Bending aluminum tube

DezerBlingMoto

Reaction
I need to bend some 1"X 0.95 aluminum tubing , just needing some pointers from the pro's out there . I have a manual bender converted over to air/hydro. Will that do the trick just like bending steel , DOM, 4130 etc. ? thanks in advance for any pointers.

DezerBlingMoto

Reaction
I have some 6061 an the other tubes don't have a label . They've been hanging in the step child bin for years :rolleyes:

chace

Reaction
Might have to get the torch out and anneal the tube to prevent cracking. Can also pack with wet sand.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

DezerBlingMoto

Reaction
thank you guys for your knowledge I will definitely give it a shot an see how it goes .

5racer

Reaction
scotch brite tube and then wax it i used mothers synthetic and like party said lube lube and bend slow

gawdodirt

Reaction
The heat treating grade has a great effect on the bend, or not. 6061 T651 will bend. 6061 T6 will not. If you heat it, it gets weak. And it is work hardened. BUT! Be careful on the manufacturer. SAPA is junk. Reynolds or ALCOA is good stuff. Got some SAPA 6061 T651 from I.M.S. and it cracked on first bend, where some ALCOA of same grade did not. Took it back and asked for certs, and they said they had them, but needed a request and 1 week to find them. B.S. Just stay with U.S. Made material.

green787

Reaction
I heard you should fill the tube with sand to keep it from kinking....