Beware the late-night Drive-thru

scott-dsms

Orange
Reaction
You want fries with that dui? Will JROD be working the drive-thru? :D LOL

TUCSON, Ariz. — Drunken Arizona drivers with the late-night munchies may soon be getting more than chicken strips at drive-through windows.

The Pima County Sheriff's Department has a new campaign targeting drunken driving. Operation Would U Like Fries, or Operation WULF, will put undercover deputies inside 24-hour fast-food restaurants to spot impaired drivers placing their orders.

Sgt. Doug Hanna, a DUI unit supervisor, says if deputies notice someone with classic symptoms of impairment — slurred speech, red or watery eyes or beer breath — they will have a uniformed deputy stationed outside pull the driver over.

Hanna says money for the intermittent program is coming from a $128,000 grant from the Governor's Office of Highway Safety.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,526243,00.html

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Dominos pizza tried this in Flagstaff a long time ago but they were busting people for weed. A 50 dollar reward was given to delivery guys who told on customers when they delivered to a house and there was the smell of marijuana there. By the end of the first night they had a few busts. Everyone they busted had the same story in the holding cell. "We were sitting there eating pizza and then all of a sudden the cops just showed up and busted us." It did not take long for them to figure out what happened...

Before the weekend was over there were "Ban Dominoes Pizza" bumper stickers all over town and the pizza place quickly dropped the program.

I know drinking and driving is much more of a dangerous crime than bong loads and pizza at home but I suspect that the repercussions against a restaurant who knowingly participates in a sting like this will be the same. They could probably eradicate drunk driving entirely in my city by doing this at the "Filiberto's" by ASU just once.

Last edited:

mattb

Reaction
These restaurants have gotta know that it will be suicide if they allow this to happen at their facilities. Good luck with this one.

scott-dsms

Orange
Reaction
Dominos pizza tried this in Flagstaff a long time ago but they were busting people for weed. A 50 dollar reward was given to delivery guys who told on customers when they delivered to a house and there was the smell of marijuana there. By the end of the first night they had a few busts. Everyone they busted had the same story in the holding cell. "We were sitting there eating pizza and then all of a sudden the cops just showed up and busted us." It did not take long for them to figure out what happened...

Before the weekend was over there were "Ban Dominoes Pizza" bumper stickers all over town and the pizza place quickly dropped the program.

I know drinking and driving is much more of a dangerous crime than bong loads and pizza at home but I suspect that the repercussions against a restaurant who knowingly participates in a sting like this will be the same. They could probably eradicate drunk driving entirely in my city by doing this at the "Filiberto's" by ASU just once.

I could see a bunch of legal issues arising from the Dominoes program. The state's evidence is..."the pizza guy smelled weed" so we came over and busted everyone. Kinda of weak if you ask me. Aren't search warrants etc required for pulling someone out of their house etc...? Unless the police witnessed it themselves I could see a lot of criminal cases being thrown out. Of course I do realize that Arizona is real hard on weed so the laws may be different.

What if a skunk was wandering around spraying the place when the pizza guy made his delivery? :D

Any police want to chime in on this?

baja619

Reaction
Not that i condone Drinking and driving but why not avoid the drive thru restaurant with the uniformed LEO stationed out side?

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
Reaction
If they did this at bertos in parker it would be over for EVERYONE! ive seen my former vice principal and a couple teachers hammered in there not to mention a few other VIPs. for some reason bertos has always been sort of a safe haven.... its weird

michael_loomis

Reaction
I know for a fact that if they do this at Albertos, it would be game over for A LOT of people.

I know for a FACT, that if they did this at ANY food vendor ending in 'tos after 2am, bars will go out of business, as their clients will all be locked up!

Stimpy

Reaction
Amorando's on mission is way better then Albetacos!