best satellite phones/communications for Baja??

RhettMorgan72

RDC Crypto
Hey everyone!
I'm wondering what the best setup will be for sat coms for Baja 1000? scores new regulations require sat coms after October 1st 2022.
has anyone had any luck with reliable sat phones/ PTT?

Thanks in advance!

AZ7000'

RDC Crypto
Does a starlink count?

Advertising supports this site

calstyl2

RDC Crypto
We ran Starlink with full data, text, voice and internet calling, plus live feed

Jessaca

RDC Crypto
Website
www.wickedracingca.com
I am bumping this because I am looking for the same info. i have only found 2 reputable PTT satellite radio capable phones. Iridium Extreme and Icom ic-sat100. Both work on the iridium satelite system. They are running about $1200 a piece. I need to sell a kidney so I can purchase 3. Does anyone know of a less expensive option.

i looked at renting them. It looks to be about $1000 for 10 days for rental. So, it seems to be cheaper in the long run to just purchase them now.

Starlink is awesome but, it doesn’t have the PTT access that the new rule requires.

Anyone have any input?
thanks!

fishd00d

What A Joke
RDC Crypto
Website
www.fishgistics.com
The new PTT systems are awesome as an alternative to the full Msat system if you haven’t already invested in those. At 5k+ a piece those can add up really quick! The Icom system is pretty cool because you can use it as a hand held if you’re outside of the car and then plug it back into the car kits when you get back in. PCI also has an adaptor so you can use it with their radio/intercoms and switch from transmitting on the radio to transmitting on the Sat radio it’s pretty cool.

Advertising supports this site

Jake88X

RDC Crypto
Stupid question. Can you only talk to other ICOM PTT phones or can you call other cell phones?

Jessaca

RDC Crypto
Website
www.wickedracingca.com
Stupid question. Can you only talk to other ICOM PTT phones or can you call other cell phones?
You can talk to other PTT in your network, or use it as a phone. That’s with the extreme which is a sat phone. The icom, I believe is only PTT with people in your network. It’s considered a radio, not a phone. I could be wrong though.

landshark

RDC Crypto
The ICOM IC-SAT100 PTT are only PTT to other handhelds
The Iridium 9575 Extremes are PTT and Sat Phones

We used both at the last B1K and they were great for race and chase with the PCI switch box for Sat/VHF and it worked flawless for almost the whole race (Power lead came loose at mile 350 and ran on battery for a few hours then died). The Iridiums were significantly cheaper as rentals options - 33% less last time i checked in April

Last edited:

B.HAGLE

Solutions
RDC Crypto
How is the new rule with score going to work with the ICOM sat 100 ??? Is it not a closed network?

How do they expect you to reach out to them or anyone in an emergency without a sat phone ?