• Forum membership has its advantages....

On Topic Best in the desert

Bro_Gill

Vegas to Reno is one of the easier chase races since most pits are accessed by highways easily along the route to Reno. Only 1 really remote pit and one somewhat remote pit, but if you figure your fueling out right, you don't need folks there.

I have seen Baja Pits and Checkers at V2R. Also BFG at the bigger pits.

OFFRD-JNKIE

IT depends on what you're racing... Bike guys can do it with two trucks just leap frogging form pit to pit, if you're racing a TT or faster class it takes quite a bit more.

cynicwanderer

we do it with one chase van. my bike gets 80-100miles/tank, so I can skips pits, especially the remote pits like rawhide. Baja Pits is there, who will bring your gas and parts out to whatever pits you want. silver state 300 is a good practice race before V2R to iron out/test your pit strategy.

IT depends on what you're racing... Bike guys can do it with two trucks just leap frogging form pit to pit, if you're racing a TT or faster class it takes quite a bit more.
I have chased it from start to finish for TT, class one and 7200. Towards the end of the day we were struggling to keep up with the race car but, we were having a perfect day. It was stressful. Also, its basically humanly impossible;le to keep up with Josh Daniel. Richard remember when your chase truck picked up a nail on the highway? That was close to being catastrophic position wise.

OFFRD-JNKIE

^^^^^^ Yep remember it well this last year chasing the Ridgeline picked up a nail in the tire thankfully with a full bottle of nitrogen I was able to fill the tire at each stop if I would have never caught up to make it to my stops ahead of the truck.

MasTacos

V2R chase is fairly straight forward, I recommend at least 2 vehicles that can leapfrog (one will have to tow the trailer). It's fast (assuming nothing breaks) and can be pretty fun.

Baja Pits does set up and is a good option for either fuel splashes or hauling spares. The remote pit at Rawhide can be worked around if you fuel at Hawthorne.

Mike321

Make sure you stay at the Clown Motel. Best place to stay especially if your wife/gf get scared of scary movies
I'm sure this is a great place, but don't plan on staying there in 2019. The 2019 race is a one-day event. Book hotels close to the start and end, neither are in Vegas or Reno.

Tip -- Bring more spare tires than you think you need, including tires for the chase trucks.