Best race course Ive ever seen

critter81

RDC Crypto
Yeah, Im saying exactly that. The Baja 1000 course is more gnarly than Isle of Man TT.
It is a 37 mile paved road over about 1300 feet of elevation change with huge rocks (and other stuff) directly on the edge of the road.

Or, exactly like the 30ish mile road section through Catavinia.

The course isnt what makes it hard, we could walk around the course in one long day. Walk to La Paz...on this course.

What takes TT up the level is the constant reminder of mortality when you attempt to compete at a worldclass level. And while it is truly in a class of their own, I would submit that anyone that competes in offroad motorsports at the highest levels is pushing the same envelope, obviously not to the same extent in a cage...but there is many points when you are on the ragged edge that I would assume is a bad decision, broken part, or blown high pressure line on the talent tank from dying. They arent captured on film as much, which is a double edged sword.

Apples to Oranges
Dave I understand what these guys are saying but in all honesty I am the only American (I think in the world too but need some research on that) that has earned the right to comment and draw comparisons and conclusion on the similarities and differences between the two... While both have an element of danger just simply look at the death rate per rider in the IOMTT and compare it to Baja...at one point about 2% of the cometitors at the IOMTT were dying EVERY year..The IOMTT is something everyone should see once in their life... It will really put things in perspective for folks...

snivilous

RDC Crypto
Dave I understand what these guys are saying but in all honesty I am the only American (I think in the world too but need some research on that) that has earned the right to comment and draw comparisons and conclusion on the similarities and differences between the two... While both have an element of danger just simply look at the death rate per rider in the IOMTT and compare it to Baja...at one point about 2% of the cometitors at the IOMTT were dying EVERY year..The IOMTT is something everyone should see once in their life... It will really put things in perspective for folks...
But we're talking course vs course. And while a lot of people might die because they're pushing the envelope and there's lots of places to f*** up, at the end of the day it's still a highway with turns that are consistent each lap. Maybe you need bigger balls for IOMTT, but the nature of off-road and having so many different and changing and inconsistent variables is what makes the courses a lot cooler than any paved motorsport imo. Now if deathrate is the only metric you care about, then I see your point.

critter81

RDC Crypto
But we're talking course vs course. And while a lot of people might die because they're pushing the envelope and there's lots of places to f*** up, at the end of the day it's still a highway with turns that are consistent each lap. Maybe you need bigger balls for IOMTT, but the nature of off-road and having so many different and changing and inconsistent variables is what makes the courses a lot cooler than any paved motorsport imo. Now if deathrate is the only metric you care about, then I see your point.
Yes I get your point, and I agree but someone brought in the danger discussion, and so I thought I would chime in...Yes depending on your perspective and what you are into this can be different for each individual...If you like dirt better than pavement it's like blondes, brunette's and red heads..

jon coleman

in n out.double double w cheese
RDC Crypto
Neat thread turned into a pissing contest
cool
thats a first....( i think the Targa Florio was way gnarley, i always liked Brian Redman pre run video, 1970, blasting thru the public streets, one scene there's a pedestrian running for his life, frikkin Awsome😘 dirt is more fun to race, more of the drivers interpretation & line selection is involved to go quick, road racing is a prescribed line, Much less drivers idea of a fast line, watch the top offroaders, like in the classes like 11& 9, look at the fast guys lines compared to the pack, thats the fun of dirt

Last edited:

Dezertpilot

RDC Crypto
Or had a helicopter chasing a drug lord crash and block it! Do we even need to add the theft of a corpse after that to seal the deal?
Oh man! That was at the 500 right, what year again? I remember at night seeing like every cop in town down there with their lights on.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
I have riden sport bikes and driven our truck. Not even close to the same as racing a street bike or a TT. But I feel way safer in the truck than on a sport bike.

Crashing on a sport bike is like me throwing a breakfast burrito out the window at 80 on the highway. Not going to end well for the burrito. Crashing in a TT is like leaving the burrito in the truck in the center console and crashing. You will probably be able to eat the burrito after the truck crash. I think I need a good breakfast burrito right about now. LOL

Mike

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
Oh man! That was at the 500 right, what year again? I remember at night seeing like every cop in town down there with their lights on.
That was the '07 B1000. The Class 1 owned by the cartel started right in front of us. The chopper swooped down and dusted out the car every time they tried to pass. I was waiting at BFG 1 right before Mike's road to get into navigate when the chopper crashed into the power lines that cross Mike's road. They came by the pit with the chopper extremely low! Our car developed a power steering leak and was stopped for a few minutes. They landed a medic chopper at the BFG pit to take the injured away. When we arrived on the scene of the crash the locals had cut a hole in the fence and we turned left through the brush around the crash site. It knocked out power to San Felipe. The guy navigating in our car for the first part of the race planned on staying there that night, but ended up going back to AZ instead.

Tom_Willis

RDC Crypto
thats a first....( i think the Targa Florio was way gnarley, i always liked Brian Redman pre run video, 1970, blasting thru the public streets, one scene there's a pedestrian running for his life, frikkin Awsome😘
Nope. This is the gnarled real street run ever. 1976 in Paris, running wfo in a big boy 6.9l Mercedes. Before cars had ABS, shoulder belts, decent tires & brakes. Just you and the steel dash in front of your face. Enjoy the scariest REAL footage ever. he ran 13 red lights and a dozen stop signs without hesitation, only swerving to avoid trash trucks and busses. The balls on this guy are so big they clank when he walks around.

Last edited:

critter81

RDC Crypto
thats a first....( i think the Targa Florio was way gnarley, i always liked Brian Redman pre run video, 1970, blasting thru the public streets, one scene there's a pedestrian running for his life, frikkin Awsome😘 dirt is more fun to race, more of the drivers interpretation & line selection is involved to go quick, road racing is a prescribed line, Much less drivers idea of a fast line, watch the top offroaders, like in the classes like 11& 9, look at the fast guys lines compared to the pack, thats the fun of dirtI
There is no prescribed line on road courses it depends on your set up, etc etc etc... You as a spectator cannot see the difference because it might be only 3-4 inches between riders but 3-4 inches on a road course is a big deal

jon coleman

in n out.double double w cheese
RDC Crypto
There is no prescribed line on road courses it depends on your set up, etc etc etc... You as a spectator cannot see the difference because it might be only 3-4 inches between riders but 3-4 inches on a road course is a big deal
true, but no driver in the history of All motorsports 2, 4 wheel has Ever hit the " perfect" line ,,, never, its just in offroad the line interpretations of the driver dictate more i believe in race outcome, vehicle empathy, ect, some drivers lines are pure magic, above what we mortals see, they are the fast ones