• Forum membership has its advantages....

Best Brake Calipers and pads for the Money, Give us your thoughts

Evans Motorsports

It's time to upgrade the CNC 6 piston brakes. As CNC is closing its doors, I think its a good time to upgrade.We need more stoping power. I would like input on Who's brake Caliper and Pad's would have the best stoping power. Bang for the Buck? For trucks ranging from 5500 to 6800 pounds. Not only myself but a few other friends are interested in upgrading also.

MTPyle

We use QTM for brakes and parts. They seem to be pretty fair on price and are knowledgeable. Ask for Tara.

QTM Brakes Web site

Chris_Wilson

Since going to 14" rotors, I've also been wanting to replace the CNC 6 puck which does not fit the big rotors very well.
Some of the newer production cars have some very nice looking calipers designed for 14-15" rotors that might be cheap at a junk yard.
I have not looked in the yonke yet but need to make sure they are designed for the correct rotor width also (1.25" for us).
I have a hard time making the leap from a several hundred dollar caliper to a several thousand dollar caliper like the TT's run.
Anyone tried one of these huge production car calipers on their race truck?

Steve Marolda

Have you considered dual calipers? If money is a concern, two cheap oem type calipers with a big fat aftermarket disc can work pretty good.

McCredie A

I heard stoptech has a great product for the money. I have never ran them but a few people have told me this.

9rocky

Baer Brakes

TrophyBurro

It's time to upgrade the CNC 6 piston brakes. As CNC is closing its doors, I think its a good time to upgrade.We need more stoping power. I would like input on Who's brake Caliper and Pad's would have the best stoping power. Bang for the Buck? For trucks ranging from 5500 to 6800 pounds. Not only myself but a few other friends are interested in upgrading also.
Have has good luck with the CNC on the f100. Wonder if yours would fit. Id like spares

Evans Motorsports

Brembo" are fantastic High Quaility Brakes, However even for a lower line set of 4 calipers its 16,000.00 for the set. Thats not getting a Bang for your buck! Will be using 14 inch rotors, I have had several brands over the years, I was going to try the SSBC brand used for F-350 and F-250 Ford trucks and are considered a upgrade towing Caliper. However after first showing there product at SEMA in 2011 they have closed there doors. They have 6 and 8 piston calipers, its a no go now! Many Many great reviews.

PeteRock

I have used the wilwood 6 piston GN cast aluminum calipers on 14 inch rotors, and they work very well. I am sure they fall short compared to Alcon, Brembo, ProAm, Etc. But they are a fraction of the price.

Josh 8

I can’t tell you what caliper to use but I can say the “e” compound is the right one for desert racing.

I tried the “a” compound once. I took about a 1/32 off each side of the rotor in 10 miles. Just stopping in a normal manner made sparks fly at night. But man, they grabbed!

RobinsonMS

Which pad manufacturer are you referring to with the A thru E compounds? I have Baer 6 piston calipers on a KOH style car with 39s which doesnt stop worth a **** so Im looking for the grabbiest pads out there. Kind of exciting when you cant hold the car back in low range crawling down a cliff.

JP_JCM

The best bang for the buck caliper is a wilwood aero-6. They outperform all proam, brembo and jamar calipers and get this, only $450ea. These are made for a 13-15” 1.25” rotor as well. Send me a pm and i can get you setup with a package.

51rcr

Since going to 14" rotors, I've also been wanting to replace the CNC 6 puck which does not fit the big rotors very well.
Some of the newer production cars have some very nice looking calipers designed for 14-15" rotors that might be cheap at a junk yard.
I have not looked in the yonke yet but need to make sure they are designed for the correct rotor width also (1.25" for us).
I have a hard time making the leap from a several hundred dollar caliper to a several thousand dollar caliper like the TT's run.
Anyone tried one of these huge production car calipers on their race truck?
checkout 2004 Cadillac ctsv calipers brembo made them not sure if the aftermarket kept the design but the price when searching is cheap. the cheap pads fit my brembos that came off one. maybe they just dont say brembo.

Evans Motorsports

The best bang for the buck caliper is a wilwood aero-6. They outperform all proam, brembo and jamar calipers and get this, only $450ea. These are made for a 13-15” 1.25” rotor as well. Send me a pm and i can get you setup with a package.
I would like pricing for a set of 4, with pads. I have 14 inch rotors couldn't figure out how to pm on this site. e-mail me at rbadrag@aol.comT. Scott Evans

Josh 8

Which pad manufacturer are you referring to with the A thru E compounds? I have Baer 6 piston calipers on a KOH style car with 39s which doesnt stop worth a **** so Im looking for the grabbiest pads out there. Kind of exciting when you cant hold the car back in low range crawling down a cliff.

Well the greatest is probably an a compound. One thing any system is going to need is line pressure. Going to a compound like a “a” will compensate for a low application psi but it will also wear fast. Possibly in a few hundred miles or less. I have found that the “e”compound from willwood has great wear characteristics and will last over a 1000 miles in race conditions. But it grabs far less then a stickier compounds.

I use to used that dual master cnc pedal assembly. The results were exactly like you say. It would not stop well. I can see how you would not be able to hold it back in your situation. To fix this I ditched the cnc master cylinders and build my own pedal assembly that works with a stock ford master cylinder and vacuum booster. I used a inline pressure valve to create differential brake bias. And two electric vacuum pumps for the boost as the engine has to much cam. This totally fixed the line pressure issue and now my truck stops. This could have done this with a hydro booster too but I didn’t want to take any oil from the steering system.

25CE6CB8-BCE2-467F-8FBB-529E5D869DF4.jpeg

This a pic of the pedal system looking up. There’s a “L” rocker in there that converts pedal “push” to a cable that runs across the back side of the tire wall and wraps around the passanger side to the back side of the cab. This cable uses a pulling force to actuate the booster and master.

2AAA612F-445C-452D-BF78-01E6BE48DCB8.jpeg

Back side view of the pedal assembly from the seat.

E89B1478-CCB9-4C1F-958C-038BE8DA9B92.jpeg

This is the vacuum booster and master cylinders. It is hidden behind the passenger seat. The white bottle is the fire bottle. The pull cable clearly seen in this pic. The system need two vacuum pumps to work right. The only better way to do this would be use a hydraulic booster from a diesel one ton truck. I could still do that but I don’t want have volume and pressure issues then with the steering pump. My pumps not that big.

5E29C98C-374B-4E02-AE3A-EE29ED6EFA97.jpeg

The truck. Before I did this it would not stop with any amount of confidence. Poor would describe the truck stopping ability with the cnc dual master assembly. Now it stops. Even with the “e” compound pads.

Btw, all the stock parts are “unmolested stock 1995 f-150” parts that can be found in any auto parts store on either side of the boarder. If some thing breaks with the booster or master cylinder, autozone will have it.

Last edited:

Bert is my name

I'm running a vacuum pump of of an early 90s power stroke. Belt driven. I now have constant vacuum to the booster. I really like hydro boost as well. In a race application I would consider running two power steering pumps.

Josh 8

What type of pump? Do you have a picture or part number? It would probably fit in the spot the ac compressor was at.

Last edited:

Bert is my name

I looked up brake vacuum pump for a 93 power stroke on rock auto. I'm like 50 bucks into the thing. Pump ,pulley, plate for the bracket. I'll look for the part number and post it.