Better than scotch brite

jrtorres

Reaction
Ok my boss left the superlite outside all night right after if got washed and today i spent ALL day scrubbing the thing down with wd-40 and scotch brite..my fingers are numb and i probably inhaled a gallon of wd......is there a better way to get rid of this surface rust...beside not leaving it outside or mop and glow

Reaction
Schaffers "Citrol" cuts the rust better and quicker than WD40. Gets down in the pitting better and I assume the citric acid eats the surface rust. In any case, it's much quicker than WD40 but you still have to use the scotch brite pad.

There's been several threads about various coatings to minimize future rusting.

jrtorres

Reaction
thanks for the tip! i'm gonna try it for sure.....and ya if i had any say about what went on in the shop they would all be coated to prevent this crapola but...i'm the new guy at the moment so i don't haha

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
i have some scrub pads i bought can,t remember where i think RONA in the paint department , they are 2" wide , 4" long and maybe 1/2" think , they come in a pack of 4 , there is several colours/grits like scotchbrite they work really well i use them on my lathe for taking the dark skin off DOM , they work way better when compared to scotchbrite pads do on the lathe

Tipracer

Reaction
There are mandrels available that allow you to insert the abrasive material into a chuck so you can use a cordless drill....way faster and it saves your fingers...or make them yourself

randy1123

Reaction
Muratic acid....the stuff you put into your pool. works incredible

Be careful with that, try not to breath too much of it.
You will need to dilute it? It leaves a film left behind, and don't drip any on the concrete.

jrtorres

Reaction
Muratic acid....the stuff you put into your pool. works incredible

hmm i have a bunch of that sitting in the back yard....thanks for the ideas guys...i'm running of patience..there are 5 superlites in the shop and i'm on number three in four days :rolleyes:

joe1369

Reaction
Be careful with that, try not to breath too much of it.
You will need to dilute it? It leaves a film left behind, and don't drip any on the concrete.

How much do you dilute it??? 2-1 with water??? and how do you neutralize it or is that not a big deal, muratic cleans bricks great, but wash off with water don't you get more rust??? or is that when you go with the wd-40??? or ?? tool black, I think I have heard it called.:cool:

D-rek

Reaction
I don't dilute it. I just use it in a spray bottle and scotch brite pad. I use rubber gloves as well. I just wipe it off with a rag and then put some oil on to protect the metal.

diirk

Reaction
There are mandrels available that allow you to insert the abrasive material into a chuck so you can use a cordless drill....way faster and it saves your fingers...or make them yourself

Any links for the mandrels for a drill? This is something I could really use....

Tipracer

Reaction
Now that you see it you understand how easy it is to make

diirk

Reaction
No kidding. A bolt, a couple of washers, a nut. Throw in a couple of tack welds and you're done. Are the scotchbrite pads round?
What's the best pad for removing paint/powdercoat to prep for welding? Specifically using either a drill or die grinder?

Tipracer

Reaction
I have used scothbrite pads that i have cut round and stacked a couple on but they would spin, the other problems I had was if I made the abrasive too long and used a higher speed it would fall apart rather quickly, some companies(3m) make small sanding attachments that are round and have replaceable sanding elements but the are kinda expensive and take off too much material. The solution I ended up using was a 4x6 sheet of scotch brite(btw there are other mfgrs. of this type of abrasive that last a lot longer but they get expensive as well and are not as readilly availible) cutting it into 4 equal pieces and stacking it onto the mandrel, torquing the nuts together kinda hard and using a medium speed w/ wd-40, you can use a die grinder to get into the small spaces, it will save you a lot of time and really save your fingers from fatigue.

jrtorres

Reaction
thanks guys...i finally finished today....and they make disks for air tools of scotch brite

dirtdudeaz

Reaction
the air tool scotch brite pads work well. They are maroon in color. If you are polishing aluminum especially or anything else, spin the pad on some bar soap before you go and it'll make it last a little longer.

foley

Reaction
I live out here in TX where EVERYTHING rusts.

I find that PB blaster is much more effective than WD40 for coating metal to resist rust while working on it.

Good part is that Tractor Supply Co sells PB blaster in 1 gallon cans you can use with a sprayer.

DamnitJuice

Reaction
what about using this stuff... http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/sem69508.html
friend of mine worked for a hot rod shop and siad they would use it all the time for body rust. goes on like water using just a sponge style paintbrush.
as for coverage its about the same as getting something wet. basically apply the stuff to mild rust, it eliminates it, and protects it without and elbow grease involved.

joe1369

Reaction
what about using this stuff... http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/sem69508.html
friend of mine worked for a hot rod shop and siad they would use it all the time for body rust. goes on like water using just a sponge style paintbrush.
as for coverage its about the same as getting something wet. basically apply the stuff to mild rust, it eliminates it, and protects it without and elbow grease involved.

I like it, looks like elbow grease in a bottle!!!!! Anyone try it???:)

diirk

Reaction
Sounds like it does the same thing as Naval Jelly.