best oil

peezy

Reaction
i have a 2003 yzf250, whats the best oil????

07FJRog

Reaction
Amsoil, wet clutch compatible formula. 10w-40

Dezertpilot

Reaction
I dont know if I would use RP in my bike. But their is no "best" oil, do some research. Their is plenty of websites out there that have some good info on oils.

CHASER

Reaction
This is just like a "whats the best tire"? Everyone will have a different opinion. Any of the name brands will be fine. Don't go cheap on oil. Run the good **BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME**.

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
This is just like a "whats the best tire"? Everyone will have a different opinion. Any of the name brands will be fine. Don't go cheap on oil. Run the good **BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME**.
Second that,,,,,,toooo many questions Peezy.

BajaboundMoto

Reaction
Best oil is easy..... FREE oil!
Kinda like what the "best bike".... a free one!

amr126

Reaction
If your talking about premix, I have always used good ole' Yamalube 2R. I took my YZ 125 in before to get the barrel deglazed after 30 hours of track racing and riding and the mechanics said they didn't even need to do anything.

peezy

Reaction
i am not trying to ask about brands like 10w20 like that. yeah i know i've been asking a lot of Q's but i dont really have a dad in the house so i am trying to learn on my own.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Go on to ThumperTalk.com and search under the Yamaha forum. TT has a lot of good info floating around.

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
Peezy, not gangin' up on ya. Agreed, www.Thumpertalk.com is a great bike Forum(s). TON's of bike knowledge there. Once again, make sure to read your manual for the type of oil and the right amount. For me, I like Maxima!

Sparky

Reaction
Rotella T synthetic 5w-40. Way less expensive than the bike-specific oils. Don't believe all the hype that you need to run one of the $10/qt motorcycle oils. Had the Rotella analyzed by Blackstone Labs after 10 hours in my 04 YZ 250F and it was still fine. I was going to do the same thing with some Bel Ray and some Spectro, but after about 4 hours on each I could barely shift the bike. Went back to Rotella and all is good. I change it every 6-8 hours depending on my schedule.

peezy

Reaction
when should i change the oil? after read weekend at the dezert? or at less every 1-3 trips? also when i change the oil should i clean the oil filter or replace it? and clean the oil strainer right?

Dezertpilot

Reaction
when should i change the oil? after read weekend at the dezert? or at less every 1-3 trips? also when i change the oil should i clean the oil filter or replace it? and clean the oil strainer right?
What I am doing now is using a Scotts SS filter (Stainless Steel) because it is a good filter and will save me $ in the long run. This is how my oil change routine goes. I am now using Mobil-1 4-stroke racing oil, don't have much test time so I will report on it when I have used it for a bit. But I would change around 10 hrs and if using the paper filter change every other oil change, so at 20 hrs. Every time I would take mine out it was still really clean. Some people change every 3rd oil change btw. Trans I will change every 20 hrs, the clutch oil doesn't get that dirty and the oil doesn't ever get hot or change color (Due to no carbon from the combustion chamber) But still keep an eye on stuff to make sure everything is doing a-ok. And yes clean the strainer and check the magnet! Clean also if necessary.

cosmo

Super Moderator
Reaction
What is a "read weekend?

peezy

Reaction
each sorry about that

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Peezy did you sign up at ThumperTalk.com yet?