Best bike for Baja 1000

d10r10 racing

Reaction
Me and a few friends want to race the Baja 1000 next year if it goes down to La Paz. What is the best bike to do it on / Who has the best contingency /support? KTM, Honda, or Kaw? Thanks for the hellp.

Brandt_Anderson

"Rag Doll"
Reaction
For a privateer racer, the best way to get really good pit support is to race a Honda CRF450X and sign up with JCR/Honda Pits, though it's not cheap. As of right now, no other bike manufacturers run pits like that that anyone can sign up for. I don't think ANY of the bike brands have a significant contingency program anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Although, Baja Huskys has a pretty good contingency if you ride a Husqvarna. They even pay out to the 1st Sportsman.

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
Come down this thursday to Tech/ Contingency, watch the race on Friday. You'll learn more in two day's than two weeks on the computer at home.

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
For a privateer racer, the best way to get really good pit support is to race a Honda CRF450X and sign up with JCR/Honda Pits, though it's not cheap. As of right now, no other bike manufacturers run pits like that that anyone can sign up for. I don't think ANY of the bike brands have a significant contingency program anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Although, Baja Huskys has a pretty good contingency if you ride a Husqvarna. They even pay out to the 1st Sportsman.

Got to agree with that 110%. And since about 90% of the riders/racers are on one, it's a lot easier to find parts from another if need be.

tomahawkracefab

Reaction
Got to agree with that 110%. And since about 90% of the riders/racers are on one, it's a lot easier to find parts from another if need be.

you blokes actually race those things ? we use 'em as postal bikes down here :p

Attachments

• 41-1.jpg
    41-1.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 748

bajabit

Reaction

We chose the CRF450X because of it's track record, aftermarket support, and almost everybody is running one so getting a spare part would be easyer.
We have been using Baja Pits and they do a great job.
There is basically no contingency support for the bike classes :confused:. I guess it's not as big a market as moto.

BGRANT

Reaction
Rode a KTM 525 for years. Raced a CRF450X this weekend and I am buying a Honda.

LIL ROG

Reaction
dose jcr race the a 450r? the reason I ask is cause if you watch the video of the 1000 they stall it at the starting line and they are kicking it to get it fired up again if he was on the x wouldnt they just press the magic button? So that made me think that they are racing the r.

motoman29

Reaction
dose jcr race the a 450r? the reason I ask is cause if you watch the video of the 1000 they stall it at the starting line and they are kicking it to get it fired up again if he was on the x wouldnt they just press the magic button? So that made me think that they are racing the r.

they are racing the X.

it is a common trick to kick and use the starter to get it to fire quicker.

BajaboundMoto

Reaction
dose jcr race the a 450r?
Actually it's an X but they ditch the elec starter/battery/airbox/subframe. They use all R components there.
Sometimes they hang an X taillight off the rear fender and sometimes they cut out the X taillight/fender and stick it into an R rear fender. Vey trick.

tomahawkracefab

Reaction
I guess you could say the Hondas really "Haul the Mail"!!! :D

lol...! i'll pay that one! well done to all the guys that raced , we're proud of our boys for 'havin a crack' ( and hopefully putting you guys on notice in the first 240 miles ! ) i'm even prouder to be part of the Force Accessories team , from Brian Finn ( Force owner )stepping up to support the race effort to designing and fab'n custom parts for the race bike , it's been a buzz for all of us downunder and we hope to be there next year...oh yeh , the postie bikes win safaris over here , too ! , i rode Brian's crf450R last weekend ( ex team honda with engine mods ) Man ! that thing ripped even with a dez sprocket on the back wheel !