• Forum membership has its advantages....

Best Desert Racing Video Game

johndjmix

Since we are all stuck inside, and in Colorado we arent even allowed to go to the mountains, im itching to do some ridding/driving in the UTV or trophylite.

Whats the best game out there? I dont own a Xbox or PS4, but will get one just for the game!

Let me know guys!

--John

michael.gonzalez

I really enjoy Dirt on PS3 but the PS3 is dated.

I have Forza Horizon 4 for Xbox One. I have a Class 10 car, a Can-Am, a Ford Raptor, and couple of other off-road toys on there.
It's mostly a streetcar game but Horizon gives you an open map to explore and there are some fun bits in between all the pavement!

notime

NTR Films media guy
I’ll owned Baja out of control and Dirt 1, 2 on PS3 and Dirt Rally and the new Dirt4 on PS4 and they will keep you entertained for sure. For us desert racing it’s best on the Baja game and Dirt2 , but some WRC it’s good too

Now I see its trending the IRacing everywhere on these days on different forms of racing

class5cole

Baja out of Control is hands-down the best desert racing game. Just wish it hand-in car and seamless long-distance races. Other than that, it's the best you're gonna get for desert

Dirt Rally 2.0 is a ton of fun for the rally realist

johndjmix

Guys, just signed up for iracing.com Seems a lot of the dezert guys are. Short course is pretty realistic!

--John

MTPyle

Guys, just signed up for iracing.com Seems a lot of the dezert guys are. Short course is pretty realistic!

--John

yes its realistic. LOL try and drive the full size Pro 2, Its a real hand full. Took me awhile to get around the track without spinning out. The pro 2 lite is way easier.

We have VR goggles and its crazy haha but for me it makes me sick after about an hour, and I do not get motion sick.

Mike

johndjmix

=). Im thinking of getting the VR goggles....they seem fun and it may help train against getting motion sickness in the real race truck that i always get at V2R.

Maybe we can get a Race Dezert group up on iracing.

--John

johndjmix

So guys, i keep seeing more and more of you on iracing! Not being a video game person, i LOVE this iracing. Doesnt beat the real thing but in VR or 3 screens it feels real enough to make my stomach get the quivers when i crash.

If you haven't checked it out, its defiantly worth some time!

--John

stephenrjking

The Dirt series is an excellent racing game and it's a lot of fun. It is not, of course, genuine desert racing. Dirt Rally 2 in particular is just marvelous, and the courses are astonishingly beautiful.

I have Baja Edge of Control and I'll play it occasionally, but between the glitchy interface and its lack of authenticity, it frustrates me. I like off road racing more than rally racing (I enjoy and will attend both), but I like the Dirt Rally gameplay much better than Baja Edge of Control. Even on the "realistic" difficulty setting Baja is just not that realistic. It's got some accoutrements of off road, and the stages look good, but when I'm in the mood for something that resembles actual off road racing, that's not it.

Dirt 4 does have a reasonably good short course off road element, something absent from Dirt Rally 2, and that can be worth getting when it's cheap.

sb4pro

Dirt4 is really good I’d give it 8 out of 10 stars . Baja is ok maybe 5 out of 10 . But if you really want to go old school get Ivan Stewart Baja Challenge for super NES . It has Ivan’s Toyota but also Ford Rough Riders and a Chevy Thunder as well as some class 1 and 10 added in 👍🏻

J Prich

The thing about Baja Edge of Control is that it's super forgiving. You can basically blast anything with little consequence. I dig it in terms of fun, but if you're looking for "realism" that's not it. I got Dirt 2.0 and went about 100 yards before smashing the car, lol. Much more difficult to "drive". Just depends on what you're looking for I suppose.

DRZ_Motorsports_119

* Dakar Rally, it's glitchy but the SIM aspect to learn Rally Raid in a cheap way is rewarding, the environments are cool and the long stages make it a good endurance video game, personally, I'm a Moto guy and really enjoy the Moto Racing.

* Baja Edge of Control, its a 2007 racing season game its Old School but fun arcade game to really just have FUN.

* WRC7, you have 3 classes to race and work your way up to the premier class. It's difficult in some ways because you need a lot of precision and technique to avoid errors and win races by less of 1 SECOND, love the realistic stages especially Mexico, Argentina, and Poland.

* Dirt 4, basically an all-around off-road game it's fun because you need to adapt your driving style to so many different race cars and race tracks, it's OK.

* Dirt Rally, need to finish Dirt 4 to start playing this bad boy, for sure I like that you can purchase 6-7 more Rally Tracks to make it a total of 12-13 environments.

stephenrjking

Dirt4 is really good I’d give it 8 out of 10 stars . Baja is ok maybe 5 out of 10 . But if you really want to go old school get Ivan Stewart Baja Challenge for super NES . It has Ivan’s Toyota but also Ford Rough Riders and a Chevy Thunder as well as some class 1 and 10 added in 👍🏻
Are you talking about Super Off Road 2: Baja? That game is really underrated. Not realistic in today's terms, of course, but a lot of fun and does sort of give one a "feel" of a Baja event.

Of course, the original Super Off Road was a great game that I really wish were available in wider retro release now. I think the two short course sanctioning bodies are, honestly, really missing out by not tying themselves in with that game. There are some eyeballs available from the nostalgia crowd.

Mxrider909

The thing about Baja Edge of Control is that it's super forgiving. You can basically blast anything with little consequence. I dig it in terms of fun, but if you're looking for "realism" that's not it. I got Dirt 2.0 and went about 100 yards before smashing the car, lol. Much more difficult to "drive". Just depends on what you're looking for I suppose.
You can turn damage up and and also make it so that the trees and rock on the side of the course actually inflict damage.. I've found it really hard with the realisim turned way up, blew the car up like 5 minutes into the san felipe 250 lol.. I only wish we could get updated trucks in the game.

J Prich

You can turn damage up and and also make it so that the trees and rock on the side of the course actually inflict damage.. I've found it really hard with the realisim turned way up, blew the car up like 5 minutes into the san felipe 250 lol.. I only wish we could get updated trucks in the game.
Yeah a modern vehicle list would be pretty rad.

johndjmix

Ive played just about every one, but the ps4 cant compete to what you can do on iracing. You dont see ps4 games with the NASCAR drivers being televised on ESPN like iracing.

Whats super cool is you can design the graphics/paint on the trucks and change every little thing, so you can make it look just like your real race truck!

--John

sb4pro

Are you talking about Super Off Road 2: Baja? That game is really underrated. Not realistic in today's terms, of course, but a lot of fun and does sort of give one a "feel" of a Baja event.

Of course, the original Super Off Road was a great game that I really wish were available in wider retro release now. I think the two short course sanctioning bodies are, honestly, really missing out by not tying themselves in with that game. There are some eyeballs available from the nostalgia crowd.
This is the one I’m talking about it’s my favorite version of the Ivan games
20A7F701-5D3B-402C-9460-CDD893CA11D1.jpegA294322B-3CEC-47E5-98BB-AC7E825AB6CB.png4139360F-100B-4D17-8873-956B4DA79C92.png

Class10DAN

dirt rally 2.0 and dirt 4 are my favorites so far, not really forgiving on the arms though (racing simulator rig) in terms of realistic its bang on, its really fun but its really complicated (from pace notes to how the cars handle and requires a lot of focus, i am currently trying to get 1st place on every stage in dirt 4 and 2.0 and boy has it been a trip

mexgamer

The Dakar game has its flaws, but it is hard and realistic! Sometimes you will find yourself repeating a 1-hour long stage because you completely screwed up, and you don't even know until the end. For example, there are stages with dozens of Speed Zones, and there's no limiter! You won't even know you have like an hour of penalties until the end. Kind of frustrating at first, but realistic (as much as it can be).
Navigating can be hard, the navigator doesn't always gets it right, you have to look at the road-book and drive at the same time. Sometimes the navigator doesn't tell you are lost until a few miles later, backtracking to the point where you got lost isn't easy. It's a good challenge!