best radio for putting in a race truck

reverhart

if money wasn't an issue, or better yet, what do the top trophy trucks use for radios

I'm done with not being able to talk to our pit crew --we have a kenwood tk-790H with a remote head
and I swear it works great for about 1 mile then nothing

we have two problems left, cooling and a radio

what is the right thing to do-- just take it to PCI

I want to talk for 20 miles at least

what would you recommend!!!

sick of hiking to the top of a hill to use a cell phone!!!!!!

racer56

Sounds like an antenna problem or something else, as the tk 790h is the gold standard for off road racing.

henderoni

Talk to PCI, it sounds like an antenna problem. I had the exact same issue, exact same radio, and it was antenna related. Works great now!:D

43mod

our tech guy finally got time to tune in our radios/antennas and it is night and day.i would think any 2 way radio shop could help you out.find out where the cops go

Wild bill

no better than a 790h. Hopefully you bought yours from PCI. If that radio is on a TT and doesn't work, they will fix it or die trying.

maxyedor

My little Vertex 3200 can transmit somewhere between 60-75 miles depending on the terrain. Check all the simple stuff really quick before you go further. How's the ground? are the wires large enough? are they good quality wires? is the antenna cable pinched or torn? is the antenna tuned? is it the right style antenna? id your base radio set-up properly? would you like to throw that 790 in a box and ship it to me for $50?

reverhart

sounds like wires then, PCI just sent us a new antenna prior to the race
re-wire and see how it does

ProfessionalPitMan

A new antenna doesn't necessarily fix it! Give Racer X a call, and have him dial everything in! We had Mike set up antennas before V2R and it was insane how much better everything worked. Obviously there are times when radios just wont get it done, but we had flat desert and were able to talk for well over 40 miles. Mike at Racer X is thorough and super knowledgeable. Also a cool guy.

sweetdevil

Give us a call we will go over some possible issues. A properly tuned antenna can cut your range by 90%, so antenna could very well be it. Where is the vehicle located? You could bring it by the shop here in Long Beach or at a race. We can find and fix the problem for you. 562-427-8177

07FJRog

Give us a call we will go over some possible issues. A properly tuned antenna can cut your range by 90%, so antenna could very well be it. Where is the vehicle located? You could bring it by the shop here in Long Beach or at a race. We can find and fix the problem for you. 562-427-8177
then i want one improperly tuned:eek: lol