• Forum membership has its advantages....

Beware of Classifieds scams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klaus

Administrator
Originaly posted on "the Samba" website.
URL: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=253

Also read the Nigerian Warning
URL: http://www.ifccfbi.gov/strategy/11403NigerianWarning.pdf

Multiple people have been contacted from African, European, or U.S. buyers involving a common scam. Most of these people are actually based in Nigeria, regardless of where they say they are located.

Scam Example:
• Your vehicle or part is for sale for $3000.
• The buyer wants to have his friend, business partner, or employee send you $9000 because his friend or business partner owes him $6000.
• You are supposed to cash his bank check for $9000 and then send the remaining $3000 to the buyer, usually by Western Union.
• DO NOT DO THIS! It is a scam. You deposit the check and then send the buyer the extra $6000. The bank check either bounces or was a forgery and you lose your $6000. They don't want your car, just the cash - the car is never picked up.

Similar scams involve:
• The buyer sends you the cost of your car + the cost of shipping. Later, they say they have taken care of shipping and ask for you to refund the shipping cost. They keep your refund and the original bank check bounces.
• The buyer sends you the cost of your car + the cost of shipping. You are supposed to forward money to the shipper. The shipper is them using a different name or their partner in crime. You will lose whatever money you send.

• Beware of anyone "representing a client".
• Beware of any buyers from Saudi Arabia or Egypt who want to wire you money.
• Beware of anyone who does not ask you specific questions about your vehicle.
• Beware of anyone who speaks with you on the phone through a operator-assisted relay call (Normally used for deaf or mute people)
• Beware of anyone using an email from "outblaze.net" or "Powered by Outblaze" - there seems to be a large number of scam artists using this service.
Why do they say they want the money sent by Western Union? Because this puts cash directly into the scammers hands immediately.

Beware of people (who may say they are from outside the US) expressing interest in buying your vehicle and who want your address immediately. Do not give out your address before making an appointment to show the car, and only provide the address to the person who will be coming over. Ask them some questions (about themselves, their relationship to the buyer, their knowledge of VW's, what they will be driving, etc.) so that you can be reasonably assured that they are credible before you give out your address.

Why do they want your personal information?
Here is one answer from a site visitor:
"They take the information that they gather from the classified scams; Name, address, phone number, etc. and call you claiming to be a credit card company, Federal Loan Office or some other organization that has "money" for you. They then request your credit card or bank account information in an attempt to charge your card or draw all of the money out of your bank account. They are very clever and will actually transfer you to different "departments" to process your information. They build your cofidence by knowing all of your personal information and are busy on the computer researching banks in your area."

One basic method to follow is this:
If any deal requires you to send the buyer money, it is a scam.

Additional information:
National news story
More info and links
U.S. Secret Service 419 scams page
A sample fake bank check:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=52221

Report Fraud:
http://www.ifccfbi.gov/

If you receive a scam email, please forward it to me so I can block their email from contacting sellers on the site.

Klaus

Administrator
Some example emails used on the race-dezert.com classifieds:

category: Sale; date:Jul 17, 2005
remote URL:
remote IP:196.3.60.17
sending message
message: This message from: [email protected] to ( ad # 00000 ) This is Engr Karl harrison, i am interested in the purchase of above named vehicle iterm adverticed on www.race-dezert.com. i Think i am a bit sactisfied with the details provided on the advert , but will also appriciate if you can provide more details on its present condiction and operation since i will now be the new owner . please get back to me with the below information :, 1) If it is still available for sale? 2) email me the last offer price you will accept for it: 3) if anything needs to be replaced before use: i am not arround now and probably be for a long time because my wife just had a new baby, (very happy). I await your email with considerable price so we can arrange payment soon. Urgent response will be highly appriciated. Thanks with Kind Regards, Karl.

-----------

category: Sale; date:Jul 18, 2005
remote URL:
remote IP:193.220.45.8
sending message
message: This message from: [email protected] to ( ad # 00000 ) Hello, Am intrested in purchasing your ###### for sale kindly give me the last price,together with the pictures and the shipment will take care by me,hope to hear from you soonest Martins

-----------

category: Sale; date:Jun 6, 2005
remote URL:
remote IP:195.166.237.40
sending message
message: This message from: [email protected] to ( ad # 00000 ) Hello seller, I saw your advert and i'm interested in purchasing your #######,with the price;$1250 I will want you to get back to me with the following infos.if it is still available. 1.It's present condition 2.An updated pics{if any** 3.Your last offer. I will make payment with a check or money order if it is still available.Hope to hear from you in earnest. regards, shane.

-----------

category: Sale; date:Jun 6, 2005
remote URL:
remote IP:212.247.93.242
sending message
message: This message from: [email protected] to ( ad # 00000 ) Hello, I saw your advertisement for the sales of your (##### ) , I am interested in buying. However, your urgent reply is needed so as to hasten the Transaction if my offer sound nice.Also kindly provide the condition and the last offering price of the (item)you can also send me the pics if any. if it will arouse my interest to patronise you. Waiting to hear from you very soon. Thanks

-----------

category: Sale; date:Jun 8, 2005
remote URL:
remote IP:209.214.255.11
sending message
message: This message from: [email protected] to ( ad # 00000 ) Hello seller , I just saw the advert of your ( ADS) ,which you have for sale and i decided to mail you and find outif it is still for sale. I would like to know the present condition and your last offer price with a photo. Thanks as i await to hear from you soon. Sincerely

----------

category: Sale; date:Jul 11, 2005
remote URL:
remote IP:81.199.84.131
sending message
message: This message from: [email protected] to ( ad # 00000 ) Hello, I saw your advertisement for the sales of your (#####) , I am interested in buying. However, your urgent reply is needed so as to hasten the Transaction if my offer sound nice.Also kindly provide the condition and price of the Goods if it will arouse my interest to patronise you. Waiting to hear from you very soon. Thanks

------------

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.