Best or brightest memory from behind the bars or wheel

Josh 8

Reaction
Let’s here about the memories your personal memories that stand out from desert racing.

For me it was in 2000. It was my first ever desert race. It entered pie plate at Spangler (D37) on my kx 500. I was 29. When the flag dropped I kicked the bike over and was gone! Being a big guy I could start it while in second gear no problem. So I revved it and dumped the clutch. Two things that stuck out in my memory. The roar or all the bikes at once, that was awesome! One of the coolest sounds ever! It has to be experienced to understand. Just standing behind the bikes as they leave is not the same as being on a bike when it goes from silence to a roar all at once from a dead engine start. Then what totally shocked me was the hole shot that followed . I got out in front and all of a sudden I could not understand what happened. My bike just sounded funny. It was making a wing ding sound instead of a bruuup, bruuup sounds. I glanced down. Wander what the hell? Is it leaning out? Is the fuel off? Is it gonna quit? Then I realized I was out front and the roar of the other bikes was all fading into the dust and I all I could hear was my own bike winging it away. And that’s when it hit me. I was out in front. This is one of the racing memories that sticks out the most for me.

I did get to the trail first (hole shot). But shortly after that a guy on an old air cooled Xr 400 passed. I followed for a while but that dude was smoking fast on a turd 💩!

Last edited:

Honda48X

Reaction
I’m with you Josh. I was on my CRF-450 and did the same thing. I got the hole shot and was so excited I hit the tabletop at way to fast of speed and ended up over jumping it and flat landed so hard my shocks compressed and my knees tried to do the rest and bam I get this shot up my spine and pulled off the track and sat for 20 minuets. I was done for the night. As they say “with age comes a cage”.

Dlock5

Reaction
Let’s here about the memories your personal memories that stand out from desert racing.

For me it was in 2000. It was my first ever desert race. It entered pie plate at Spangler (D37) on my kx 500. I was 29. When the flag dropped I kicked the bike over and was gone! Being a big guy I could start it while in second gear no problem. So I revved it and dumped the clutch. Two things that stuck out in my memory. The roar or all the bikes at once, that was awesome! One of the coolest sounds ever! It has to be experienced to understand. Just standing behind the bikes as they leave is not the same as being on a bike when it goes from silence to a roar all at once from a dead engine start. Then what totally shocked me was the hole shot that followed . I got out in front and all of a sudden I could not understand what happened. My bike just sounded funny. It was making a wing ding sound instead of a bruuup, bruuup sounds. I glanced down. Wander what the hell? Is it leaning out? Is the fuel off? Is it gonna quit? Then I realized I was out front and the roar of the other bikes was all fading into the dust and I all I could hear was my own bike winging it away. And that’s when it hit me. I was out in front. This is one of the racing memories that sticks out the most for me.

I did get to the trail first (hole shot). But shortly after that a guy on an old air cooled Xr 400 passed. I followed for a while but that dude was smoking fast on a turd !
Xr400 lol that's a great story, as an xr400 rider that dude must've been really good to check out on that bike.

JDDurfey

Reaction
For the 06 Baja 1000 I was scheduled to get on the bike at Valley T and ride to El Crucero. Two days before the race a buddy that was to ride from El Crucero to San Ignacio had emergency surgery and couldn't make it. And then about 2 hours later we learned that a teammate was hauled away from La Purisima in an ambulance with a broken femur from a pre-run crash. After several hours of phone calls trying to locate him we turned to Oscar Ramos, who located him for us. As the logistics guy for the team I had to pull something together quickly.

I moved my start to Honda Pit 3 just outside San Felipe and rode the race bike all the way to San Ignacio. I then rode in a pickup down the highway to a check point north of Loreto where the course came out to parallel the highway. I got back on the bike and rode an additional 30 miles through all that nasty silt and water crossings in the dark without pre-running or ever seeing it.

In total, I raced 530 miles of that race and rode a pre-runner bike from Ensenada to Honda Pit 3 (most of it on the highway, but I did cut down across Diablo to save some time) We finished the race 10th in the Sportsman class and I believe we were 3rd in the championship. I was one tired puppy after that.

It is a great memory and an accomplishment I am proud of.

Josh 8

Reaction
If I wasn’t old fat and fragile I would still be riding. The last straw for me was a blown out acl. A broken neck didn’t do it at 24 either. But the acl at 43 did.