Bent Front Coilover Shaft. WHY?

RedRide

Reaction
Last weekend I somehow bend my front coilover shaft enough so that it stick in a preloaded position. I did not hit anything directly with the coilover that would have directly caused this.

Has anyone seen this happen? Anybody know what causes this?

Thanks in advance.

-Thomas

shock pros

Reaction
Most of the times I see a bent shaft it's either because an arm has broken off or at least bent enough to push a shock in a direction that the spherical bearings can't rotate to. What type of vehicle was this on? What do the arms, shock mounts look like, any damaged or loose pivot points? Start by checking that first. Other than that, I rarely see an internal shock component fail to cause a bent shaft. Keep us posted on what you find.

TRXSonoma

Reaction
Did you recently rebuild the shocks and not set the IFP correctly causing the shock to hydro lock?

RedRide

Reaction
I did just have my shocks rebuilt, but the shaft is definately bent. The only other possibility is that the bushings inside broke down and caused the shaft to sit at an angle with relation to the resevoir.

Ryan B

Reaction
Check the IFP, I've also seen some "more cost effective" shock companies use inexpensive shock shaft material, and on vehicles where the shock cycles freely, and doesn't bind; bend shock shafts.

Pharaoh XJ

Reaction
Since you just rebuilt your shock than it might have hydrolocked meaning that oil didnt flow through the piston so the shaft got bent because the piston couldnt travel inside the sock body.

what shock are you using ? shaft thickness ? pics ?

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
hydrolocked meaning that oil didnt flow through the piston
The oil didnt have anywhere to displace the shaft volume(nitrogen volume decreases if built right). Usually a hydro shock will blow out a snap ring in the resi end cap or rod guide before it bends the shaft. A buckling shaft most often has to do with a long stroke at close to 1:1, binding mounts or not enough bearing distance...I see guys take the spacers out of 14s to make them 15s, or 18s to make the 20s...those spacers are in there for a reason.

I have seen a jeepspeed bend shafts race after race and even break them. I think it had to do with a combination of the ACV reservoirs not flowing, SUPER long rod ends and misalignment.

Lets see some pictures of this rig and the shock installed.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Check the IFP, I've also seen some "more cost effective" shock companies use inexpensive shock shaft material, and on vehicles where the shock cycles freely, and doesn't bind; bend shock shafts.
What material are they using?

100ksi induction hardened chrome bar is the standard. Grinding and chrome thickness varies but not strength. Fox uses Stainless on some, maybe all but they are in the minority.

Ryan B

Reaction
What material are they using?

100ksi induction hardened chrome bar is the standard. Grinding and chrome thickness varies but not strength. Fox uses Stainless on some, maybe all but they are in the minority.

whatever radflow sent torchmate for their ttb koh car.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
whatever radflow sent torchmate for their ttb koh car.
Nitrosteel. Same strength, different treatment process for OD so chrome isnt required.

I dont think its any cheaper than good chrome bar either.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
What specifically is the chrome bar?

What is the base material?

Chrome bar would be referring to the surface treatment right?

07FJRog

Reaction
did we ever find out what vehicle this is on????

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
What specifically is the chrome bar?

What is the base material?

Chrome bar would be referring to the surface treatment right?
In hydraulic industry its 1040/1045. Mills produce it by the mile in all sizes.

RedRide

Reaction
Here's what happened....internal bolt came loose and disconnected the shaft from the alignment guide, then the shaft jammed into the top of the shock, bending the shaft....

07FJRog

Reaction
thx for the update