BFG Baja 37's

Project1500

BFG Baja 37\'s

I am going to get some BFG Baja 37x12.50r17 tires for my truck.
What rim width should I run between 8-10"?

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Re: BFG Baja 37\'s

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

8- we used to run 9's on the Excursion and cut sidewalls. We have had much less flats since we have ran 8's, plus the APP Wheels help out a lot too...

Matt Scaroni
SMD Motorsports
Flat-Bill Up

Project1500

Whats the difference between the 37x17 and 315/75r16 (35x12.50 16) BFG baja tire and I am not talking about the ribbed sidewall 37's.

Hows balancing and alligning with the 37's compared to the 35's?

John Bitting

Administrator

The difference between the street tire is weight and size. The 37 is gonna be harder to find a place to mount and balance for sure. Most machines only go up to 35" tires.

ACID_RAIN28

Isn't the differance between the street tire and the race tire is that there are more plys and no steel belting on the race tire or they are bias with belt?

"Everything you do is triggered by an emotion of either desire or fear."

DMSRACE

Tucker Tire in covina can do it. 626-332-1142...ask for Scott

Racer

To live life half throttle would be a waste....

jeff

When your Tuckered, your Tired.

Unless your truck is built to handle the additional weight/size of the 37 I'd suggest the 35 or metric equivalent. Heavier (and larger diameter) tires naturally have more inertia than smaller tires and this means increased wear, reduced power, and the requirement of stronger (heavier) parts to keep it all together. It takes either a lot of beans or a low (numerically high) gear to turn a 37" tire. I still think the 37's are a big boy tire and if you are running a big boy truck it's okie dokie. I think 35's are more realistic for streetable trucks owned and driven by the not so big boy - anyone disagree?

Now to the differences. Other than the obvious, the 37's use a four ply nylon carcass whereas the other sizes use a 3 ply carcass. There might also be a difference in the center tread patch that runs the full circumference of the tire - not sure on that though.

One last thing... BFG builds lots of "special tires" for the big teams. These special tires aren't supposed to ever make it to the public but sometimes they do. Watch out for some of the special tires because in certain cases they can be many POUNDS heavier than the same size off-the-shelf tire. I remember carrying six of the metric Projects with the huzza guzza Kevlar reinforcement and they were MUCH heavier than the normal tires. That kind of weight difference can cause big problems if you aren't prepared.

Aloha

Jeff made a very good point. There is no reason to run 37 unless your truck is set up for it. They are great tires, but they weigh a lot, and are terrible to drive down the road especially when they are cold. Your best best bet, if it is going to be building something you are going to drive down a lot, you might want to go with a set of All Terrains or give up some of the nice drive-ability on the road and go with 35 Baja T/A's.

Matt Scaroni
SMD Motorsports
Flat-Bill Up

Project1500

My truck will be able handle the 37's, I got the power and gears to make up for the increased size.

Weight:
37x12.50r17 75lbs
35x12.50r16 61lbs

14lb difference between the two (this is the weights for the bajas sold to the public)

jeff

Plus the weight of the larger wheel. Do you have any current pics of the truck? As long as you think your truck has the beans to handle the weight by all means run the big dog tire.

Aloha

fnkrngr

Will it affect the handling characterists since there is more weight such as unsprung weight? And also would anyone care to explain unsprung weight and its effects on the suspension?

You dont know the looks i get with this truck on the east coast.

ACID_RAIN28

It is not so much the power issue, more or less the wheel bearing issue, will they hold, I belive dan switched to 35" for the first jump contest and killed his wheel bearings.

"Everything you do is triggered by an emotion of either desire or fear."

Project 1500, it doesnt matter whether your motor can handle it, anybody can gear something down and run 37 on it no problem, the question is whether you suspension can handle it. If you wanted, you could gear a pinto to run 37's. Gearing and motor are only a small part of the equation. To run a 37 right, you need to have a good set of spindles, steering components, and strong strong suspension components.

Matt Scaroni
SMD Motorsports
Flat-Bill Up

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire

Some big ass brakes to stop them too.....

See ya in the dirt!

hoeker

don't ever underestimate the effect of bigger tires on braking ability, this is so often overlooked.

going from a 35" DOT tire to the CORR 35" project tire and 17" wheels adds about 200lbs to the truck. that is huge!! i'm sure the desert tires are built just as heavy or heavier than our SC tires. brakes are the single biggest problem with guys running pro-2 and sportman 2, just can't stop the truck with those big tires

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Project1500

"Project 1500, it doesnt matter whether your motor can handle it, anybody can gear something down and run 37 on it no problem, the question is whether you suspension can handle it. If you wanted, you could gear a pinto to run 37's. Gearing and motor are only a small part of the equation. To run a 37 right, you need to have a good set of spindles, steering components, and strong strong suspension components."

I got the suspension to handle the 37's, I got the gears for that tire size,and I have plenty of power.

So I am going to run 37's on a app thunder II 17x8 wheels. If you dont like it its ok you cant see it from your house.

Thanks for the heads up...

havahockey

Flipper

"So I am going to run 37's on a app thunder II 17x8 wheels. If you dont like it its ok you cant see it from your house. "

I think he means maybe tell us the specs on your truck as far as motor, suspenion, etc go.

Race-Dezert Anonymous - Step #1:
"Hello, my name is Jason. And I'm a Race-Dezertaholic."

Project1500

The tires are going on a 2002 silverado 2wd 4.8L 10" whiplash kit with custom powder coating cherry red and 5" and 3" stacked block in the rear, 373 gear ratio, Fiberglass fenders, with a K&N filter (it gave me 15 horsepower for real). It wont have a problem handling the tires at all! It was setup so well and it has coilovers!!!

In_the_works

Stacked blocks? ouch. I don't envy the wheel hop you're gonna have on those new 37's.

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250
'03 Sonoma
Look at me! I'm a member.