Best refresh rate for a Lowrance?

Forty1Racing

Reaction
Our team ( as well as many others apparently.. ) have been having an issue with our 840c not having a fast enough refresh rate. Is there a more current software with better refresh rates... or a more current gps that is more suited for high speed turn calling?
I'm quite ignorant on the subject so please help RDC!

BobbyD

Reaction
If i'm not mistaken, Rhiannon at PCI was giving the GPS class and I believe she was commenting on the refresh rate is based on the antenna and the new antennae have a faster rate. Contact PCI to confirm.

Mike_Cohen

Reaction
...the refresh rate is based on the antenna and the new antennae have a faster rate...
The new Lowrance Baja LGC-4000 does indeed refresh quicker, 5 times per second as opposed to 1 time per second. This nifty upgrade can be accomplished on any NMEA 2000 enabled GPS system, including those that are using the LGC-2000 and LGC-3000 antennas.

In addition, this package comes with a powered network that allows you the ability to run multiple GPS units, multiple redundant antennas etcetera. When upgrading from an LGC-2000 or LGC-3000 unit, please note which antenna you have, your GPS model number, and even the color of the network connectors and we can provide you with whatever you need to get upgraded.

Congratulations on the 3rd place finish at Mesquite!!!

Give us a call 619-258-RACE (7223) as we would be glad to help anyone out with their GPS questions, issues, updates, etcetera.

Thanks and good luck!
Mike

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
In addition, this package comes with a powered network that allows you the ability to run multiple GPS units, multiple redundant antennas etcetera. When upgrading from an LGC-2000 or LGC-3000 unit, please note which antenna you have, your GPS model number, and even the color of the network connectors and we can provide you with whatever you need to get upgraded.
You know Mike, thats all well and good in a boat installation where it's installed once and never removed. But in a race car those wimpy plastic connectors don't stand up to repeated removals and placing all the electronic hardware in an antenna thats likely to get wiped off the vehicle is just a bad idea. When are they going to offer a unit with the electronics on board the unit and a cheap replaceable Trimble antenna? This is what the racers really need.

sweetdevil

Reaction
Honestly, you shouldn't notice a problem with the refesh rate on an 840c. The LGC-4000 is a nice upgrade for speedometer and screen, but if you have a very noticeable refresh rate being slow in an 840c there may be a problem with the unit itself. When your next race is more than 30 days out, I would send to Lowrance to check out or come by at a race so I can tell you if it's got a problem or you are possibly expecting too much out of your LGC-3000 :)

Also - to rule out a software problem, go to www.lowrance.com and download the latest software upgrade for your GPS.

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
There is an update for that unit as of today. Also there is one for the 540C.

Forty1Racing

Reaction
Thanks for all the help guys.

trent06

Mush
Reaction
Anyone care to post the link to the 540C upgrade off the Lowrance site....And do we just download the upgrade to our SD card and once that is finished put it back into our GPS in my case the 540C and install it?

sweetdevil

Reaction
Anyone care to post the link to the 540C upgrade off the Lowrance site....And do we just download the upgrade to our SD card and once that is finished put it back into our GPS in my case the 540C and install it?
http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products...ownloads/GlobalMap-Baja-540C-Software-Update/

www.lowrance.com > downloads > product software updates

Install the update on your card, turn your GPS unit off, then insert card, power GPS unit on. Follow instructions on screen. (but normally just remove card and press power when or if it instructs you to)

You will usually need to change your settings for map orientation and overlay data. Some updates may reset those values to factory settings.

Zambo

Reaction
Are you talking about the position refresh rate of the antenna or the screen refresh rate? It sounds like your screen isn't refreshing and is moving slowly? I don't have one of the newer hi def models but on the older lowrances the screen will refresh much more slowly if you have a ton of map data selected. When we race I turn remove the sd card with the map data and deselect just about all features to be drawn. This lets the unit refresh the screen much more quickly, allowing a smoother moving map of the course line.