Best platform for family prerunner (Chevy?)

The_Punisher

Reaction
As I have test, tuned and beat my 97 Jeep XJ I have quickly realized it's not the most ideal platform for going fast in the dirt. I have a wife and enough kids at this point now that we can't even all fit in the XJ as well.

I've thought of building a Suburban next. If you guys wanted to build something decent that would beat my XJ what year would you choose and 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton? I like the 2500 Suburbans because of 3/4 ton running gear and the 6.0L/4L80E.

What year did the suburban go from rear leafs to coils?

My other idea was a 4 door wrangler (which I've had in the past) and throw in a 3rd row seat. They make brackets to install the rear seat from a 2 door as a 3rd row in a JK. I was always very pleased with how my JK performed even with 10" of travel. (fox 2.0's, king air bumps in the front and such)

The rig would be something that might see road trip duty and family wheeling fun in the dirt. I wanted something that could tow my XJ, but I'm starting to think down the line it will actually just replace my XJ all together. I'm also aware I misused the title of prerunner, don't know what else you'd call it.

JDDurfey

Reaction
If you want 4wd with good travel and lots of suspension kits to choose from a mid 90's Ford crew cab would be a good start. The TTB front diff can get 16 plus inches of travel.

JDDurfey

Reaction
The only problem with a TTB Ford is that a crew cab F-150 is rare. There are a few out there. But you could take a 3/4 ton crew cab and put coil springs in the front instead of the leaf springs.

I have an extended cab 91 model sitting in my junkyard on the ranch without a title I thought about slapping a crew cab on and building one, but I have had bigger priorities.

The_Punisher

Reaction
That's funny you say that. As soon as you mentioned a crew cab ford I searched the web and I couldn't find any with front TTB. I had to google it to be sure it was even possible haha

And only issue with that truck is at most it's going to seat 6. There's 6 of us now, and my wife and I want one more. So really something with a 3rd row would work well.

JDDurfey

Reaction
Sounds like an Excursion or a Suburban is what you will need to haul your tribe around. Or find a Ford Centurion. That would be cool because it came as a TTB and put a 3rd row in it. There is a build of one going on right now in the Shop Show and Tell section.