• Forum membership has its advantages....

best transmission for 700HP SBF

milktoast

Curious what people are using for Higher HP SBF race trucks? C-6, TH400 or other? My budget is pretty decent but not in the sequential trans range. Currently running 500HP on a 374ci SBF weighing 5500 lbs and using Art Carr built c-4 but I know when my truck is ready to race (next year) I will want something more stout. I know I will be upgrading to a SBF in the 700HP range in the near future so I want to install the right transmission with that in mind.

Also, what trans companies would you recommend looking into?

Thanks in advance!

Bert is my name

The Reid case allows the use of the 4l80e center support and a few other parts to build a th400 that will hold up to a ton of hard driving. The aftermarket seems to have a vasco or 300m part for pretty much everything in the th400 making strong parts easy to come by. Not too many of the Ford transmissions can say that. With all the bellhousings available for the Reid case I don't see investing the money to build a c6. Do some research on the th400 and the Reid case and the answer becomes pretty clear. Also the 400 has straight cut planetaries available for that racecar sound.

milktoast

The Reid case allows the use of the 4l80e center support and a few other parts to build a th400 that will hold up to a ton of hard driving. The aftermarket seems to have a vasco or 300m part for pretty much everything in the th400 making strong parts easy to come by. Not too many of the Ford transmissions can say that. With all the bellhousings available for the Reid case I don't see investing the money to build a c6. Do some research on the th400 and the Reid case and the answer becomes pretty clear. Also the 400 has straight cut planetaries available for that racecar sound.
Thank you for all of the info. Definitely pointed in the right direction now and sounds like this trans can be pretty much bulletproofed. Are there any upsides/downsides to the straight cut planetaries? loss of HP or excessive wear?
What sort of ballpark price range will I be looking at for a well built T400? Are there other options aside from Culhane or are they more or less the go to?

Bert is my name

G.m. used straight cut planetaries in cab and chassis applications. I've heard that they are a lower ratio (higher numerically). I believe the designation for that transmission is th475. As far as pricing and builders are concerned that all depends on your budget. I've had good luck with Mike's transmissions in Lancaster ca. And continental converters. Those were in sub 10 second drag cars making just north of 1500 horsepower. But culhane has a killer reputation with the offroad community.

milktoast

With reid case, and all good stuff inside 11g . Maximum in hesperia
Thanks for the info, they look like a solid company as well. That is some trans for 11g. I've never seen an output shaft housing like that before.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk