• Forum membership has its advantages....

Best in the Desert Vegas to Reno

ndvalium

Rescue Director
While plans are nearly complete and course marking starts in just a couple days, I have been talking to people in every town along the route and most are very excited for the return of the race community for the 2015 Vegas to Reno.

One thing that seems to be obvious though is many of these towns are struggling with some, like Mina, completely closing down. If you have raced the last couple years the store in Mina has offered free ice to anyone that stopped during the race. The lady that ran the store was great to stop and talk to. Sadly another stop is now gone along the route. Please keep in mind as you move up the state to stop in these one stop towns and buy a cold drink, top off your gas tanks and say thank you for letting us come through their areas. It actually goes a long way to help the sport when Casey or any other promoter has to stand before their county commission meetings and ask for permission.

Furthermore while my team will be every few miles along road at pit areas or key areas to respond, the local emergency services in every city from Beatty to Dayton is stretched thinner than I have ever seen. In some areas the police officers are having to drive ambulances and fire trucks to emergencies.

Please everyone remember the Vegas to Reno 2015 race is the largest ever. But it is still just a race. We really want everyone to make it home safe.

I hope you all have an amazing time and we will see you at the finish line!

El Mamito USMC

i like to help all the small towns in Baja, im sure we can do some help also on the town along the way here..

ONE_RJ

Great reminder for all of us making the trek through the small towns all the way to Reno.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

WickedGravityVideo

I have no doubt that there will be food stands in Gabbs -- I think it is for cub scouts/ 4H/ etc. Go buy a few hot dogs, even if you have your own food. They are such a cool town to let us race right down their main street, at speed, and pit in their downtown area! Throw some money at Gabbs vendors, please!

y2kbaja

Did Jergensen ever open his brewery in Tonopah? It would be great if they had sack lunches ready to go for the chasers. On the way home make sure to stop there for lunch or dinner.

B1rd

There is a great brewery and barbecue place in Tonopah don't know who owns it

El Mamito USMC

AngryShawn

Pit is on main street, between brucite and waterline

trentk

has anyone heard from nohandslance this year? I tried emailing and calling, could use his help at rawhide. :)

BajaboundMoto

^ I'm gonna disagree...
Do Tonopah & Hawthorne have great burger joints? It's sure ain't McD's.
Socorro's in Mina is super tasty.

If you're heading south on 95 back to Vegas or other parts make a stop there, you won't be sorry

BajaboundMoto

And, one (or 2) more thing we helped Mina with....

Meet "Mina" and "Ten"

ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1439933059.143464.jpg

ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1439933071.833189.jpg

Apparently not being able or wanting to care for 2 cats, someone made the right decision putting these 2 newborns in a box and in the shade of the truck next to us, assuming correctly they would be taken care of.

At one point I said I thought I heard a meow, and then the truck owner was like, "check this out!".
Nobody there was in a position or willing to take them, so, now they live in So.Cal.

We think they were about 9-12 days old when they were left in the pit.
They were about 3 and 3.5 oz on Friday, up to about 7 and 7.5 oz today.

Last edited:

pgarfinkle

Tim,

I thought there were Vegas and Reno?