Best Bolts to use

OffRoadGeorge

I am swapping out some of the bolts on my 1 Car. I am looking to use the best bolts for each application. For example I was told that class 9 bolts are too brittle for some applications.

Looking for advice on best bolts to use for the following uses:

1) Shocks
2) Steering rod ends
3) A-Arms

Class 8, Class 9 or other??

Thanks

CRAIG_HALL

Use the best you can afford. Aircraft, then F9-11 then gr-8. GR-8 will, but give them a chance by spending the time to find the proper grip length (no thread in tab/bracket). Involves getting the closest longer bolt and cutting off th excess threads.

Jerry Zaiden

Use the best you can afford. Aircraft, then F9-11 then gr-8. GR-8 will, but give them a chance by spending the time to find the proper grip length (no thread in tab/bracket). Involves getting the closest longer bolt and cutting off th excess threads.
We no longer use F-911... They are crap! To many heads popping off....

We now use Bomalloy and grade 8. But for the real high end stuff I call my dad and get the good stuff!

http://barnesdistribution.com/pdf/eng/brochures/K-1284%20QualityTopDown.pdf

baja stu

Your local CAT dealer can provide you with high strength grade 8 bolts @ 170,000 to 180,000 psi bolts. I have built my whole car with them. And they have some crazy sizes.

M.Harvey1600

yeah i have always used F9-11 then moved NAS aircraft bolts... PRICEY but they last forever... i was replacing my hardware every 5-8 races on my 1600 car just 2 b careful and now i inspect the hardware and we havent replaced hardware n 6 years... well besides floor and skid bolts we still use F9-11's for those but everything else is NAS aircraft quality...

in the long run i feel they r the way to go on any race car!!!

manicmechanic

We no longer use F-911... They are crap! To many heads popping off....

We now use Bomalloy and grade 8. But for the real high end stuff I call my dad and get the good stuff!

http://barnesdistribution.com/pdf/eng/brochures/K-1284%20QualityTopDown.pdf
Thanks for the chart Jerry. I work on cranes and manilifts for those the bolts are purchased from the boom manufacturer. Didnt realize that "A' on the bolthead was a bowmalloy mark since the boom manufacturers name starts with A. These are critical fasteners. We have seen to many times what happens when they fail.
It would be cool to find out who makes bolts for Cat!

OffRoadGeorge

Thank you guys. Jerry you always answer with great information. I apreciate it. If there is ever a chance to bring my car to your shop I will.

NIKAL

I have used the F-911 brand bolt and have never had a failure. I will say to becareful though as there are Chinese knock off 9-11's, and those are junk. They look almost identical except for the marking on the head is a bit different, and if you do not know what a real F9-11 brand bolt looked like, or if not looking close you would not catch it. We got all of our F9-11's at Bolts 4 U and one time we needed a bolt and went to a shop closer to home and was handed a Chinese F9-11. When I questioned it the guy behind the counter did not even know or at least he claimed to not know that those were Chinese that he was selling.

I have seen a bolt shear and a head pop off one before, but they were both Chinese bolts.

joe1369

I have used the F-911 brand bolt and have never had a failure. I will say to becareful though as there are Chinese knock off 9-11's, and those are junk. They look almost identical except for the marking on the head is a bit different, and if you do not know what a real F9-11 brand bolt looked like, or if not looking close you would not catch it. We got all of our F9-11's at Bolts 4 U and one time we needed a bolt and went to a shop closer to home and was handed a Chinese F9-11. When I questioned it the guy behind the counter did not even know or at least he claimed to not know that those were Chinese that he was selling.

I have seen a bolt shear and a head pop off one before, but they were both Chinese bolts.
Is it possible to post up some pictures of the real f-911 and the Chinese knock offs??? Then we will all know what is junk, ha, get it chinese junk.:D

Jerry Zaiden

Just to be clear. We bought all our bolts direct from the manufacture FOREMOST - F-911 .

Keep in mind we bought thousands of there bolts and used them in our kits. We had 2 batches of bolts have problems and that was 2 batches to much.... The bolts were torqued to spec and within a few days the head of the bolt was on the ground next to our race truck that had not even been used yet... This scared the crap out of me! One of our really good friends John Snelling who was the main prep guy for the late Jason Baldwin always said he had problems with F-911 bolts and told us we would see this problem. Now I was always a fan of F-911 until we had the problem twice.
The scary thing is I called Foremost and told them and they said they had never seen this problem. Then we got a call back a few days later stating they have had this problem a few times because of hydrogen embrittlement after plating.

TUBETECK

yeah i have always used F9-11 then moved NAS aircraft bolts... PRICEY but they last forever... i was replacing my hardware every 5-8 races on my 1600 car just 2 b careful and now i inspect the hardware and we havent replaced hardware n 6 years... well besides floor and skid bolts we still use F9-11's for those but everything else is NAS aircraft quality...

in the long run i feel they r the way to go on any race car!!!

Where would I find these bolts your talking about?

joe1369

How about some part#'s of ms or nas bolts, say 5/8" and how do you add the length p/n so we look like we know what we are talking about when we go to order some. Just trying to learn.:D

odtodd1az

Thanks for the chart Jerry. I work on cranes and manilifts for those the bolts are purchased from the boom manufacturer. Didnt realize that "A' on the bolthead was a bowmalloy mark since the boom manufacturers name starts with A. These are critical fasteners. We have seen to many times what happens when they fail.
It would be cool to find out who makes bolts for Cat!
Lawson company makes the hardware for Cat. It's their true torque line I beleive. they have a bit thicker (taller) head. Still has the 8 slash marks on the top, but the shank to thread transition is more radiused for strenght. Like 180, 000 lbs.