Best in the Desert New Mandatory Fueling Rules for Parker - Please Don't Panic :)

GlamisGurlie

goddess like
Reaction
To All Teams Using Fuel Towers or Pressurized Systems, the Following Apply to You at Parker:

You MUST call BITD and register your system with before Parker. When you come through tech with your vehicle, it is mandatory that you meet with Darryl Putman. Please send your Team Manager, Team Owner and/or Crew Chief with the vehicle in Tech. Darryl will meet with each team and inspect the vehicle. He will be talking with each team at Tech, explaining what will be required by the Mint and answering your questions, as well as discussing upcoming training on fire safety for your designated fire extinguisher handler.

MANDATORY AT PARKER:

2 - 20 pound ABC fire extinguishers (ALL TEAMS, NOT JUST FUEL TOWER/PRESSURIZED SYSTEMS): These MUST be out and on the ground in the fueling area. During fueling, you must have a dedicated crew member at the ready with one (1) 20-pound fire extinguisher. Fire extinguisher compliance will be checked by the Pit Captain and if it is found the crew does not have these on board, the vehicle number will be noted and a penalty will be assessed. Acceptable fire extinguishers are: ABC, Purple K rated, or a Class B foam or equivalent. Must be two (2) 2.5 gallon or 20-pound or larger extinguishers.

Fuel catch underneath the vent area on the vehicle (ALL TEAMS, NOT JUST FUEL TOWER/PRESSURIZED SYSTEMS): Crews will be required at each pit to have a fuel catch/containment mat/catch-all with sides on it underneath the vent area vehicle when fueling. This is to catch the fuel before it hits the ground underneath the vent area of the vehicle. Can be a 5-gallon paint bucket or tub, but must have a minimum of 12" sides, with a capacity to hold 4-5 gallons of fuel. You still must have a carpet or a mat, but carpet is not to be used solely for this purpose!

Dead-man ball valve (spring-loaded ball valve) [FUEL TOWER/PRESSURIZED SYSTEMS]:
Required at the hose connection on the tank on the pressure side where the fuel leaves the tower or pressure system.

PLEASE, please refrain from calling Best in the Desert with questions on this and the new fueling rule - please post any questions here and Darryl Putman will answer them in this forum as timely as possible. The office is super swamped with the day-to-day operations as well as preparing for Parker. We thank you for your understanding on this and will do our best to relay information and answers as quickly as possible. Thanks everyone!

T.martin

Reaction
The old fire extinguisher rule in the rule book states:

SGPT9: All pits must have the equivalent of a UL approved two (2) 10-lb. ABC fire extinguisher at all times; the extinguisher(s) must be manned during all pit stops. This capability may be accomplished using fire extinguishers of any combination (minimum 5-lb. extinguisher) that equals 20 lbs. (i.e. two 10 lb., four 5 lb.). If 5 LB extinguishers are to be utilized, then the pit crew must man two fire extinguishers and be at the ready. All pit fire extinguishers must have current (less than one year old) seal in place, and be fully charged.

Do we need to have (2) 20 lb extinguishers or can we have an equivalent of 40 lbs of extinguisher, ie, (2) 10 lb extinguishers and (1) 20 lb extinguisher?

GlamisGurlie

goddess like
Reaction
Yessir, you must have (2) 20-pound fire extinguishers, not an equivalent. The rule book will be updated soon :)

Last edited:

Big Scott

Reaction
A plastic bucket cannot be grounded, metal bucket can have a grounding strap to vehicle or ground rod.

Hazbeen

Reaction
I found a 60"x36"x12" cement mixing pan that looks like it will do the trick for the fuel catch. I will post where I can find them locally, if I do
image.jpg

Pee Wee

Reaction
I would be careful with too big of a tray. Too much room for vapor. A five gallon container safer.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Reaction
I found a 60"x36"x12" cement mixing pan that looks like it will do the trick for the fuel catch. I will post where I can find them locally, if I do

How you going to both keep it COLD to minimize vaporization, and ground it to minimize electric discharges?

crazyeye

Reaction
Am I missing something here? Wouldn't a metal container be more likely to cause a static discharge?

Hazbeen

Reaction
I'm reading this requirement, and it appears that it is being implemented to prevent soil contamination, as well as to prevent groundwater intrusion. It will also aid with minimizing environmental impacts for adjacent habitats/species. And keep the BLM off our rears.

lvzfyr

Reaction
Works on three types of fire, moves all kinds of fumes?
Just giving options for places to make purchases. If it's my pit I have 20# high flow dry chemical along with an AFFF extinguisher. And most important someone who knows how to use them.

GlamisGurlie

goddess like
Reaction
I'm reading this requirement, and it appears that it is being implemented to prevent soil contamination, as well as to prevent groundwater intrusion. It will also aid with minimizing environmental impacts for adjacent habitats/species. And keep the BLM off our rears.

That is the exact reason, sir.