• Forum membership has its advantages....

benz...

MELT IT!!! ???

• HIROSHIMA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • what would kreiger do

• 1200*f

• black smoke is bad for the environment and you souldnt make it. -hippy asswad

• DRESDEN

• 1100*f

• EGT's are just a number

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • over easy

• that running girl from vietnam

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • 1300*f

• Total voters

gwizz

i would like to think im testing the feasibility of running one of these diesel motors (om 603) in an offroad platform... but really i just saw a video sometime around 2012 of some finnish guy in one of these junkers doing burnouts and drifting around a track like it was no big deal. its been a sort of rabbit hole ever since cause really its just a bad idea.

on a side note someone should start a thread about cars that actually preform offload well. i would throw this one in the mix minus the whole oil pan deal but thats fixable lol.
IMG_0703.PNG

long story short i sorta got lemoned when i bought the car and its original om617 was pretty trashed. so $1100+ebay and a "certified used" motor arrives from somewhere back east at my house. never idiled correctly, had tons of blow by... but worked.. for nearly 80k with no major issues what soever. what did it in was a combination of hitting the oil pan offroading the night before (mid knee high whoops at 60mph in the dark), then doing 100mph donuts/lake bed runs the morning after. which just like the pill, the motor pretty much aborted it self on the attempted drive home after diagnosing the low oil pressure problem. which probably would have not been that big of a deal minus the whole 100mph thing :/ .the smart(ish) thing to do then would have been to do the ebay gamble all over.. but im not smart. sooo a friend of a friend later, and im presented with an om 603/717 trans for $1200( waaay better motor and a 5speed manual trans combo in laymans terms) from a wrecked rear ended w201.
IMG_3251.JPG
IMG_1505.JPG
IMG_1614.JPG
IMG_0521.JPG
IMG_0657.PNG
IMG_0796.JPG
IMG_0659.JPG
IMG_0632.JPG
IMG_0644.JPG
IMG_0344.JPG
IMG_0449.JPG
IMG_0451.JPG
IMG_0468.JPG
IMG_0476.JPG
IMG_0885.JPG
IMG_0881.JPG
IMG_0502.JPG
IMG_0541.JPG
IMG_0539.JPG
IMG_0882.JPG
IMG_0644.JPG
IMG_0835.JPG
IMG_0841.JPG
IMG_0840.JPG
IMG_0653.JPG
IMG_0654.JPG
IMG_0886.JPG
IMG_0182.JPG
IMG_0186.JPG

gwizz

IMG_0594.JPG
throttle chingas. soo long story short the factory pedal gas pedal is pretty complex. this piece uses the factory arm from the gas pedal and converts that motion to a morse style cable. (insightful b&m cable)

IMG_0598.JPG
IMG_0698.JPG
oil cooler -16 > -12

IMG_0700.JPG
i have since changed it out for a taller cooler, also the using the o ring style thread adapters cause the first coolers core failed and since i welded it i figured warranty or easy replacement was not an option.

IMG_0883.JPG
IMG_0805.JPG
IMG_0522.JPG
IMG_0523.JPG
IMG_0517.JPG
IMG_0375.JPG
broken injector lines cause the motor was damaged in its donors accident. tho this broke due to the lack of injector line clips.

IMG_0564.JPG
welding fuel lines.. not sure if this was from the accident orrrr what because takes some miles to wear hard lines like that especially injector lines.

IMG_0822.JPG
who knew transmissions like oil. this one was strictly my fault. that timken bearing which is about the size of a Toyota solid axle trunnion bearing cost $90 at mercedes lol. sorta found one elsewhere but the part number was old and discontinued so i didnt want to risk it. plus they had other parts i needed like a plastic oil slosh wheel so inevitably i was going to the dealer and having parts shipped from Germany.

IMG_0825.JPG
spalling lol.
this is the part where this sort of project becomes a more of a "bad idea".. mercedes people dont really have many options for manual transmissions especially in the states. alot of guys just throw a slush box on and quench the power that way. the other way is to use this 5 speed 717 411 from a 190 d/e and it is generally only touted as good for 300hp, i suspect even less. bmw on the other hand makes a plethora of "good" transmissions.

IMG_1227.JPG
bmw m3 smg transmission (basically manual 6 speed getrag 420g ...)(but not basically cause SMG..)

IMG_1228.JPG
got an entire manual m5 getrag 420g transmission from a guy on craiglist who attempted to disassemble it him self lol. the bell housing is the only thing he didnt destroy also came with shifter and tons of other valuable small parts so its not a complete loss.. seeing the innards of this trans before hand is why i chose the smg route, tho it is def an omen to myself when i open this thing up. almost Indiana Jones ish. also a mercedes automatic transmission bell housing thats been cut off sitting on top of the trans.

Last edited: