Best truck frame to start with?

richard cretsinger

Thinking about building a new truck, a full size legal class 8. have already built a Ranger, 1450 class. now we are thinking about making it fully legal. We are Ford guys so that is what we want to build. What year frames are the best to start with. Also, we are I beam lovers, keep this in mind. ive heard that 80-81 short bed frames are good, but dont know if that meant f150 or f250. thanks in advance for any info.

Sparky

Well, we started with a late 70's frame. Eventually re-cabbed and re-skinned to later style body. We won several MDR class championships with it and the overall MDR series championship several years ago. It was a beam truck. Had regular leafs in the back when we bought it, upgraded to quarter-elliptical and eventually to c/o in the rear.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
1969-1972 1/2 ton frames are the best and they had forged beams and pivots just lookout for the bed bolts getting loose and grinding the top of the frame rails away The 1980-81 truck frames were hardened and swiss cheesed and total junk [you ever see any on the road anymore]

richard cretsinger

sweet, thanks, i was thinking the older frames would have been stronger. looks like i will be looking for a 69-72 frame. just curious, does any one know what Curt Leduc's class 8 had for a frame, i heard it was a van frame but not sure.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
I really doubt curts frame came out of a van they had very little arch from the passenger compartment forward to the front bumper and the back half was dam near flat not allowing any room for the rear axel at full bump.

Scott_F

I really doubt curts frame came out of a van they had very little arch from the passenger compartment forward to the front bumper and the back half was dam near flat not allowing any room for the rear axel at full bump.
That might be a plus if you design one of those chassis with the OEM frame lifted high above the floor. I still don't get the point of this class...

richard cretsinger

from what i heard, curt had the frame bent so that it would allow more up travel in the rear. this is all on a rumor, but it did come from a very good source. first name sandy.

slcpunk74

Do you really need the back of the frame? Why not just hack it off and run an all tube backhalf like what dugfab is doing in the slc ranger build.

richard cretsinger

if your going to build a v8 ranger, it is a 1450 or sportsman class right off the bat, and there really is no reason to cut the back half off. Doug is a great fabricator, and knows what he is doing dont get me wrong. get on bitd or scores website and find the list of rules for each class. you cant just build what you want and then hope it passes tech, class rules are pretty strict. fortunatly BORR is really lax on the rules, just getting entries is a struggle.

slcpunk74

if your going to build a v8 ranger, it is a 1450 or sportsman class right off the bat, and there really is no reason to cut the back half off. Doug is a great fabricator, and knows what he is doing dont get me wrong. get on bitd or scores website and find the list of rules for each class. you cant just build what you want and then hope it passes tech, class rules are pretty strict. fortunatly BORR is really lax on the rules, just getting entries is a struggle.
Chill man it was just a very simple question...

truggyboy

Back on the van frame thing, not sure what year, but some of the vans had a higher rear arch for the rear axle, herd of some people using those frames, but sorry dont remember the years.

richard cretsinger

i will call sandy cone again and find out. he seemed to know exactly what leduc was running.
sorry i didnt mean to come out for you to think that i needed to chill. was just stating that you cant just run what ever you want in every class.