• Forum membership has its advantages....

Best fabricatkr of record...

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
No one has opened this "can of worms" yet. -(Not a poll). Who is the best fabricator of all time? Obviously many dont cater to the public-but maybe some public opinion about fab guys and shops you like and don't like too. Best custom-fab prices? Ripped off-(A.T.S)? Some ideas to throw around.

"I Don't have a quote to put here."

jeff

Re: Best fabricator of record...

This could get ugly quick... I'm not sure this is the type of thread that RDC needs - but no matter what happens, it outta be interesting.

rdc

......and maybe suited for the "shop" section?
Just a thought. And while I'm here I may as well start this with Jason at Camburg. No, he hasn't built any trophy trucks yet and I'm sure if I gave him my Bronco for a few months he would, but the craftsmanship of his work is right up there with the best of them and he WILL work on whomever’s vehicle that comes into Camburg. And while I'm at it, Blas at Camburg is TOP NOTCH and does excellent work also!
Let us all keep in mind that there is more to fabrication than just a pretty tig or cool dimple die. Without good customer services you can through that all out the window. What good is a nice four link if it never gets finished? I think that anyone out there who has ever had any custom fab work done knows what I am talking about. And for those who haven’t yet, keep this in mind, you don’t always get what you pay for so look more for REPUTATION and less for cheap cost and save yourself a lot of headache. Pay a little extra for the piece of mind.

Shaun

Donahoe

I think its a tie between. Russ, Randy,Chris,Mike,Brent,and Jon. YOu can figure our the last names..

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

Donahoe

our=out

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

DougM

I vote Craig Stewart -his work is top notch.
He started out building his own 5/1600, did work on Chuck/Johnny Johnsons 7s Ranger, Brown/OBriens Ranger, Scott Douglas, Steve Ollieges, Wayne Lugo, the list goes on. He does stuff from the ground up or add on stuff. http://www.stewartsraceworks.com

I think this is a bad idea. All it is going to do is start trouble between shops, This is going to turn out to be plug your fabshop for free thread. Customer service is important along with good work. It does not mean anything if it looks pretty and dimple dyed, I can name four trucks from one shop that went to other shops to be redone because they did not work. They looked good though. :)

rdc

most of the big name fabricators are awsome but i think Jason from Cambug is an up and coming top fabricator you should see some of the stuff that he is building for his 4wd explorer i cant describe the craftsmanship you would have to see it for your self.... Mike from HK Motorsports

Gabe Lara

I'd have to agree with JB on this one.
We all have a special relationship with our fabricators, and entrust them with alot of our hard earned cash to do their magic for us, and build strong and reliable toys.
Alot of guys do great work out there, either out of a large shop, or even a backyard garage, it comes down to who you trust to do it right at what you can afford.
My $.02 worth.

Donahoe

Yeah I know what you guys mean...Fabricators are like Plummers... Lots of good ones lots of bad ones... It goes down to who you like to deal with.... You know what might be a better thread Is who did what first... Like an inovation thread.... Who did the first by-pass shock? Who was the first to put a quarter eliptic spring on a truck..??? Who was the first to build a rocker arm on a brake master cylider... (you go Jason) ..?? Stuff like that is fun to know about.... Who did the first internal by-pass? Do ant of you guys know this stuff? I think you might be in for a bitch match on this thread... Becuse not only are fabricators EGO MANIACS...But Customers of FAB GUYS ARE JUST AS BAD BACKING UP THERE BOY!! Its just Male Nature.. LOL The funny thing is there is enough work out there for everyone... And most Fab guys trade work with others...

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

Steve_HKmtrsprts

I really dont have an opinion because what I have Fab'd up has been all garage work and not top quality but it worked. I think of Fabricators as artists, everyone has they're own style and taste its what actually works is what most, are worried about. And if your good enough like all the Camburgs and Donahoes and Mike Smiths you can make it work really well but also make it look really "BITCHEN" as Jerry at Camburg would say. So I hope this message board does not start any bad blood up. We all like to offroad lets keep it like that.

Going big and Filming it all..

El Chinero

The OF ALL TIME is tough. The sophistication has improved throughout the years ... now there are so many artists working in CrMo ... so many clever people. Of course much of it is based on the ground work of others! As Sir Isaac Newton said :"If I have seen further it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants."

(Newton was some English wise-man who developed the laws of motion: F=ma, and all that)

But ... the guy who was INNOVATIVE was old Mickey Thompson. He was the first to really RACE a pickup. His aluminum-blocked Chev V8 "truggy" was way ahead of its time and the the shocks of the time. But for nice work I vote for John Cooley ... Alumnicraft

Tony T
El Chismoso

martininsocal

as for firsts...as applied to 4 wheel offroad- bypass shocks, gil villancourt(not sure of spelling) made big adjustable shocks based on his motorcycle designs. rick haselo(sp* again) was also doing tube bypasses a long time ago. but for overall fab stuff in the sport, i have to go with kevin bunderson. many of his ideas are now mass produced in quantities that make it affordable to run. sleeved, tubed, internal bypass. his a-arm cars of the mid '80's showed the potential for the a-arm cars of today. his quality of work is first rate and he has built from 9 cars through trophy trucks (and all have been winners) so he gets my nod.

If your gonna go, go BIG

ORI

Hey I know that I gotta list a few people that no one probably knows to much about, What about Randy Mcgee (MacPherson Trophy truck and 7 trucks), or Bruce Torrance (Once again MacPherson trucks and also the Herzog trucks), You could also add in Jeff Lewis' name to this list since he did much of the Fabrication work once those two left for greener pastures or how about Bill Gasper (Jeffries Trophy Truck, Mullers 1 and 10 cars, etc..), And also one that everybody should know about is Danny Porter, or how about Dave Snoddy (RE: DAVECO Fabrication, Rusichs Pre-Runners, Herzogs Trucks, MacPhersons 7 Truck). I mean the list could go on and on, but these were some names that werent listed so I figured I would add them in.

Off-Road Insider
I know ALL!!!!!!!!

scott

Its a tie for me Mike Smith, (Herbst), and of course Russ Wernimont, builder of Venable's old Class 8/ TT, Jimmy Smith's Ultra custom wheels Ford ( Herbst old truck), Simon & Simon's Ford F-150, & the Duralast TT......

gary

i don't want my post to take this thread down the wrong road, but why was A.T.S. listed next to "ripped off" in the original post? I'm not looking to start Scott Sells bashing, just curious. My toy has an ATS front end, so I've got my own experiences with ATS, but i'd like to know about others. Anything i need to be aware of?? if nobody wants to public post, please email me. [email protected]
please don't take this the wrong way, not looking to start any wars...

rookie/know-it-all

Jimmy8

Well, I am going to blow some of your minds with this one. The best fabricator of all time is a guy by the name of Greg Kishiyama. He raced class 8 trucks in the 80's and early 90's. He was sponsored by Goodyear, and his work was so good that at the time he retired Ford motor Co. bought his class 8 from him and toured it around the country at their shows because it was so nice. I don't know if any of you have ever heard of him, but his work by far is some of the nicest I have ever seen.

rdc

John-I see what you mean, but I just kind of see this as still an open forum and I think that even if this thread did get a little ugly, maybe we could get some real insight about important stuff-like fabwork. I like the raw knowledge, the old board had massive amounts of [censored]-talking, this one can have a little-my opinion. I understand about the plugs-very true.

rdc

Just my opinion, but I think that this thread is a perfect example of just how well 2.0 really works. Take this subject and put it on the old board and see what happens! Yes it does have all the potential to get real ugly but so far it has actually been very informative. I have never even heard of some of these guys that have been mentioned. Keep up the good work folks!

Shaun

rdc

I definately agree with Jason Cambell selection. He worked on my Ranger. I am trying to get him to build my next truck. If anyone has any doubts about the quality of Camburg, ill put them all to rest. CAMBURG ROCKS, and the customer service is unparralelled.
-Josh