Best programmer?

trenchless

Reaction
Can anyone recommend an aftermarket programmer for a 2500HD with the 6.0 gas motor? I've looked at Bully Dog and Hypertech so far, looking for better mileage and shift points since getting bigger tires. More power wouldn't hurt either!

JENN

"Pinky Poodle"
Reaction
I am in the process of purchasing a programmer for a DIESEL 6.6 Chevy 2500 HD ... I decided to go with Bully Dog.

Last edited:

D4D

Reaction
Trenchless I am a little partial but I will give it to you as staright as I can.

If you are only interested in a downloder (Chip, module, etc.) everyone is pretty simular, we are all getting close to the same HP and torque numbers, fuel mileage is close across the board too. You will see a few differences in the particular product. Both Bully Dog and Hypertech offer an economy tuner geared for maximum economy with a little more power. The Bully Dog product features a big selection of other adjustments depending on the vehicle application. You can adjust shirt points, shift firmness, calobrate your speedo for bigger tires, set a maximum speed or remove the limiter all together, you cal also read, diagnos and erase those codes after it is addressed and the biggest advantage is that the product can be adjusted on the fly while you are driving. Our downloaders feature different power settings being able to adjust those up or down while driving is a big bonus. Coming up to a large hill, have a heavy trailer dial it up a setting or two. Want to race a punk kid in his Civic at the stop light turn it up.
Now if you want more then just a downloader you can step up to the Performance Management Tool that is a downloader, gauge and tuner all in one, it is 4 color, touch screen, allows you to monitor 4 functions at one time, adjust power levels and all that. It is also loaded with safety features. If you EGT, coolant temps or a few other systems get to hot, are over worked the PMT will automatically detune it's self as you drive and then once the temps are safe it will bring the power back. This is VERY cool for guys towing and guys driving a ton of miles. A picture of the PMT is below, it was released in 2007 and is so popular we have a hard time filling all our warehouse orders almost 2 years after it was introduced.

Another benifit to Bully Dog is that you can try our product before you buy it. No catch, no gimmick. Visit one of our dealers near you, tell them you want the Bully Dog Tri Before You Buy download, it takes about 7 minutes and then it is on your truck. It is just a sample tune, shows you a little more power lets you see the mileage increase for yourself. After about 3 day it goes away on it's own and your truck is stock again. We see 83% of those that try it come back and buy product!

Attachments

• PMT_onPillar_fade_left.jpg
    PMT_onPillar_fade_left.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 167

stevenc

Reaction
Don't get a programmer.. A custom computer tune will provide you with a much happier drive. You will get more power and be able to customize everything about your tune.

The following companies offer them mail over, with free changes/upgrades.

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/
http://www.nelsonperformance.com/
http://www.gowheatley.com/
http://www.pcmforless.com/

Search around the net, you will see why a custom tune is much more valuable then a handheld tuner.

I'm in the process of building a custom turbo'ed silverado for myself, never could be done right with a handheld.

dirtdudeaz

Reaction
+1 on the custom tune. Get a mailorder tune. Or if you know of a shop in your area go talk to them. A shop that has eperience tuning the Gm motors and that has a dyno will be perfect.

SpeedBump

Reaction
Or if you know of a shop in your area go talk to them. A shop that has eperience tuning the Gm motors and that has a dyno will be perfect.

Anyone suggest someone with experience with a LQ4 and a dyno that can handle a 88" wide track width in Orange County CA?

gundi

Reaction
I am in the process of purchasing a programmer for a DIESEL 6.6 Chevy 2500 HD ... I decided to go with Bully Dog.

Bully Dog is great for diesel. My buddy has one for his Chevy Dura and loves it. I have the Hypertech Max Energy E-CON for my 6.0 gas Chevy. Gives an okay upgrade in power and gives me another 3 to 5 more mpg than what I was getting before.

trenchless

Reaction
Bought the Bully Dog Power Pup for my 2500HD with the 6.0 gas motor. Set it to regular and tow mode, since it is my work truck & DD, works great! Did not check mileage yet but the truck runs a lot better and shifts better, feels like a new truck!

Dezertpilot

Reaction

D4D

Reaction
Alex can you give numbers before and after the install? I will put you in touch with our tech guys and see if there is a problem. Usually Dodge guys see the biggest increases. Also another thing to consider is now that you have some added power are you maybe driving the truck harder thus the mileage would be reduced? A lot of people see this this, they get more power and their foot gets pinned to the floor. That usually wears off after 30 days or so ;) just a thought as you don't get better mileage when you are driving hard like RG :)