Best welding joint

FabioP

Reaction
When you have to 3/16" plates that need to be soldered at 90* at the edge of both plates, what joint is best?

Attachments

Chase 2

Reaction
When you have to 3/16" plates that need to be soldered at 90* at the edge of both plates, what joint is best?
If you are soldering the joint, then I would use silver solder and would choose the joint with the lap. But if I was welding the joint, then I would choose the edge to edge for the 100% penetration.

FabioP

Reaction
If you are soldering the joint, then I would use silver solder and would choose the joint with the lap. But if I was welding the joint, then I would choose the edge to edge for the 100% penetration.
:p my bad. I meant brazing:D

Serious now. It will be WELDED.

Chase 2

Reaction
I would use the same choices with brazing and welding.

Brazing is just soldering at temps above what? 600F or 800F? The solder/braze will flow into the lap of the joint and out the other side and that will make a pretty strong joint actually. The fillet on the edge to edge joint with a soft braze or solder will not be as strong as the lap.

The edge to edge joint when welded is much faster to do and will almost be hard not to get full penetration.