bending smaller tube in a larger die

Igino

Reaction
Sorry if this is a repost - couldn't find anything on it.

Is it OK to bend 1" or smaller tube in my 1 3/4" die? I'm not looking for super structural stuff - mostly just light racks, dashboard frame, and bedside attachment struts. Will it hurt my die? Rather not spend the bucks on a new die if i could make the one I already have work.

Thanks!!

ZTFab

Reaction
It won't hurt your die but it will destroy the tube....kink-o-matic.

If you need to, bend a piece of 1.75"x.120" and slice it in half down the center. That will make a sleeve for the die and allow you to bend 1.5" tubing.

To get it down to 1" might be a bit of a challenge....you can either try to bend and sleeve progressively smaller diameters until you get to 1" or you can try to bend heavy wall tubing and do it.

I have done that in the past when I needed to bend something and didn't have the correct die although the easiest thing to do is spend the money and buy the die....you will use it more if you have the proper die.

Giant Geoff

Reaction
I can bend 1/2" mild in a 1” die if I clamp vise grips on the end. If you try any lager diameter it will kink it.

Haycock

Reaction
ive bent 1/2" with a 1" die a few times also with great results. you can always try bending a scrap piece and see how it turns out....

Igino

Reaction
thanks for the pointers guys. Since i only have a 1 3/4" right now, i'll prolly pony up for a 1 inch and hope it can take care of everything smaller than that.

Giant Geoff

Reaction
ive bent 1/2" with a 1" die a few times also with great results. you can always try bending a scrap piece and see how it turns out....
Great point. Try and see what happens.

The best knowledge is by experience and a better type of knowledge is knowing and not always asking.

DBMETALWORX

Reaction
Try making a die outta plate. A peice of 1"x.25"x17.25"rolled into ring, that will be a 3"radius. Then weld it between two .25" thick plates cut round @ 7". Which is half a tube thickness depth on your die. Make sure you drill, or punch you hole before welding, so you can put a pin thru it to square it up.you can make your hold die pretty easily after that. Your draw die can be a roller. Know this will work with a hossfeld. Also williams lowbuck tools sells a manual 1" bender, built like this, they're cheap, look @ the pic. In their catalog.they're in the back of dirt sports. It's simple simon. You can come up with your own design from there, and adapt it to your machine. And have fun doin it!!

atomicjoe23

Reaction
If you try to make your own dies. . .don't cheap out on the metal. . .

. . .a couple of guys I know tried this and their dies kept cracking on the first try because the metal wasn't quality enough to stand up to the stresses being put on it. . .they gave up and bought dies after the 3rd or 4th on cracked. . .

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
If you try to make your own dies. . .don't cheap out on the metal. . .

. . .a couple of guys I know tried this and their dies kept cracking on the first try because the metal wasn't quality enough to stand up to the stresses being put on it. . .they gave up and bought dies after the 3rd or 4th on cracked. . .

all the dies i,ve machined for the benders at work have all been 1018/1020 i recently did machine one out of 4140 annealed , we,ve yet to crack a die mind you they are alot beefier then what you find on a JD2

this was a 2" die with a 7.5" CLR made this one out of 4140ann for our SOCO bender at work

atomicjoe23

Reaction
You have more experience in this area than me. . .I was just throwing out of word of caution based on what a buddy had happen to him. . .not firsthand info, just what I was told.

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
You have more experience in this area than me. . .I was just throwing out of word of caution based on what a buddy had happen to him. . .not firsthand info, just what I was told.

i,m no expert just sharing experience , and i will agree lots have broken dies pins and sideplates bending heavy wall tube on a machine designed for thin wall stuff

pbplya888

Reaction
I've bent 1.25" .120 DOM with my 1.5" die up to about 60* without noticeable kinking or deformation. However, i am using a tjdiesel bender. I haven't had a reason to go beyond 60* with the 1.25" but when i do, i'll give it a try and let you know!

-Cody