Best Dry Dog Food

sean (yt)

Reaction
i just got a new black lab puppy. she will be my hunting partner for the next 15 years hopefully. what does everyone think is the best dry dog food to use? i would like to try canidae because it think their support of racing is awsome. i looked at canidae reviews online and got a buch of upsetting reviews. my other dogs have always had purina and have never had a problem, but id like to try something better. please give me your opinions ans suggestions.

Attachments

• Picture 034.jpg
    Picture 034.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 137
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 124

dezertgirl

"RDC's Social Butterfly"
Reaction
Blue Buffalo... it's expensive but its the best food you can get!! I took a class on pet food (seriously) I know all the ingredients in all the major brands!! LOL :D

You can buy it at Petco or PetSmart but not the grovery store. Look at the first ingredients in dog foods... most of them are meal or bi product... the first ingredient in all Blue Buffalo products is actually MEAT! They have a special puppy formula... your dog will have small solid poops that have less smell because they aren't essentially eating junk food. Healthy shiny coat!! Lots of energy!! Check out their website for more information!! :D

CUTE Puppy by the way!! :D

Wasson Racing

Reaction
I too have black lab who hunts with me and my family. We have always feed it iams or eukanuba is what the trainer feed her. My dog is 100% healthy and we have had 0 problems with iams. This food also kept my dog health when she was in the hospital after she ate a sh** ton of rat posioning do to the AAA pest control man.

OFFRD-JNKIE

Reaction
I too have black lab who hunts with me and my family. We have always feed it iams or eukanuba is what the trainer feed her. My dog is 100% healthy and we have had 0 problems with iams. This food also kept my dog health when she was in the hospital after she ate a sh** ton of rat posioning do to the AAA pest control man.

Just a side note... My Australian Catlle dog ate a case of deacon! Called the vet and they told me to take a turkey baster (sp) and fill it with hydrogen peroxide and force the dog to drink it. It induces vomiting and he was good to go! And on the main topic I have always fed my dogs eukanuba with no problems.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
We feed our dog Canidae, no problems so far!

woundedyak

Mammals fear me
Reaction
Blue is awesome food! It just turned out to be a little to rich for my lab(golden poo) and my vizsla wouldn't touch it! So I have them both on a mixture of Innova evo(dry) and supplement it with a spoon full of Petcurean pet nutrition (wet). Dezertgirl is right. They always list the most beneficial ingredients first. Stay away from anything that has a by-product. That means, it's the by product of the bird. bones,feathers,beaks and so on. Also,watch what it preserved in. If you see "preserved in BHA" run,that's formaldehyde. So it goes right through the pup cause there is nothing of value to it. Since you are going to work her. I make my own dogs food(basiclly a stew) during the hunting season and hiking trips to give them exactly what they need at that time. Then switch back slowly in the off season. http://www.the-hunting-dog.com/dog-nutrition.html Here is some basic info you might find helpful!

Very cute pup! I have some great books I can turn you on too about training labs for sport hunting. I followed few basic ideas and mine is a way better hunter then me!

Sorry! Didn't mean to hijack your thread!

PBR

Reaction
i have to give my lab royal canin rabbit and potato that i buy from the vet since she is allergic to everything, talk about expensive.

the only advice i will give you is stay away from fish flavor, with penny it would come out her pours and she would smell very fishy. (keep your minds out of the gutters people)

Reaction
There was a published study several years ago that you could probably google - found WalMart Dog Food best liked, best value and equal nutrition. My two Labs have only had Pedigree (sp) from Costco since after the Puppy Food. Warning, a 52lb bag means a lot of poop!

P.s. Whatever you do, don't over feed - I hate fat Labs and it is not good for them. Remember they are not people - THEY ARE DOGS!

JENN

"Pinky Poodle"
Reaction
Our dog is on Iams.. A friend of ours crock pots chicken, rice, and veggies for theirs... That's the only "real" way to feed them "real" food. She crocks it every Sunday for the whole week ahead!

sean (yt)

Reaction
woundedyak - awsome pictures, i cant wait. i have had labs in the past that were trained half assed, and i want to do it right thhis time. i got a few dvds from bass pro, but i would love to hear the recomendations of the books you used.

ollie - we should go hunting together!

ramsey - i agree, i hate fat labs, it un called for. i dont want to see ribs, but a health lab is a beatiful thing!

thanks everyone

Shaggy

Reaction
There was a published study several years ago that you could probably google - found WalMart Dog Food best liked, best value and equal nutrition. My two Labs have only had Pedigree (sp) from Costco since after the Puppy Food. Warning, a 52lb bag means a lot of poop!

P.s. Whatever you do, don't over feed - I hate fat Labs and it is not good for them. Remember they are not people - THEY ARE DOGS!

I don't "free feed" either. Lar's is lean machine. :D

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
I've always used either Eukanuba or Iams. As mentioned before, don't free feed especially if you feed him outdoors. Give the puppy 10 minutes to eat then pick up the bowl.

Chase 2

Reaction
I'm not sure what you mean by "feeding him better". I've feed my labs on the same Costco dry mentioned. Once in the morning and NOTHING else period.

MattV

Reaction
Ours gets Nutro Ultra and seems to do well on it. One of the few things that does not bother her fussy digestive tract.

Let's go off roading

Reaction
Labs are the best.

I had a black lab. She had a food allergy. Anything she ate would make her itch and she would lose her hair. The vet suggested Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice Dry and that took care of the problem.