pushes, I designed it-so it can push from both spots on the push arm. You can get an idea, looking at the picture.

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction

I was refering to most street driven trucks with cages. Just makes me cringe to see the smaller diameter mild tubing used by most homebrewed trucks. There is a reason for the diameters and thickness that they reccomend for mild used in certain weight vehicles. S.C.O.R.E. refers to the manufacture for the equivalent in alloy steel.

Monday thru Friday my truck hauls tile...Sat & sun it HAULS ASS!!!!!!!!

Kbach66

Reaction

Thought I'd post a pic of my bender that I made. I got the pump and dual action ram from my pops who dug it out of the "trash" at his old worksite (gotta love those govt aerospace companies!). I built everything as a sort of copy on the Pro Tools one shot bender. I actually bought the roller and a couple of dies from them, and have made a couple of my own dies for smaller stuff. I think that if you were looking to make your own bender, that this is the way to go because of simplicity. The dies are a few more $$ than the model 105 dies, but the $$ you save in building the bender is worth it!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction

"If I remember right Pat was right on. SCORE doesn't separate mild from 4130 for tubing dimensions. They just recommend 4130 for construction. But, I would have to check my rulebook just to be sure."

Score Rule Book CR33 Roll Cages
"Minimum design and tubing size based on seamless mild steel for roll cage structures are as follows...."

Race Trucks would be even bigger tanks if they had were made out of mild steel

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

shower

Reaction

I'm sorry if I didn't make myself more clear. My point was that SCORE states that those tube dimensions were to be used base on seamless mild steel. But, they don't give a provision to use a thinner tube if you used 4130. Meaning If you have a class 7 truck and it weighs over 3000 lbs. you must use 1.75x.120, no matter what type of tubing used. Am I wrong?

hoeker

Reaction

CORR's book is worded the same way. the type of tube you use doesn't give you any flexibility in wall thickness in the main cage area, the rest of the truck you can do what you want.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.