• Forum membership has its advantages....

BFG Class winners poster

retroblazer

I was going through some of my junk yesterday, and I found this old poster. I don't know the exact year, but I'm guessing it is from 1990-1991ish. My Blazer won the Championship that year with the original builder, Herb Rosbourgh. Herb had had Geoff Dorr design and build the suspension and cage. After racing the Blazer for a season, Herb then sold the Blazer to Gerald Foster, who won the Class 3 for three or four years. The Blazer was then dropped off at Curt Leduc's in CA, where it was stripped to prepare to convert it to a Class 4 truck. After stripping the Blazer, it was abandoned, when they decided to build a new Class 4 from scratch. I found the Blazer in Foster's Southern Illinois junkyard in the weeds
re-kindled-dream.jpg
re-kindled-dream2.jpg

retroblazer

bajajimober 125.JPG

One month after we pulled it out of the junkyard, we were in Baja for the 1998 Baja 1000. We made it 200 miles before broken t-case mount caused a DNF.

Bro_Gill

retro- See a Checkers sticker on there. Did you sign up for the 1 time race support deal or was a Checkers member involved with your effort?

retroblazer

Checkers was a one-time deal. They gave us some moron, who was useless, and then when we broke down, and were stranded, there were no Checkers to be found. I'm sure if you are a regular member, it would be different. I have met some Checkers that were cool, so I'm not out to bash them.

retroblazer

When I first came out from Illinois, I was lucky enough to be pitted by TERRA. They were small, but highly effective, and treated me like I was one of their own. I guess I got spoiled.

Bro_Gill

Checkers doesn't do chase crews, they do stationary pits. If you broke where they were close, and they had extra bodies, they would try to send someone out. I don't understand what you mean when you said they gave you some moron, was it a co-rider?

retroblazer

Checkers doesn't do chase crews, they do stationary pits. If you broke where they were close, and they had extra bodies, they would try to send someone out. I don't understand what you mean when you said they gave you some moron, was it a co-rider?
No, he was not a co-driver, he was given to us to carry around. Rather than list the litany of stuff that he did or didn't do, I would be happy to leave the matter in the past. My apologies for going negative.

retroblazer

On a more humorous note, my crew, made up primarily of racers from the Midwest and ECoast, talked about duct taping him to a telephone pole, with a note to Checkers. Years later, we would joke about it saying" Check, Check, Checkers ... I guess you had to be there. Oh well, you loyal Checkers, please don't throw rocks at the red and white Blazer. I may not be driving !!

The story of that night, when the driver and codog spent the night on the mountain, freezing their private parts small, and the Baja fix that finally got them down, will have to wait.

robertharman

Would you be willing to private message me who The Checker member was that was with you. Oh, and you wouldn't be the first to duck tape a Checker to a chair. LOL

robertharman

Also, That is a cool blazer you have.

retroblazer

There is a pretty good chance he's dead by now. It was 1998. Fortunately I don't remember the guy's name. Although when we told someone who it was at the time, they referred to him as," a high desert skid mark." He had no money and couldn't drive .Enough talking crap about people. There are a lot of great people that have helped me, and I need-needed every bit., and they outnumber the zombies a hundred to one.