Best shocks for a K2500 Sub?

ScottWisdom

Reaction
Need advice on which shocks to buy for my 1995 Chevy K2500 Suburban (4WD w/454). I use it as my daily driver and to tow my 10,000lb enclosed race trailer (yep, it's a heavy trailer). I don't use it as a prerunner, but I do use it on occasion to retrieve broken race vehicles.

Front suspension is stock. I have air bags on the rear for heavy towing. Tire size is 265x75x16. I've been running the Edelbrock AIS shocks for the last three or four year. I bought them when they first hit the market and got sucked into their marketing hype. I've not been satisfied with their performance on or off the highway.

The new Rancho 9000s have been recommended. Is this the best choice for my application?

Need help from the pros. Bring it on!

ScottWisdom

Reaction
Thanks, Justin. Can you expand on your recommendation for Bilsteins? Do you have them on your vehicle? Are you recommending them because they're less expensive or because they provide better performance?

Bilsteins are under $70, Rancho 9000s are about $80, but I'm more focused on performance than cost.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
They are just the just the best shock for that application. Last the longest and perform the best on or off the highway. You won't be disappointed.

I can only lead you to water, I cannot force you to drink it.

Kbach66

Reaction
I'd have to agree with the Bilstien's being a good choice. I've got them on my silverado, and am pretty happy with the all around performanct that they give. They work good for the little bit of off highway time they see (desert race spectating, desert MX races, etc...no whoops!) The only complaint that I would have is that on the freeway whoops...alright expansion joints, it gets a little see-saw motion going. If I have any weight in the back, it's much better so I'd tend to think that the weight of the suburban body would make it ride pretty good.