• Forum membership has its advantages....

Best Place to camp for 2016 Baja 250

Hello everyone. I am a new member to this forum and will be taking my first trip to the Baja 2016 this week. I My buddy and I wanted to head down Friday morning and find a place along the race course, preferably easily accessible by HWY 3, to camp and watch the race on Saturday. Any suggestions would be very helpful. I have a 4x4 truck so I am not as limited as a 2wd. Also, is the course identifiable and/or marked or do I need to kind of just figure it out on my own?

Thanks everyone!

rakso

The course is marked, check for the map around here. Where are you driving from? As far as camping, pretty much anywhere close to the course. You'll see plenty of people campaign.

Thanks for the info Rakso. I am driving from Palm Springs and crossing at Calexico. Plan to head out Friday morning. Looks like there will be some good spots along HWY 3 so that is where I will head.

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
You can stay anywhere really. You can stay in town and move to a good spot in the morning before the race starts. You can try to watch them pass close to the start and then you have more than enough time to go back through town and go towards the finish to see them again.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Bajacolorado

Yep - the best plan would to be to camp within the first 40 miles of the race (best to camp well north of Zoo road Crossing) - say above RM 26 or south of HWY 3. Then you would have plenty of time to see the bulk of the 4 wheel classes and then I would head to the southeast end of the course. There is great access to about RM 174 ( across from the sign that takes you to Percebu camp on the ocean). That is what my group is doing - RM 26 then RM 174 - or maybe further to south most portion of the course. Honestly - I have been at the finish line and I would avoid it - the trucks are spread out by then and the crowd is swarming.

partspimp

Percebu is a good spot. Race course is easily accessed. they have food bar and shower. Oh and get a casuela.but im biased had a house there for 20 years.

rakso

Thanks for the info Rakso. I am driving from Palm Springs and crossing at Calexico. Plan to head out Friday morning. Looks like there will be some good spots along HWY 3 so that is where I will head.
Cool were leaving Friday morning as well. Taking pretty much the same route. I'm picking up my buddy in calexico then San Felipe and Pre Running all day!!

Thanks for all of the great info guys. A lot of great ideas here. I ended up getting a place to stay in San Felipe on Friday night and then I am going to head out to RM 26, or somewhere thereabouts, for the beginning of the race. May try to head to RM 174 next...not sure. Everyone be safe and have a blast!

AZ7000'

Right north of where the highway splits about 15-20 miles north of SF, hole in the fence and usually a big left sweeper. Great place to post up for the bikes and cars, then grab tacos and beer in town and head south of town near the airport and watch cars come through towards the end. That's my dos centavos.