Best trailers for off-road vehicles

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
Dont go faster than 55mph in some areas of Ca highways, I got popped for speeding the very first day I bought my first trailer. It was empty and I was easily cruising at 70mph before getting pulled over in a speed trap. CHP asked me if I knew why I got pulled over, told him I had no clue...said I was speeding 15mph over the speed limit pulling my trailer

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Dont go faster than 55mph in some areas of Ca highways, I got popped for speeding the very first day I bought my first trailer. It was empty and I was easily cruising at 70mph before getting pulled over in a speed trap. CHP asked me if I knew why I got pulled over, told him I had no clue...said I was speeding 15mph over the speed limit pulling my trailer

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I got popped for speeding with a trailer in the fast lane years ago with a UHaul trailer loaded with a SnapOn rollaway box I purchased in Henderson, driving back to MoVal... The officer said he could write me for speeding with the trailer or towing in the wrong lane... I picked towing in the wrong lane and my insurance did not go up...

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
What type of tires do you typically run? Trailer tires or light truck tires?

We run the General AT2 235-85-16 tires and so far never an issue. When we ran trailer tires we had nothing but flats.

We also recommend the Yiro trailers for towing your race vehicle as they are a great value.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Why did you choose to go with 6-lug axles? Will you be towing it with a 1/2 ton or 3/4-1 ton truck. I'd think especially for towing in Baja having a common bolt pattern would be a good thing. And I would not want to do any serious towing with a 1/2 ton truck so I would have opted for 8-lug axles to match the tow rig...

Jacob7672

Nimrod de Ashcraft
Reaction
Why did you choose to go with 6-lug axles? Will you be towing it with a 1/2 ton or 3/4-1 ton truck. I'd think especially for towing in Baja having a common bolt pattern would be a good thing. And I would not want to do any serious towing with a 1/2 ton truck so I would have opted for 8-lug axles to match the tow rig...

The common axle lug pattern is somewhat depending on the weight limit per axle. It normally goes 7500lb 8 on 6.5", 5000lb 6 on 5.5" (I think), and most common 3500lb 5 on 4.5".

I'm sure they make a lot more but those are the really common axles.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

johndjmix

Reaction
One big thing a lot of guys miss is tires. Go with SUV or commercial truck tires, NOT trailer tires. BFG commercial T/A's is what we run. "Trailer" tires always seem to have issues with blowouts.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

CodyParkhouse

Reaction
One big thing a lot of guys miss is tires. Go with SUV or commercial truck tires, NOT trailer tires. BFG commercial T/A's is what we run. "Trailer" tires always seem to have issues with blowouts.

The reason people have more issues with trailer tires is because they are only rated to 65mph max unless you find a "high speed" rated trailer tire. Then we tow at normal driving speeds, exceeding what a trailer tire is built for. Also trailers tend to get overloaded to what the tires are rated for. That is why trailers get a lot more blowouts and separations even when the air is checked regularly and the tire is perfectly fine when the drive is started.

steve scott

Reaction
The reason people have more issues with trailer tires is because they are only rated to 65mph max unless you find a "high speed" rated trailer tire. Then we tow at normal driving speeds, exceeding what a trailer tire is built for. Also trailers tend to get overloaded to what the tires are rated for. That is why trailers get a lot more blowouts and separations even when the air is checked regularly and the tire is perfectly fine when the drive is started.
Sure you don't remember me but you helped me with my GPS before a race when I was running a RZR. Great to read your post. If you don't mind sharing briefly your road to recovery and how your doing now.

McCredie A

Reaction

Thank you for the information. Since you are in the tire industry what would you recommend for a trailer? Are there any negatives running a truck tire?

IvanDan

Reaction
18' Trailers Unlimited with removable tongue and 50 gallon fuel station.

output-1.jpg
output.jpg
output-1.jpg