• Forum membership has its advantages....

BEST 6 cyl for a jeep racer.

I run a jeep in a off road series in Costa Rica.Currently have a Chevy 4.3 with blower and fi tech injction.I haven't quite figured out the build and am at a crossroad.What is the best 6 cyl powerplant to race.350 hp range.
I commercial fish in Ak. have internet when going the right direction and at the plant when offloading.

Wendell #527

I run a 3.6 LFX in my buggy. Very lightweight motor, super common and lots of different configurations, so you can have the water come out this side, that side, mount the throttle body here or there, lots of choices. My motor came out of a 2014 Camaro but I run the intake from an Impala so the throttle body is toward the front of the buggy. I had it dyno’d and set the hp at 340 on 86 octane. Very conservative. I could easily go to 400 hp on 92 octane. I also have a rock crawler Jeep with a 450 hp AMC 401, Turbo 400, 14 bolt rear end, dana 60 front end running 38.50 boggers. An LFX wouldn’t pull it due to how heavy the Jeep is. I think in a lightweight Jeep the 3.6 would scream. Would be my choice.

Thanks for responding.I was talking to Dave Arce engines about a 4.3 build but I really like your sugestion.What will it take to hook up to an AX 15 and will it handle it
Thanks

Ax 15 are notoriously weak. A t-5 would be much better suited. Significantly stronger and better supported by the o.e.m.s and the after market. Bell housing patterns would be a much closer match if not identical for any g.m. or Ford power plant. They were available in s-10 and full size trucks in two and four wheel drive configuration.

I run a 3.6 LFX in my buggy. Very lightweight motor, super common and lots of different configurations, so you can have the water come out this side, that side, mount the throttle body here or there, lots of choices. My motor came out of a 2014 Camaro but I run the intake from an Impala so the throttle body is toward the front of the buggy. I had it dyno’d and set the hp at 340 on 86 octane. Very conservative. I could easily go to 400 hp on 92 octane. I also have a rock crawler Jeep with a 450 hp AMC 401, Turbo 400, 14 bolt rear end, dana 60 front end running 38.50 boggers. An LFX wouldn’t pull it due to how heavy the Jeep is. I think in a lightweight Jeep the 3.6 would scream. Would be my choice.

Dirty Harry

Ax 15 are notoriously weak. A t-5 would be much better suited. Significantly stronger and better supported by the o.e.m.s and the after market. Bell housing patterns would be a much closer match if not identical for any g.m. or Ford power plant. They were available in s-10 and full size trucks in two and four wheel drive configuration.
I would take an AX15 over a T5 personally. I don’t think that AX15s are weak at all, I’ve seen them live behind small blocks without too much trouble.